ouch...had a little tire problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
The stickiest of the icky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ouch...had a little tire problem

well today on my way to school i noticed that when i took my hand off the wheel it would automatically turn sharply to the right, which is something that my tl does normally but it is not sharply, it usually will turn itself about 10 degrees or so in a secon,d today it was going abotu 45 degrees in a second. this was odd, but i kept going as usual, noticing strange things along the way. above about 50mph, the car was rattling like a madman, and whenever i hit even the little lane reflectors i would get a loud thud. i wasnt sure if i was just imagining it or not, so when i was about 2 minutes from school i said to my brother "hey, do you notice a difference" and i stepped on teh gas a little bit, and got up t about 55, when all of a sudden BRRRRRRRRRRRRR....a fuckin loud sound came from the front right of the car. i was like...shit, i knew there was something wrong...and when i got out i had no tire left on the front passenger side. it was just bare wheel on the asphalt, with a torn up ring of rubber detached and halfway off the wheel. i called my parents and i changed the tire, and my mom had the car towed to the dealer. by the way, i am not on the EL42s. i have yokos, i dont know what model they are, but we paid extra for them to have the dealer put them on. i have looked at them before and know that they are Z rated, so i dont think speeding had anything to do with this little issue.

do you think this should be covered by warranty, or insurance? the dealership said that it would not be covered by warranty, and my parents are just bitching at me saying that it is my fault and that insurance will probably not cover it. i have hit a few curbs and there is some underbody damage to the body kit, mostly because it is low enough to hit some parking curbs. all 4 rims have a few scratches from times i have scraped curbs, but i cant imagine any of them being bad enough to cause this. when i went to school today and told my friend about it, he said that his car used to turn to the side when he let go of the wheel, and that he changed the air pressure in his tires and it got fixed. when i first got the car it was doing that, so i figured that hte dealership had not made some sort of obvious error in messing up the air pressure and that it was just a characteristic of the car, and it was not a glaring issue. now i think maybe the dealership just messed up with the tire pressure, because i cant imagine why a tire would just pop like that after 5 months of use with no accidents or anything. sorry for such a long post, what do you guys think???
Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Shift_faster

Usually when a car does not track straight and true there is an alignment problem.

About the tire, I am almost certain it is not a tire pressure issue, but rather than you got a flat from either a nail, some other sharp road surface, and when you kept driving, the tire lost its integrity completely. Again, I'm just guessing as I have not seen the tire, but from my experience this seems to be the problem.

Your dealer is correct, it is not a warranty problem unless you can prove that the tire was defective.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Instructor

1. Spell check.
2. Complete sentences.
3. Punctuation.

That being said, why in the world did you keep driving once you felt the car pull 45 degress to the right and start rattling like crazy? If the tire had just blown and you pulled over, you almost certainly would not have damaged the rim, as there would still be rubber sitting on the metal to protect it. I had a blowout a couple of months ago on the freeway while going 60 miles per hour and there was no damage whatsoever after I pulled over right away and changed the tire.

In terms of warranty, I think you are going to have a very difficult time proving that this resulted from a defect in the tire. This would certainly not be covered under your Acura warranty; you would have to go after the tire manufacturer. You might have a claim against the tire installer if you could show that he improperly installed the tire or overinflated it, but given the fact that the tire is now in shreds, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to prove this. Maybe check the pressure in your other three tires to see if they are over or under inflated?

You could submit a claim for this damage to your insurance company under your comprehensive coverage, but you're going to have to eat the deductible and likely see a rate increase.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwcolt
1. Spell check.
2. Complete sentences.
3. Punctuation.

I hope he went to school after all.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:50 PM
professional TL driver

i just want to know who would buy there kid an 04 TL? not to bad mouth or anything, but thats a pretty big chunk of change to drop on a young driver, especially one who seems "accident prone"
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Racer

i dont understand why you didnt pull over when you thought something
was wrong. your lucky that you did not loose control and crash when you acceled to 55. the only way the tire would be covered is if you bought some sort of tire and wheel road hazard warranty.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM
The stickiest of the icky

Originally Posted by ONAGER
i just want to know who would buy there kid an 04 TL? not to bad mouth or anything, but thats a pretty big chunk of change to drop on a young driver, especially one who seems "accident prone"
just want to know how this is relative to my post? and for your information, i have not gotten into any accidents in my short driving career, and have taken the Skip Barber driving safety course, so i think you can take back that accident prone comment dickface.

Originally Posted by nick04tl
i dont understand why you didnt pull over when you thought something
was wrong. your lucky that you did not loose control and crash when you acceled to 55. the only way the tire would be covered is if you bought some sort of tire and wheel road hazard warranty.
i didnt pull over because the car normally pulls a bit to the right, and it was early, i thought maybe i was just imagining things. there are always small rattles and a small pull, so i figured that maybe it was all just normal and i was overreacting.

Originally Posted by dwcolt
1. Spell check.
2. Complete sentences.
3. Punctuation.

