No Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Dunlop Winter Sport M3

After deciding to buy a New 05 TL (Trading in my 03TLs) I decided to put Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on it for the rest of the winter then when spring comes put HPT's on it. I can't find any M3's. With the tough winter in the midwest they seem to be sold out. I tried "Tire Rack", "Discount Tire" and "1010tires" , but there are none. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Racer

I bought my M3s in October from TireRack, but I've heard that lots of places are sold out of them. I doubt you'll see any more this season, so I'd look at other tires, including the Nokian RSi, which is a great winter tire.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Would not buy Dunlops PERIOD. Bought a lot in the past because they worked well and were a good price. BUT they always seemed to wear out fast. Last set which should have lasted 40 K lasted under 20 K. If I drove them really aggressively they would have lasted 10 K. If you look at Tirerack you will see it is a common complaint. After buy truckloads of different tires from different manufactures I can say that Dunlops treadwear is totally bogus so bear that in mind. X Dunlop customer for life!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

I was in touch yesterday with a tire store in the DC area to ask about M3s. I was told that they are sold out throughout North America.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
Would not buy Dunlops PERIOD. Bought a lot in the past because they worked well and were a good price. BUT they always seemed to wear out fast. Last set which should have lasted 40 K lasted under 20 K. If I drove them really aggressively they would have lasted 10 K. If you look at Tirerack you will see it is a common complaint. After buy truckloads of different tires from different manufactures I can say that Dunlops treadwear is totally bogus so bear that in mind. X Dunlop customer for life!
Well, I've got about 8k on my M3s (rotated them at 6k) and haven't found any noticeable wear. Snow traction has been excellent, and dry pavement performance has also been quite good for a snow. Overall, I am quite pleased and would buy these again.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Racer

I got my M3's in early November, but some on-line retailers were totally out of stock on 235/45/17 winter tires by then (I got lucky). Your best bet would be to contact Dunlop and find retailers in your area. Dunlop's website has this feature, including price quotes. Local retailers may still have your size, due to regional demand.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1TonCub
After deciding to buy a New 05 TL (Trading in my 03TLs) I decided to put Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on it for the rest of the winter then when spring comes put HPT's on it. I can't find any M3's. With the tough winter in the midwest they seem to be sold out. I tried "Tire Rack", "Discount Tire" and "1010tires" , but there are none. Anybody have any ideas?
Pm Me and i'll tell you where you can get them. All of America is sold out but I know a good place in europe that ships to the U.S for no more expense than it would be to ship from any U.S state to you. Plus the tires are at a very good price just like all the other places and they are # 1 retailer in europe
Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the comments

To all that responeded I thank you. I was going to go with Blizzak WS-50's which are still available. I then read alot of negative comments about the dry road performance of these tires. I realize there is not a better studless ice/snow tire out there, but I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (aka "the UP"), where 10 inch snow storms happen 7 or 8 times a season. With in hours plowing (salting/sanding) begins, and the roads start to become bare and dry, even after a 10 inch snow (or greater). The only exception is when temps get down well below 0 degees F. For the most part it can go days or weeks where there will be nothing but bare and dry roads even though we may have three or four foot snow banks. That's why I decided to go with the Dunlop M3's. Most of the comments on Tire Rack's web site were positive on the M3's especially when it came to dry road performance combined with snow covered road performance. From what I read the only down side was the traction the MP3's provided on hard packed snow/ice. I could live with that knowing I would be able to keep the Dunlop M3's on from October thru March with a lot less wear then the Blizzak WS-50's. Any body else have any experience. (I have read the other thread's on the Blizzak's)
Old 01-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

hey 1ton. you have PM!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

1ton re- Dunlop M3's, I have driven these tires in all conditions now. My TL handles all most as well as it does with summer tires on dry pavement (Dunlops are a little noisier). My last vehicle was a 4x4 and I feel these tires inspire just as much confidence on snow and ice as my 4x4 Toyota did with all seasons.
They grab on ice hard snow and slush.
Never a problem pulling away!

mine were ordered by my Acura dealer

birdzboy
Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

I ordered M3 215/55 16 plus wheels from the Tire Rack in Dec. After the pounding we had in Philly this weekend and the snow outside now in Boston, I have to say I am impressed with these tires. They ride a little harder than my Falkens, but are fine for winter. If you can find some, I think you will be pleased.