new tires have gotten really loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
new tires have gotten really loud

i have kuhmo asx 245/40/18 tires on aftermarket 8.5" wheels. the first 1000 miles were very quiet. im at 2500 miles now and the tires are very loud inside the car once i get to about 40mph and get louder the faster i go. its like a drone type of noise. anyone know why this would happen so soon? they sound like my old tires did with 35k miles on them
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your tire treads and see what kind of wear you have on them.

did you get a alignment when you did your tire?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
turn up the stereo volume

just kidding
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
18psi

i did NOT get an alignment when i put the new wheels and tires on. last alignment was at 70k miles. im at 98k miles now. im going to bring it to the dealer and see what they say.

the guys at firestone said it might be a bad bearing. but the drone does not go away when i make turns so i have no clue

i have the acura extended warranty and bearings are covered if thats what it is. anyone think it could be the bearings? any way to isolate which wheel its coming from? when im driving, it doesnt sound louder on one side or the other
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 PM
18psi

is the dealer gonna blame my new wheels and tires for the noise? should i put the stock wheels on before going there?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alignment woulda helped.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar kind of noise when I had new tires put on the stock wheels, turns out the tires were cupping on the inside, especially in the rear. Had the alignment checked, all was good with it. Was told is was the tire I was using. This was on an 04 TL. Some tires may be more prone to cupping based on the tread design i.e. larger block tread on the outsides of the tire.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by flynhonda
I had a similar kind of noise when I had new tires put on the stock wheels, turns out the tires were cupping on the inside, especially in the rear. Had the alignment checked, all was good with it. Was told is was the tire I was using. This was on an 04 TL. Some tires may be more prone to cupping based on the tread design i.e. larger block tread on the outsides of the tire.
the dealer replaced the right front wheel bearing and the noise is still there. they swapped the right rear tire with the front right tire and the noise is still there. its going back to the dealer in like a week and they said they would check the rear right bearing.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
the dealer replaced the right front wheel bearing and the noise is still there. they swapped the right rear tire with the front right tire and the noise is still there. its going back to the dealer in like a week and they said they would check the rear right bearing.

Some tires just get louder with miles. In fact, most do. I've learned the hard way, this is why I check reviews of people who have run a certain tire through it's entire life.

I bought my BFG KDW-2s without looking at reviews. By 5,000 miles it was nearly impossible to carry on a conversation inside the car at speeds above 20mph. I then read reviews and 9 out of 10 people complained about noise with those tires. Then I got the Sports and the reviews looked good but looking back they were all from people that had run them a few miles. Mine are very noisy now and looking at reviews from people that have run them the distance, this is the number one complaint right next to the rubber prematurely cracking which mine are also doing.

A bad alignment with feathering will speed up the process.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
...unless the peeps at the dealership are tuners, they prob would not notice anything subtle wrong with the tires or wheels... Did they do a 4 wheel alignment and balance after they replaced the bearing? I had a stick-on wheel weight come off once that drove me crazy till I got it replaced...

Michelin and continentals are the quietest tires I have had on my car.... Cooper, BFG, GY have all been noisy over time with the coopers being the worst!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
...unless the peeps at the dealership are tuners, they prob would not notice anything subtle wrong with the tires or wheels... Did they do a 4 wheel alignment and balance after they replaced the bearing? I had a stick-on wheel weight come off once that drove me crazy till I got it replaced...

Michelin and continentals are the quietest tires I have had on my car.... Cooper, BFG, GY have all been noisy over time with the coopers being the worst!
firestone did an alignment 2 days before i had the bearing replaced by the dealer. i made a thread here posting the specs from firestone. firestone said the tread pattern was wearing evenly. im going back to the dealer to have them check the rear bearing in a week. if that doesnt help then im going to rotate the left and right side tires to see if the noise transfers to the left side of the car when turning. if the noise changes sides then i know its the tires and ill deal with kumho directly to see if they can replace the tire.

if none of that helps, ill rebalance the wheels. any other suggestions?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Some tires just get louder with miles. In fact, most do. I've learned the hard way, this is why I check reviews of people who have run a certain tire through it's entire life.

I bought my BFG KDW-2s without looking at reviews. By 5,000 miles it was nearly impossible to carry on a conversation inside the car at speeds above 20mph. I then read reviews and 9 out of 10 people complained about noise with those tires. Then I got the Sports and the reviews looked good but looking back they were all from people that had run them a few miles. Mine are very noisy now and looking at reviews from people that have run them the distance, this is the number one complaint right next to the rubber prematurely cracking which mine are also doing.

A bad alignment with feathering will speed up the process.
i understand that but do you think they could get really loud only after 2k miles? even the shitty cooper tires i had before these only got noticably louder after 15k miles
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

i understand that but do you think they could get really loud only after 2k miles? even the shitty cooper tires i had before these only got noticably louder after 15k miles
Definately. If the alignment is off they can get loud in 100 miles.

It took only 1,500 to notice a pretty big difference in my KDWs.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
18psi

Definately. If the alignment is off they can get loud in 100 miles.

It took only 1,500 to notice a pretty big difference in my KDWs.
so if my alignment was off when i put the new tires on and they started to wear improperly, then i had an alignment done 2k miles later, its possible the tires are ruined? the guys at firestone said the wear pattern looked fine. ofcourse they could be wrong but they didnt try and sell me new tires so who knows
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

so if my alignment was off when i put the new tires on and they started to wear improperly, then i had an alignment done 2k miles later, its possible the tires are ruined? the guys at firestone said the wear pattern looked fine. ofcourse they could be wrong but they didnt try and sell me new tires so who knows
I must've missed that part. If they weren't loud at the time of alignment, the previous miles with a bad alignment would not make them loud in the future.

2,500 is still enough even with a good alignment for the tires to be loud. It's pushing the limits but it's possible.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I know that some tires will change inside due to bad alignment, poor construction / quality, etc before they show a poor wear pattern... at least thats what happened with my Dads old jeep on BFG's... you could hear it, but not see it... it was especially bad until the tires warmed up some... he never could get them to wear correctly after they got jacked up... hope this helps some...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 AM
18psi

I must've missed that part. If they weren't loud at the time of alignment, the previous miles with a bad alignment would not make them loud in the future.

2,500 is still enough even with a good alignment for the tires to be loud. It's pushing the limits but it's possible.
maybe i miss typed that. they WERE loud at the time of the alignment