Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001 | 06:07 PM
Advanced

Question Please Help!!

I know that the majority of you have 2nd generation TLs. I have a 1st generation TL and I've been searching for wheels for months. All of the wheels that I like, unfortunately, are 17" and higher. What I want to know is: although my OEMs are 15", if I were to put 17" wheels and tires on my car would I have to lower it and if I do why? I don't quite understand the reasoning for lowering a car. Isn't for appearance purposes only? Or does ride quality also play a part into it? Or just the individuals preference? This site has been such a tremendous help to me (especially this new forum). I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2001 | 07:29 PM
Pro

girldiva00,
Hello and welcome to the board(forum)!!

I have a friend with a 1st. generation 3.2TL and we're working on fixing up his car, just to give you an idea....

He has Eibach Springs....
and at first we put my '00TL wheels on his car, then he bought some IS300 wheels(it look's pretty sweet), then we're thinking of putting on my 19" C-5's(I might get some new wheels).

There a few reasons why people have springs installed in there car.
1) Performance (Handles better and lowers the cars center gravity)
2) Looks (gets rid of the wheel gap(4x4 look)

If what I mentioned above doesn't interest you at all....You don't have to get springs.

Here is something to keep in mind also when buying springs....
1) Besides buying the springs($180-300), you must have them installed($50-$100)
2) You have to get your car aligned($50-80)
3) If you don't buy shocks, the springs will most likely wear them out faster. Not to noticeable though.
4) Car will be lower, so must be careful of curbs and steep driveways.
5) The ride quality will be stiffer but you will have better response. It's a give and take thing

Don't get me wrong... I'am all for Springs and lowering the car but I wouldn't want you to get something you don't need just because most of us has them.

------------------
2000 ACURA 3.2TL NightHawkBlack
Non-Navi(Doesn't work in Hawaii)
Factory body kit & Wing, 19" Racing Hart C-5's,
Nitto 555's, NEX CoilOvers, CompTech Exhaust,
CompTech Headers, Inspire Taillights, NOS(70 shot),
AEM CAI, Alpine 8080, TL rear door handles in front,
Apexi v-afc, 5% + 30% tints,30% front windshield.

tann@pixi.com
Old 03-17-2001 | 07:52 PM
Advanced

Tann@808, Thank you so much for your help! Does your friend have the 205/55-16s or the 215/45-17s? If he has the 17s, how does that affect the ride, speed, etc.? I spoke with a guy at a tire shop and he said that I shouldn't get a tire beyond 215/55-16 but everything that I really like comes in sizes above 215 (e.g. 225). Originally, I was thinking of 225/50-17 until I poke with that guy. I really dislike the OEMs on my car...they do absolutely nada for the car. I just want to be aware of all of my choices as well as the advantages/ disadvantages of those choices.