New Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by blownby
I am in NW Ohio and in need of tires this fall.
Based on reviews and the size I need it looks like these are my options I have to narrow down to....(235/35R19)
Continental DWS06,
Goodyear Eagle F1
Bridestone RE970AS
General GMAx AS03

tread life
wet/snow grip
noise
dry traction handling least concern as they will all do fine for my daily comuting, as the car not at the track!
Unless the size is the issue here, I would not be looking at UHP tires for Ohio for a daily commuter. Look for Grand Touring tires if they are available in that size. They generally will better meet the requirements you have laid out.

Originally Posted by VisualEchos
......3. There is a such thing as a weather forecast, and if you have a telephone that supports apps, you can even get this info on your phone!! This will allow you to swap your wheel/tire combo, taking all of a half-hour, and providing you with the performance you need on those sub-zero mornings.

So are you lazy, or broke? Sounds like both.

All-season tires suck, and very few people actually live in a climate that can benefit from them.
You can't be serious? I would be swapping tires several times per month for 5 months here. Just not worth it. I had dedicated summer and winter tires on a previous car. The dedicated winter tires were for sure scary if there was no ice/snow on the ground. Now granted, they were f'ing awesome the 5 days that we had snow/ice covered roads, but they were just horrible the rest of the 3-5 months of winter. I ended up getting rid of them after 1 season and made my winter tires a set of regular all-seasons.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I'm surprised you wouldn't agree that an all season tire is an excellent compromise for those who don't want to swap tire sets out during the seasons, or who deal with adverse conditions on occasion rather than regularly.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Unless the size is the issue here, I would not be looking at UHP tires for Ohio for a daily commuter. Look for Grand Touring tires if they are available in that size. They generally will better meet the requirements you have laid out.
Yeah this size really limits the tire to "ultra high performance all seasons" atleast on tire racks site.

I wiggled a little wider or narrower and the same.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I'm surprised you wouldn't agree that an all season tire is an excellent compromise...
No such thing.

I wouldn't "race" with the TL either-- but I would drive the TL on a track as well as in autocross to learn about its capabilities and limits with street tires.
Not sure why anyone would do that, but whatever floats your boat .

BTW, if you're driving on a public road in a manner where the performance between a Michelin PSS and a PS A/S3 makes a difference, you need to either stop driving like a dick or give up your license.
The difference can easily be felt, and I said nothing about the limit. By your logic, a Ferrari driven at 35mph is the same as a Prius driven at 35mph, and to feel the difference, you must be at the limit. Hmmm...

OK, so the summer tires you recommend were mentioned by others, and you're here to vent about all-season tires that OP wants...
I didn't read their posts, and I didn't come here to vent. I know quite a lot about tires, which is obviously where you and I part ways. No harm, no foul.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
I didn't read their posts, and I didn't come here to vent. I know quite a lot about tires, which is obviously where you and I part ways. No harm, no foul.
Well, your posts contributed nothing helpful to OP or anyone else seeking advice on all-season tires, although it does give some insight into your opinions.

I definitely do not have your knowledge about tires, and hope never to be as certain about tires.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Well, your posts contributed nothing helpful to OP or anyone else seeking advice on all-season tires, although it does give some insight into your opinions.

I definitely do not have your knowledge about tires, and hope never to be as certain about tires.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 195 Likes on 177 Posts
I am currently running Toyo T1 Sport. Great looking tire/sidewall/tread and amazing performance. I have yet to chirp the tires as much as my previous set of Goodyear Eagle F1s. The Eagle F1s were super slippery in the rain and wore down FAST.
The Toyo T1 Sport is one of the best tires I've driven on.