Pirelli Zero Nero Follow-Up Report and Real Road Trip Evaluation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pirelli Zero Nero Follow-Up Report and Real Road Trip Evaluation.

After putting on 1000 miles on these PZN M+S babies I am happy to report that they exceeded my expectations- as they say in the ad! I did not only suffer thru the original EL 42, but also thru Kumho ASX which got only 15K before getting chewed up to the wear bars and beyond- causing howling noises and terrifying aqua- planing. Made sure tires were Road Force M+Balanced. Also had dealer do a 4 wheel alignment where we discovered the toe specs had changed significantly in less than 6 months when the last alignment was done. And ofcourse had the bump stop change done to prevent future premature and irregular wear. Well, my TL never drove so smooth, straight and silent!! Wow, what a pleasure! True, most new tires ride nicer than the previous worn/shot tires but it really hits home big time!
Road holding is excellent. The back roads and mountain ski towns in Cshiers and Boone,N.Carolina have more hairpin turns , switch backs and off chamber road changes than any road racing course. No complains even when pushed hard, it takes a set and grips good with no squeel. Heavy down pours caused no problem, cuts thru standing water like a champ. Even heavy rain grooves surfaces caused no pulling at all . They are a great value. Tire Rack was a pleasure do deal with. Their staff is very sharp and professional and tires arrived in 3 days at the installer. Ofcourse I am hoping to get more milage out of them than the other ones. Meanwhile I can highly recommend these to you all.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write-up. I am planning on going with the Neros this fall before the rainy season is upon us; I am really tired of the crappy EL-42s, but I only have 22,000 miles on them. They are like ugly carpeting in that they won't wear out.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the review. I am leaning towards these someday when I get my new wheels.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC... it's great to hear that you took the TL up there and tried her out on those winding roads. I took mine up their last November and had a blast!!! I'd love to have these ZeroNeros on it next time. Great write-up .
Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

"And ofcourse had the bump stop change done to prevent future premature and irregular wear."

Stupid question from a newbie, but what the heck is a bump stop change?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crosley
"And ofcourse had the bump stop change done to prevent future premature and irregular wear."

Yea I have no clue what that is either. I am getting these tires installed on Thursday. I would like to know what that is before my install.

Thanks for the review on the tires. Makes me feel even better about buying them. Now I just have to wait til Thursday to really know for myself.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Pro

My experience with these tires is very different.

I drove cross country with them and the rears were totally worn when I got to California. Pretty much bald.

The fronts however held up pretty well. I'm assuming that the rears wore the way they did because I had alot of stuff in the trunk and the back seat. I relocated here so I brought all my junk.

Is it possible for this kind of wear to happen? At times, I was sustaining speeds of 100+ during the trip. I'm sure that from all the weight back there, it must have caused it to create more friction.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
TSB 05-050 re: bump stops

Originally Posted by crosley

Check out https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141771 and TSB 05-050 mentioned therein regarding changing bump stops to prevent excessive rear tire wear.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
great write-up! I can say the same about my set of PZero Neros as well.

Great traction dry/wet and pretty decent in snow. Wonderful A/S tires.