New TL drifts left...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New TL drifts left...

Picked up my first Acura TL 05 (5A) Monday, I took it in Thursday 'cuz' it
want to slowly drift to the left (especially on the interstates...).

The dealer swapped the left and right front tires and checked the pressures...
When I asked about the problem they mumbled that the problem was
probably "radial drag" or something similiar.

I took a trip today to see the grandkids, and the problem is still there.

I have also noticed that brisk acceleration from a stop light gives a more
pronounced left pull.

Anything I can ask the shop to check to help solve the problem?

Anyone else have a similiar problem?

(I have Bridgestone Touranzas...)

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your first solution is to get rid of those POS tires.

Your second solution is to get an alignment if by some chance solution # 1 does not correct the situation which it should

Your third solution is not to look for problems after you are done with solution # 1 or 2
Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Is this a problem that should be addressed by the Acura dealer or should I go straight
to a Bridgestone dealer?

In general will Acura be responsive to such a complaint?

Jerry
Old 02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

HI Jerry,

I would bypass the dealer all together unless you want to fight wit them to swap out your Bullshitstone turanzas for either michilin Mx or LSV. I would go to a bridgestone dealer and ask if you can upgrade the tires to the lsv which the will do for you with minimal effort and charge you a minimal amount of money as well. The michilin tires that the new 05 navi only cars come with are only marginally better than the turanzas and if it was my car I would still swap those out for much better tires than the oem ones, like the LSV. That should correct your problem if it is " radial pull" due to the quality of the tires themselves. I would take it 1 step at a time. Our Tl's are known for having alignment specs somewhat OFF at the factory which may also be part of your problem but the tires themselves are a MAJOR problem on this car and I would ditch those NOW. After you do so, see if the problem is still there, if it is, go to an independent shop, spend $65 for a 4 wheel alignment and don't waste your time at the dealer who will give you more grief and agony than it's worth. Problems fixed
Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Instructor

UPDATE: New TL drifts left...

I took my TL back to the dealer today, the rascal was still drifting
leftwards and even moderate acceleration was causing a strong
left pull.

After a couple of hours I returned and found out that the tech could
not find anything wrong and asserted that the TL was not drifting left.

After a short rant, they gave me another TL to drive and compare.
It did not have left drift...I came back and told the manager that
my TL pulled much worse.

The manager then test drove both cars and asserted he could not
spot any difference. He offered to let me drive my TL with him to
demonstrate the problem.

Well, ok, I thought, I will demo the problem...

Regretably(?) I came away with egg on my face the drifting and even the
pulling left under acceleration had vanished!

Driving home on the interstate was a much more pleasurable experience!

I guess I must have had a "ghost in the machine".

Can anyone offer an explaination for such bizarre behavior?
( I have the BS EL42 TU2 model tires )

Jerry
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah my fricken car does the same thing
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Jerry, when you feel the "drift", do you drive alone? The additional passenger aboard may affect this "balance" if this issue is really as simple as "the balance"...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
Jerry, when you feel the "drift", do you drive alone? The additional passenger aboard may affect this "balance" if this issue is really as simple as "the balance"...
Well, the left drift has all but vanished, I cannot figure out why it went from being
naughty to nice.

I hope it does not come back .

I did have an exciting moment the other day, I was "dozing" at a traffic light
when I suddenly noticed that the car in front of me had already cleared the
intersection. I give the accelerator an "Explorer" sized jab and was greeted
by a howl of the front tires and the TL leapt to the right a foot or two. Fortunately
there was no car in the next lane...

I don't know if I had the steering wheel cocked to the right or if this was an
example of "torque streer".

Jerry
Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm Baaack!

Left under hard acceleration = torque steer. If you have VSA on it help but only minimally .. you'll get used to it.

I also experienced the drifting problem, I swerved rather severely to avoid a big whompin pot hole and the car didn't fully recover. The rest of the ride home and a bit of the next day the car would pull ... I tried swerving back and forth and tried "bedding" the brakes but neither worked. It self corrected after a day and a half and has not reared it's ugly head again. It was odd, but it left like 4 months ago and without it reoccuring it would be tough to diagnose. At this point I'm just waiting to see if it comes back but after all this time I kinda doubt it.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Jerry,

A couple of thoughts: First, while I respect the various opinions that the Bridgestone tires aren't great, tires would normally never cause a drifting problem unless one or more of them was badly underinflated or badly worn. Thus, I don't recommend rushing out and buying a new set as a cure to your problem.

Second, drifting is usually an alignment problem. If the dealer has checked the alignment, and the problem persists, try another dealer or an independent alignment shop with a good reputation. FWIW, a little toe-out in your left-front tire could cause both drifting to the left and exaggerated torque steer to the left.

Third, 270 HP + FWD is a guaranteed cause of torque steer and wheelspin when accelerating hard from a dead stop. Make sure your VSC is turned on. (This issue is a likely reason that Acura includes traction control and VSC as standard equipment!) If your VSC is off, you'll see a little orange triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it on the left side of your dash display.

Fourth, why would the problem suddenly go away when you took your car back to the dealer? Only one reason I can think of: They found a badly underinflated left front tire. A competent/honest dealer would have found this the first time or, failing that, been forthright about it when they did find it.

A couple of possible lessons (which you may already have applied, in which case feel free to ignore!): 1. Check your tire pressures yourself, with a high-quality gauge, weekly and before every long trip. 2. Be familiar with the dash indicator lights. 3. Keep a running count of "strikes" with your dealer--he's got at least one against him, so far.

Best of luck, and please let us know if the problem comes back or stays fixed.

Rick
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have the same problem with my TL. I have 18" rims and are using Bridgestone Potenza RE750 tires. These are summer tires and are properly inflated. I check the tire pressure every few weeks and have never found them to be beyond 1 or 2 PSI below recommended tire pressures (39 f/ 36 r).

My car drifts right when I let go of the steering wheel. I've had it aligned at 3 different stores (body shop and two dealerships) and it's dead on. I've had two tires replaced. Still does it. I finally chalked it to radial tire pull and don't think too much about it anymore. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know!