New Shoes for my TL (Pilot Sport A/S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shoes for my TL (Pilot Sport A/S)

I finally replaced my 17" Turanza's after about 12,500 miles with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss (same size). Here's my 100 mile review after driving some twisty roads today:

The good:
- no more flat spots, no more shakes, no more rattles (I wonder how many rattles were caused by Turanza ELs)
- much more stable handling in curves & twisty roads, they just feel more secure
- very aggressive looking tread pattern
- the ride feels a bit firmer but not too firm

The bad:
- They look much bigger than the ELs. The tread wraps onto the side-wall so they look to be a lot less "low profile" than the ELs. This will have to grow on me.
- They seem to be a bit nosier
- Costco put bright green valve caps on for some odd reason, so I had to go to the auto parts store and spend $2.00 for a new set of chrome caps

Overall I paid $894 including all fees & taxes, road-hazzard insurance and lifetime free balancing/rotation. It took a little under two weeks to get them via Costco.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ibeplato
The bad:
- They look much bigger than the ELs. The tread wraps onto the side-wall so they look to be a lot less "low profile" than the ELs. This will have to grow on me.
- Costco put bright green valve caps on for some odd reason, so I had to go to the auto parts store and spend $2.00 for a new set of chrome caps
I tend to think the tread showing is a more agressive look which I like. GREEN CAPS?? I wonder if that is their way of putting their "label" on them. Congrats on the new shoes. I'm loving mine! (Proxes4)
Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Racer

They are a bit noiser, but it's worth it if it means getting rid of the flatspotting and lousy wet and snow traction. I happen to like the aggressive look. The TL is not meant to be a low profile car so why should it have low profile tires. One thing I did notice is that my tires feel like they slip. I have no idea if it's because of the torque steer or just the tires.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced

I had the A-Spec suspension and Comptech RSB installed and added Black Chrome A-Spec wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/40 18. The TL has been transformed. It handles very well, perhaps not as well as with Koni Yellow's and Eibach Springs at say 9-10 tenths on a track or deserted road, but very well none the less and without a super stiff ride or that annoying urthethane bushing squeal. The fender gap is perfect and the increase in tire width, 245 vs 235, gives me a little wiggle room when it comes to curbs. Overall, it's an excellent package and I recommend it without hesitation.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Anthracite,Carmel,6MT

Buying The Pilot A/s But In Vegas

Should I buy the Pilot A/S 245/35/19 or Pilot Sport.
Remember I live in Las Vegas where it can reach 110 in the summer and only 55 in the wintertime.

My Falkins 451 only made it to 18K.

Are the Pilot A/S any better.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:53 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by ibeplato
I finally replaced my 17" Turanza's after about 12,500 miles with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss (same size). Here's my 100 mile review after driving some twisty roads today:

The good:
- no more flat spots, no more shakes, no more rattles (I wonder how many rattles were caused by Turanza ELs)
- much more stable handling in curves & twisty roads, they just feel more secure
- very aggressive looking tread pattern
- the ride feels a bit firmer but not too firm

The bad:

Overall I paid $894 including all fees & taxes, road-hazzard insurance and lifetime free balancing/rotation. It took a little under two weeks to get them via Costco.
Green Caps are the sh*t. Well, actually, Costco started a new program where they are using Nitrogen instead of regular air to fill the tires to enhance stability. It is awesome and it is what a lot of tire companies are beginning to use.

Here is a good thread about the system. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...&Main=67936093
Old 04-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tyrael
Green Caps are the sh*t. Well, actually, Costco started a new program where they are using Nitrogen instead of regular air to fill the tires to enhance stability. It is awesome and it is what a lot of tire companies are beginning to use.

Here is a good thread about the system. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...&Main=67936093
Thanks, that certainly explains the green caps.

I've gone ahead and replaced them with chrome caps, but it would be nice to get the chrome caps with the greeen stripes as a reminder that the tires are full of nitrogen.