AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   Painted BRAKE CALIPERS: PICS Products & DIY steps (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/painted-brake-calipers-pics-products-diy-steps-839610/)

JayVee 11-23-2011 10:36 AM

Painted BRAKE CALIPERS: PICS Products & DIY steps

Ok, my brakes are up for replacing soon and been on the fence of changing my rotors (at least the front) to POWER STOPS or something along that line. (Any recommendations ROTORS & PADS) While under the fender with this job, I was thinking of painting of painting my calipers with some G2 Epoxy paint as I have several times in the past with several cars. Any pics of other DIY jobs for those who can't afford ROTORA BBK and some Hi-end dollar kits like myself :(...LOL!

I am in a toss up of the following colors:

ORANGE
RED
BLACK
GOLD
BLUE

Pics details please: Thanks!

Steven Bell 11-23-2011 10:50 AM

I'd say go with red, and them do a little trimming around the nose and rear grill, like I did....

JayVee 11-23-2011 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 13381376)
I'd say go with red, and them do a little trimming around the nose and rear grill, like I did....

RED is always spot on and can NEVER go wrong! Especially on BLACK! But at the same time...Its common....Common for that reason already stated ;)

BTW, what do u mean trimmed around nose and grill? With the red? :whyme: maybe not. I want to keep the MURDERED classey look going on the body as much as possible and just letting the color pop by themselves behind my wheels. Mr Bell, where is your pics sir!?

did u notice I used the QUOTE WITH COMMENT button...lmao! :tomato::thumbsup::toocool::tongue:

06tl4life 11-23-2011 12:39 PM

go orange. it would look awesome on a black car with your gunmetal wheels

JayVee 11-23-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 06tl4life (Post 13381641)
go orange. it would look awesome on a black car with your gunmetal wheels

The guys at the body shop are the ones who gave me the idea to go ORANGE also...I think it would look sick... I guess I am just scared to go bold and have in reserve BLUE or RED... I am leaning more to the BLUE for 2 reasons. #1 everyone has RED. #2 because the pearl BLUE in NBP would just be setting it off and paying attention to the flow of details. I would like to see if anyone here has ever ventured to this side of designs... I am sure they have, just wanna see some examples to answer any doubt or questions within. :rolleyes:

But for some reason, I think the orange will be killin em! For example, who the hell would have though ORANGE rear vgiew mirrors and ORANGE wheels would have looked good... BLAH! No one! Execpt the one dam member who did it (forgot his name) and IT LOOKED FKN AMAZING!!! ;)

phatrick 11-23-2011 03:14 PM

Are you AT or MT?

Just painting regular calipers or brembos?

murph145 11-23-2011 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
think out of the box man :) don't do something so simple

Attachment 51718
2011 lexus starphire pearl.... very pearl blue in direct sun light

think of any car color you like and get the paint from this site.....

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

super easy to do.... first use some simple green clean the calipers.... use some 600 grit sand paper to scuff up.... then spray on paint 4 coats and then use there high gloss clear and do 4 coats as well.... paint looks awesome... cans spray like an air brush you will be happy!

we just did my friends G37s in 2004 nissan A17 lemans sunset color they sparkle like mad in direct sun ....

Attachment 51719

JayVee 11-23-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by phatrick (Post 13381967)
Are you AT or MT?

Just painting regular calipers or brembos?

Good Question... Thanks!

Regular stock base model calipers / AT

Originally Posted by murph145 (Post 13382060)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/murph145/jly.jpg

super easy to do.... first use some simple green clean the calipers.... use some 600 grit sand paper to scuff up.... then spray on paint 4 coats and then use there high gloss clear and do 4 coats as well.... paint looks awesome... cans spray like an air brush you will be happy!

we just did my friends G37s in 2004 nissan A17 lemans sunset color they sparkle like mad in direct sun ....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...h145/photo.jpg

That color is ill! Pics of it complete with wheels and tires pls! And all that was done while still assembled?

Jesstzn 11-23-2011 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some of mine I have done

Attachment 51715

Attachment 51716

Attachment 51717

Jesstzn 11-23-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by murph145 (Post 13382060)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/murph145/jly.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...h145/photo.jpg

How are they holding up to the brake heat over time?

rockstar143 11-23-2011 08:23 PM

stop quoting the pics for goodness sake!

murph, surprised you didn't point him at this thread...
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/d-097-brembo-caliper-color-combos-not-56k-829109/

Jay...good stuff here...will help you make a decision.

I'm in the same boat, wasn't sure what to do with...but I'm going with silver with black brembo letters. Funny enough, was in the same debate in my head...so easy to take the blue theme too far for me...red is not an option, copper/orange is nice, but I feel like it might stand out TOO Much. Not sure...

:)

TheChamp531 11-24-2011 04:10 AM

The orange wheels and mirrors were from bforbrian btw. :)

rockstar143 11-27-2011 10:51 AM

16 Attachment(s)
Ok...so this long holiday weekend, decided to tackle this, since I knew I could leave my car out of commission and take my time.