That being said, why in the world did you keep driving once you felt the car pull 45 degress to the right and start rattling like crazy? If the tire had just blown and you pulled over, you almost certainly would not have damaged the rim, as there would still be rubber sitting on the metal to protect it. I had a blowout a couple of months ago on the freeway while going 60 miles per hour and there was no damage whatsoever after I pulled over right away and changed the tire.
obviously my spelling errors werent enough to keep you from understanding my post. im sorry i prefer to type quickly rather than use perfect punctuation. also, there wasnt major damage done to the rim, just a few minor bumps. i also dont hink i had a flat beforehand, because i drove the car the night before and it was fine, i didnt notice anything odd, but right when i got in the car the next morning it felt really strange and started shaking. i didnt notice the tire being flat or anything this morning either, everything appeared to be normal. it may have been something with alignment, i guess i will just have to wait and see what the dealership says.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 PM
aw1
Pro

dealer

glad you and your brother didnt get into a accident. next time, you feel something strange, just pull over. dont take any chances. as for the dealer, good luck!!! i highly doubt you will be able to talk them into covering the damages the flat tire caused. maybe you could talk them into meeting you halfway or something... well, good luck..
Old 09-27-2004, 08:06 PM
TL User

Ah to be 16 again..
I remember my first blowout. It wasn't anything as bad as you described, but I bet I drove a good half a mile on the flat tire before I realized what happened. I was thinking, why is my wheel shaking, why do I feel every little bump on the road, and why do I have to hold the wheel at 30 degree angle to keep going straight.
Once I did figure out it was probably a flat, I pulled over, changed to a spare and went drove happily home at 50mph, thinking what a "fun" experience that was. Next day when I figured out how much a new tire would cost my mood quickly changed, but that's the meaning of life: you live and learn.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my TL for my 18 birthday/graduation from HS/present for getting into NYU. Since 16, I drove my parents' aviators with them in the passenger seat. Driving mostly with my father, he coached me well and taught me how to react to each situation possible. There is no better instructor than your own father. You learn a lot from him.

Obviously you and your brother are both inexperienced idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to ride bicycles. No reason to call ONAGER a "dickface" simply because he is telling you the truth. A person with such little experience, as you claim you have, is more likely to get into an accident than someone with years of experience. You clearly are not experience enough to notice that you have a flat tire, a tire so flat that it rips off and you begin riding on your wheel. So please do us all a favor: Look up at the ceiling, get a big wad of spit in your mouth, then spit straight up, so the spit will fall back down on your face. Do us all that favor so we won't have to come down to your house and spit in your face.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
I got my TL for my 18 birthday/graduation from HS/present for getting into NYU. Since 16, I drove my parents' aviators with them in the passenger seat. Driving mostly with my father, he coached me well and taught me how to react to each situation possible. There is no better instructor than your own father. You learn a lot from him.

Obviously you and your brother are both inexperienced idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to ride bicycles. No reason to call ONAGER a "dickface" simply because he is telling you the truth. A person with such little experience, as you claim you have, is more likely to get into an accident than someone with years of experience. You clearly are not experience enough to notice that you have a flat tire, a tire so flat that it rips off and you begin riding on your wheel. So please do us all a favor: Look up at the ceiling, get a big wad of spit in your mouth, then spit straight up, so the spit will fall back down on your face. Do us all that favor so we won't have to come down to your house and spit in your face.
Wow, that's a bit harsh. Let's keep it on the friendly side, we all make mistakes.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock

thats pretty funny. not very nice but funny.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Racer

my goodness man...no offense but if you don't know how to park correctly and you scratch up your rims and already have underbody damage because you mess up while parking you shouldn't have the tl as your first car. i do everything possible to avoid damage to my TL. yesterday i went to my friend's house and their road is very narrow so i decided to park my car at a church a 1/2 mile away; love your car. this is clearly your fault. that being said, i'm glad your not hurt. i got in a car accident due to another motorist's careless actions am still dealing with the repercussions of the accident, i.e. a broken back. man...i wish you realized how lucky you are man...not assuming that you don't, but it seems like it. i even drive in a different way to avoid damaging my car...i freaked out when i saw my first chip and scratch....damn...

also, if you don't know that a pull to a certain direction isn't a wheel alignment issue, your dad has A LOT to teach you.

edit: take note that you drive a car that some people can't even afford at the age of 50.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:21 PM
professional TL driver

[QUOTE=go4heat]just want to know how this is relative to my post? and for your information, i have not gotten into any accidents in my short driving career, and have taken the Skip Barber driving safety course, so i think you can take back that accident prone comment dickface.

nice comments.... your becoming an adult act like one
. and by the info written in your first post my stmt is still accurate, you stated your rims (not one, but all 4 of them) all had curb rash. all though this is minor its considered an accident, damage was done, as well as damage to the front air dam. and the the incident with the tire blowing out. no car should pull sharply to the right (over 45 degrees) and have a rattle like a madman.

im not much older then you im 22 about to turn 23, i have been in 1 serious accident, it happened 6 mo ago. it was my fault, i feel asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone pole on the hwy doing 65 miles an hour, the car was totaled. i took responsibility for what i did. to the tune of 32,000 dollars in damage (my car, the powere pole and me). i fell asleep as i was dog tired, my father died on dec 11th and i had problems sleeping. the tl which i bought in may im paying for. i work hard for my money, and im actually unemployed since my company laid off over 1500 employees (capital one in tampa). needless to say i know loss and responsibility is. by your lack of concern (towards your car) you dont!

in relation to your post, no, it not an acura issue, you might get the tire manufacturer to pay but you will have to fight them tooth and nail to do so. more then likely you will have to pay for a new tire (and maybe a rim) yourself. contact your insurance company as well, they might cover it at least you can ask
Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 AM