Need new tires...help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new tires...help?

Time to replace the tires on my 2004 TL with Navi. I live in Ohio, so all season would be nice, but I did put snow tires on last winter. What is the Acura recommended replacement tire and is the recommendation solid?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear

Question I also need new all season tires for my 05TL

Currently I have Goodyear's and they suck big time on wet roadways.....I have not found a post which is definitive on an all season tire that ppl love for their TL (automatic). The dealership says the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is for their 6speed car and not necessary for the automatic.....Please help.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend two tires - The Pirelli PZero Nero M+S and the more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I, along with a lot of folks on this board are running the Nero MS and absolutely love them. They have plenty of traction in all weathers and does not cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney like the Michelin's do.

But if you want the best A/S and money is no object then I would go with the Michelin.

Check out the prices for them on tirerack.com - I have bought 5+ set of tires and 1 set of rims from them over the years and they are great to deal with. Price is good too!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Racer

I have had the Pirelli's before and they are a fantastic tire. Right now I have a set of Toyo Proxes 4 and they are excellent so far. Right up there with the Pirelli's in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Advanced

I just had the Pirelli's installed today. Granted I only drove on them for about 10 miles but they seemed quiet and traction was really good. Drove through a big rain storm and it felt like the road was dry. I highly recommend the Pirelli's. I bought them at Tirerack and had them shipped to my Acura dealer. They installed them and balance them for $19 per tire. The tires were $131 each on Tirerack. I felt like I got a good deal for everything.

Cost me $710 for tires, installation and the warranty (I do about 30K+ miles a year and I wanted the additonal coverage just in case). Called my local Tires Plus and they wanted $820 for the Tires and Installation...no extended warranty. So I saved $110 plus got the warranty I wanted for a little more piece of mind.

Can't go wrong with this purchase.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Crosley, search this forum for:

a) Pirelli P-Zero Nero
b) Toyo Proxes 4
c) Avon Tech M550 A/S
d) Kumho Ecsta ASX
e) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

These are the most used replacement All-Season tires for the Turanzas (or the Pilot HX MXMV4 too) by the denizens of AcuraZine. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Also use TireRack.com to do research. (Use 1010tires.com for Toyo)

As for me, I replaced the EL-42's at 26,750 with the Pirelli P-Zero Neros and I have LOVED them. Great grip, very quiet, surprisingly comfortable, physically unable to hydroplane in them for the first 15K or so... I've put 26K on them, rotating every 5K, and they still have tread. Unfortunately, since about 24-25K they've started to make noises that I recognize from previous tires on previous cars as "cupping" which is not good but I can't explain exactly what the exact physical effect is on the tire. I just know I will be replacing in the next month, either with another set, or with the Avons which will save me ~ $100.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the Continental ContiExtremeContacts on my Saab 9-3 SE and they provided me with more than adequate winter weather traction in Indy. Plus, I had no complaints about the dry weather grip nor the road noise.

I would look into these and peruse the reviews on TireRack.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

I have severe cupping on my Avons at 14,000 miles. It results in noise and a shakey ride. I am not a happy camper. Anybody know what causes cupping? Any shot at having the tires replaced? I purchased them from Tirerack.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinDGP
I have severe cupping on my Avons at 14,000 miles. It results in noise and a shakey ride. I am not a happy camper. Anybody know what causes cupping? Any shot at having the tires replaced? I purchased them from Tirerack.

Usually 1 of 2 things. Bad alignment or Bad Shocks/Struts