Plasti Dipped OEM Rims with Black Acura Wheel Center Cap Decals

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Plasti Dipped OEM Rims with Black Acura Wheel Center Cap Decals

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, it's that lovely time of year when us lucky Michiganders get to take off our nice rims and are forced to put our winter boots on. It's always sad when the Motegi's have to go into hibernation

Anyways, let's get to the reason for my thread...

I was never really a fan of plain black Plasti Dipped rims, so I first tried taping off a design to add some character to the OEM rims. Unfortunately, I failed miserably and it turned out like crap. There was no need for an "after" picture of this epic fail.

This is my attempt at being innovative.

I don't know why I thought this would look good.

Here we go! Fail...

Anyways, I just decided to utilize the standard approach and Plasti Dipped the entire rim (front and back).

When putting the rims on my car, the breaker bar slipped and I chipped off a tiny section of Plasti Dip near the center cap. Please don't judge

It turned out better than I thought it would. For winter rims, I can deal. Take it or leave it haha.

When I Plasti Dipped my first rim, I made sure to insert cardboard pieces in between the rim and the tire (as you can see in the previous pictures). It seems like everyone and their brother recommends doing this in order to prevent oversray from getting on your tire. However, when I attempted to remove the cardboard pieces, the Plasti Dip adhered strongly to the cardboard itself and I had to use a utility knife to cut along the perimeter of the rim in order to separate the cardboard from the rest of the Plasti Dip on the rim. Additionally, the cardboard slits left a very ridged and ugly line all along the outer perimeter of the rim. I could see the aluminum showing through along the edge (sorry I didn't get pictures of this). Anyways, long story short, I recommend not inserting cardboard pieces. The Plasti Dip pretty much came right off of my tires with a little patience and elbow grease. It's definitely worth having a crisp solid line to help reduce the risk of peeling. I do recommend that you tape off any lettering that you may want to protect though.

Lastly, I ordered some Acura black circle wheel center cap decals to go with my Plasti Dipped rims. I was hesitant with the decal-look at first, but, I wasn't about to spend big bucks on brand new black center caps for my winter rims. Those stupid things are expensive! When I received the decals, I noticed that the the decal was actually made out of 3m vehicle vinyl (good quality). Once I installed them, I was pretty pleased with how well they accented the silver lug nuts. Here is a link for the decals that I purchased:

http://stickercrate.com/products/acura-black-circle-wheel-center-cap-decal-sset-of-5-decals

I hope this post was helpful to at least someone. Thanks guys!

Last edited by wusty23jd; 11-26-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Really like the black with the lug nuts and center cap silver!
The following users liked this post:
wusty23jd (12-13-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Good job brother!
wusty23jd (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Not bad at all breh, not bad at all.
wusty23jd (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Looks good on your car.
does the plasti dip come off when driving through ice slush?
or when driving through hard morning snow in the neighborhoods.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm from the Grand Rapids area and we just received our first big snow storm this past week. So far, I haven't noticed any chipping or peeling from the winter environment, but I will continue to keep an eye on it.

In total, I would estimate that I sprayed about 5 coats of Plasti Dip on each rim. I did this mainly because I made the mistake of initially applying the Plasti Dip when the cans were too cold. The liquid came out very blotchy at first, so I waited for the cans to warm up and did the best I could at evening out the spray. Normally, I think 3-4 coats should suffice for harsh winter climates. In the end, I think that mine turned out pretty good, but I was really worried after applying my first coat. Plasti Dip is tough stuff though, so I don't foresee any issues occurring. We shall see what happens in the upcoming months though.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Update

It's been about a month and a half and I have to say that the Plasti Dip is far exceeding my expectations. Despite trucking through ice, snow, and salt on a daily basis (Gosh, why don't I move) the wheels are pretty much in the same condition from a quality perspective. They're obviously dirty and its hard to tell if they're stained from the road debris, but I plan to give my car another thorough washing this weekend if it isn't too cold and will post pictures after.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Those look really good on your blacked out car.

Two brief notes:

1) I think you might have had issues with the cardboard around the rim because it's so thick. I've seen it done with playing cards, but never anything as thick as corrugated cardboard. That might have played a part in your troubles removing it.

2) You could use old graffiti trick of heating up the cans themselves before using. I'm not advising or condoning (ie. do at your own risk) but putting the cans in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds, shaking, and rewarming (repeat) will help thin out the contents as well as increase the pressure to get a thinner coat. Of course, leave it in too long and you'll have a dipped stove and kitchen.

Nice job though!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

1) Yes, I agree. I think that the thickness of the cardboard was the largest contributing factor.

2) Now there's an idea! Knowing my luck, things would likely not end well. However, that's a pretty neat idea if someone is in a time crunch.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi everyone,

If anyone is local in Michigan, I am selling these in Marketplace:

https://acurazine.com/forums/market/975777

Thanks!