Got 2 things done, swapped out my ebay special jpower front camber balljoint to the spc one. I have to say, the jpower people did a GREAT job of copying the style. It's identical, save for the 17mm castle nut vs the 16mm spc (lucky I realized before I stripped it). Also, the SPC one, when you tighten it down, it actually presses the balljoint into the upper control arm, the ebay one was moveable as soon as you'd loosen the upper nut.

Next up, I got my brake calipers and hubs/discs done. I had done a half assed job of spraying the discs in silver a year ago:whyme:, but I definitely didn't prep correctly. I'll probably end up getting some zinc plated brakemotive discs down the line, but this'll buy me some time.

On to the pics...I made a semi DIY, although I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory. Won't bother with the camber pics, although there's one of the spc one installed.
:thumbsup:

Here's what we're starting with...some rusty hubs and here are some good pics of the bubbling that was occurring on my brembos...the final push I needed to go ahead with repainting them.
Attachment 51691
Attachment 51692
prepped everything at once, wiped down with some natural solvent stuff for the kitchen, then sanded with 50 grit and then 150, then wiped down again, then taped up, then wiped down with IPA. I learned on one side, use 150, the 50 leaves deep scratch marks, but you have to look closely to see them.
Attachment 51693
Attachment 51694
depending on your rims, you can see some parts of where the rim seats against the hub, so paint that too...covered the lugs, you don't want a few millimeters of paint on those.
Attachment 51695
Attachment 51696
Ok, HUB done...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMG_5366.jpg
For the discs...the brakes will take care of scraping and burning off any extra paint after, but you don't want all that gunk on there...I used 1.5" painters tape, put on long straight strips to cover the most area...then I put a razor blade on the grooves and spun the disc by hand to cut a perfect circle. Took about 5 minutes per disc and made cleanup a breeze (nonexistent). An ounce of prevention...pound of cure, right?
Once that was dry (and after getting home from the UM game)...I reversed the process...covered up the disc and secluded the caliper. I will make this recommendation when doing this, if you want to do it right and get good coverage and NOT on your pads or have weird paint lines where you should have painted but didn't because you had to tape and overtaped (if you've ever painted calipers back in the day you'll know what I mean). The level of detail and perfection is the line in the sand that separates if something looks oem and classy or like a hack job and why would you do that to that poor tl look from people. SO REMOVE THE BRAKE PADS/SLIDES/PINS. Seriously. Takes an extra few minutes but makes it easier to mask under...I basically just put a piece of newspaper and then slid it under the caliper.
Attachment 51697
Attachment 51698
Already looking pretty good...OK, now, let me say this too...get a bearing on where the decal ends up...once this thing touches the semi wet paint (i installed after 30 minutes after the last coat of the base silver color, after an hour, they say not to do another coat of anything for a week) it will stick and NOT move. I messed up the first time...the pulled the letters off and put on my second one...but you could kind of see the ghosted image of where I messed up and put down the original letters...so scrapped it all and sanded it all back down and redid it. Then I measured where the center was vertically for a bearing, and then eyeballed horizontally...got it right. Only had 4 black decals so once I messed up the first two...ZERO margin for error.
Attachment 51699
Attachment 51700
Then clear it...I did 3 coats of base, 3 of clear.
Rears done...
Attachment 51701

and now the fronts...:)
Attachment 51702
with the tein and spc, it looks like Christmas under my fender!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMG_5378.jpg

and here it is, complete...
Attachment 51703
Attachment 51704
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMG_5389.jpg
Attachment 51705
Attachment 51706
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...s/IMG_5385.jpg
:tongue:

TheChamp531 11-27-2011 11:04 AM

^love those wheels

rockstar143 11-27-2011 11:10 AM

thanks, man...in this day and age, the huge lips and deep concaves are the in thing...but I still love a classic wheel that has the spokes go all the way to the edge. :)

I'm happy with it...love how the calipers make the rim pop. I guess it's reversed for a black wheel, normally you want a dark caliper to not detract from the wheel, but in this case, I feel like it adds some needed contrast.

JayVee 11-27-2011 08:01 PM

Rockstar143...Freekin LOVE IT! Looks spot on and AMAZING! The silver does great for the black on black... Blue would have looked pimp too due to your lugs. But the job looks PERFECT! ...I also have been thinking it over and going very conservative and siding with a metalic silver or shade of metalic charcoal. But I have also considered a TEAL green or blue shade also. A dark color because them being stockers... If I had BIG BOYS BBK, it would have been a done deal and no thread needed...CRAZY COLOR on its way! But they lil O Stockers and just thinking of a nice dark color not bringing to much BLING to em and adding ACURA decal to the front and calling it a day ;)

rockstar143 11-27-2011 08:17 PM

Hmmm...thanks Jay...
So you decided on the color already!??! I was VERY close to doing the same engine bay color I used, it's like a burnt orange engine paint by duplicolor...but I felt like it'd be too loud. It being blue...felt like it would be bordering on being TOO matchy...the headlight ring, the lugs, the valvestem covers...etc...

