NOOB: advice and diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOB: advice and diagnosis

'04 TL, navi, 82k miles currently.
I bought this car Certified Pre-Owned with 35k miles. I've only replaced tires, brakes and windshield wiper blades. I've done all scheduled maintenance.

Question: at the age of this car, what parts/systems will need replacing? Do I need to start thinking about new suspension? Rims? Is there anything I should be looking out for in the coming year?

Symptoms of some problems lately: steering wheel wobbles while braking. 2) after going over speed bumps, there is a wobbly feeling in the steering column. Like the front wheels are trembling.

I would really appreciate any help.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just go off your MID and look up the codes in your car's manual book. If you don't have it, just post the codes and someone will tell you what it's suggesting. The biggest maintenance schedule is at 100K. Replace water pump and timing belt.

Automatic or manual transmission?
I would recommend doing a transmission drain and fill 3 times if automatic trans.

1)While braking and steering wheel woobles, it is usually an indication of warped rotors.
2)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I have an AT. The MID calls for B2 service. I'll have that done. But, is this about the right time for the car to need the shocks and struts to be replaced?
I'm trying to get ahead of preventive maintenance.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by GM1001
But, is this about the right time for the car to need the shocks and struts to be replaced?
For OEM, not really unless your shocks have developed a leak, are defective or damaged-- use the bounce test for that.

First, check your tire air pressure.
Second, have the alignment checked/car aligned.
If that doesn't resolve your problem with steering wheel shake under braking and wobbly feeling over speed bumps, look at the brake disks/rotors to see if they are warped.
A CPO car shouldn't have come with warped disks; who replaced the brakes-- was that pads-only, or did that include machining or replacing the disks/rotors?

Welcome to AZ.