Thank you for the compliment, friend...I'm VERY happy with it.

JayVee 11-27-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 13387522)
Hmmm...thanks Jay...
So you decided on the color already!??!

...Not really :wish: ... Just a thought today. :what:

cokorote 11-27-2011 09:13 PM

Wow amazing job rockstar. I just hope to see your ride on downtown Miami area.

rockstar143 11-28-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks man...you probably will...my dentist is on Brickell...:) Plus, I grew up in Little Havana and all my friends family live between there, Westchester and little Gables.

If we ever get another meet together, I'm sure we'll all link up.

murph145 11-28-2011 01:12 PM

Very nice sooooo much hawter than before lol! who woulda thunk silver would looks so damn nice behind those black wheels!!!

rockstar143 11-28-2011 01:29 PM

RIGHT?!?! Thanks Murph...I think it must be the reverse contrast i was looking for...usuallly you want a dark caliper to not detract from the wheel...but with a black wheel the silver makes the rim kinda pop and stand out. I really love it...thanks for the inspiration.

murph145 11-28-2011 03:04 PM

yea man you did em right! not too flashy but makes them stand out and just makes the car that much cleaner looking

JayVee 11-28-2011 04:02 PM

^ true story...lol! ;)

rockstar143 11-28-2011 06:10 PM

I wish I had a webcam, you'd see me blushing... ;)

jwr0ng626 11-28-2011 06:53 PM

that silver is fkin sex behind ur wheels!

nicely done man :thumbsup:

rockstar143 11-28-2011 08:18 PM

i like sex behind my wheels...it's the look I was going for! :)

tpoony 01-11-2012 04:32 PM

Hi rockstar143, I assume that you actually have the TL stock non-type S caliper. I am trying to buy stickers on line (Acura), do you happen to have the dimension for the stickers needed? And would the sizes be the same between front and back calipers?

rockstar143 01-11-2012 05:58 PM

I do...
the sticker was 3.5" for the front and 2.5" for the rear.

I have Brembo's otherwise I wouldn't have put the sticker on there...maybe Acura but not Brembo. My rears don't have stickers for that reason. :)

Ebay person I bought from was
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brembo-Brake...#ht_500wt_1156

JayVee 01-11-2012 06:16 PM

^ I did the same thing on another vehicle (ebay decals) ... It looked AMAZING! I painted all 4 cali. GOLD with the G2 kit and applied HONDA on the front cali. of a Honda Civic EG with ITR brake conv... Sorta like a OEM BBK! Turned out Schweeeeet!

Hey! ...GOLD would look pretty bad ass on my current set up with my TL and stand out thru all the dark theme I have now... :/ Hmmmmmm...

rockstar143 01-12-2012 02:05 PM

Make sure you love it before you do it...:)

swoosh 01-12-2012 03:05 PM

^^^ :nod:

Murph and Rockstar's silver makes you think twice about any other color....

JayVee 01-12-2012 04:30 PM

MURPH is not SILVER... Its a custom mixed color. But I know what you are saying anyways ;)

rockstar143 01-12-2012 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:) Thanks fellas, I'z blushing.
Nothing fancy, just a bigger pic from the avatar pic that shows the silver behind aspecs in case anyone was wondering. I love the silver, I don't regret it one bit.

Attachment 51526

JayVee 01-12-2012 07:02 PM

DAM IT RS143! Stop jackin my thread with all that luciousness! LMAO! I can't wait to get c/o's so I can sit my down on top of the tires like that... Car looks amazing RS143!

swoosh 01-12-2012 07:09 PM

^^^ i know right....

PS: remind me never to park next to his car LOL....

Steven Bell 01-12-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JayVee (Post 13381408)
RED is always spot on and can NEVER go wrong! Especially on BLACK! But at the same time...Its common....Common for that reason already stated ;)

BTW, what do u mean trimmed around nose and grill? With the red? :whyme: maybe not. I want to keep the MURDERED classey look going on the body as much as possible and just letting the color pop by themselves behind my wheels. Mr Bell, where is your pics sir!?

did u notice I used the QUOTE WITH COMMENT button...lmao! :tomato::thumbsup::toocool::tongue:

Jay, sorry I'm just seeing your question. Check out "My Garage" by clicking on the name of my car at the top of my signature-it's linked. Pictures are in My Garage.

And yes, nice job on using the "Quote with Comment button"!

rockstar143 01-12-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks fellas, and sorry, I'd delete the picture but swoosh would cut me. He says once I post a pic it better stay. ;)

Anyway, I'm definitely open to seeing these new creative colors y'all keep pretending like you're going to paint your calipers...get it!

swoosh 01-12-2012 09:21 PM

^^^ my browser got casssssshhhhh (cache)

so i can still see the pic LOL.... yipppiieeeee

rockstar143 01-12-2012 09:39 PM

I know it...like CACHE MONEY MILLIONAIRES...

;)

and ps...I said I WOULDN'T delete it! Plus, cache means hidden in French...yeah, I speak it. I'm a world class dork.