Need Help Buying New Rims (06 Acura TL, Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Buying New Rims (06 Acura TL, Auto)

I recently got a flat tire which ruined my front left rim/wheel (somehow cracked the interior) and thus my replacement tire kept leaking air. I was quoted new factory rims, but the price was way too high. Even a used rim with a scratch from a junkyard was $150 (and they wouldn't show me a picture.)

The other 3 rims/wheels have noticeable gouges/scratches so I'm okay buying 4 new ones. I know I have four 235/45-17 tires. So based on my research I'll need rims/wheels that are 17-diameter and 8-wide. I am currently looking at the Enkei GP5. It matches the car color, weighs about the same as the old rim (24 lb.), new, 6% off, you can actually buy 4 of them, 1 year warranty, and two good reviews (although not statistically relevant).

Enkei Performance GP5 Silver Machined w/Clearcoat

I want to make sure I don't forget anything before I purchase 4 of these things. A few questions I have...

Will the new rims/wheels affect my TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)? The website says "Your Original Equipment sensors may be compatible with these wheels." Anyone have experience with this?
I noticed some people put an Acura logo over the top of the other logo... Is this easy? Does it look good?
Any other thoughts/recommendations?

-Chris
Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
hmmmm where to start. I personally don't think those wheels will look good on a TL but that's just me. It's your car. If you like them, get them. If I were you I would check the black market on here for some used OEM 07-08 wheels or even used type s wheels. Can't go wrong with the factory look.

You have an 06 so I'm assuming you already have TPMS sensors so you will just need to get those transferred over to whatever wheels you end up getting. Shouldn't be an issue.

Also you may have to look into getting new lug nuts if you don't go OEM as the cone seat bulge (acorn style) lugs that came on your car from the factory may not work with aftermarket wheels. Also possibly hub centric rings will be needed with after market wheels. Those are cheap tho.

As far as the acura logo goes, just transfer over your old acura center caps onto your new wheels and see if it fits. I had to use a hair dryer to heat up my old center caps and use a bit of force to get them to fit in my aftermarket 18's.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the help! Do you know anything about wheelership.com? They seem to be used frequently by forum members. They sell the replica wheel, which I've read is typically better than an OEM remanufacture/recondition. Replica is cheaper as well. The OEM tire specifically states that it will work with TPMS, but the replica doesn't say anything. Do you think it will work?

https://www.wheelership.com/brand-ne...rim-71749.html

https://www.wheelership.com/acura-tl...pms-71749.html
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
9th Gear

4 New 17" Wheels Rims for Type s 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 Acura TL TSX Rim 110 | eBay

Also looking at these. They say new, but I'm not sure if they're remanufactured/reconditioned or replicas. Also not sure about TPMS.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris Wojo
4 New 17" Wheels Rims for Type s 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 Acura TL TSX Rim 110 | eBay

Also looking at these. They say new, but I'm not sure if they're remanufactured/reconditioned or replicas. Also not sure about TPMS.
Those are type s replica wheels and yes, they are new. I am currently on a set of these wheels with the oem tire size, 235/45/17 and they look great. They will mount right up no problem as these wheels are the EXACT same specs as your factory wheels, 17x8 +45 offset, and you can transfer over your tpms and use your factory lug nuts. HOWEVER, keep in mind these are replicas and not OEM. So they are going to be a bit heavier than your factory wheels. If you are not planning on taking your TL to the track, they should be just fine.

There are a few people here on acurazine that have these replicas, maybe some of them can chime in. I have had mine on for almost a month now and love them! Yes, they are heavy and I have noticed that my TL's acceleration is not quite as quick as it normally is. But last time I checked the TL is a HEAVY LUXURY car and not a race car. If I were you I would get these and don't look back! Here's how my 06 looks with these replicas

Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
The reps from Tobacco Road are excellent wheels for the money.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I cry every time I see those wheels not made in 18" Satin. So. Much. Want.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 AM
9th Gear

Thanks for the help. I ended up buying the Acura TL Type S Replica (ALY71763U30N) wheels/rims.

They're installed, but now I'm looking into buying Duplicolor Gloss Clear Coat High Performance Wheel Coating
11 oz. Aerosol
(HWP103) and Duplicolor Graphite High Performance Wheel Coating
11 oz. Aerosol
(HWP102). After doing an insane amount of research, it seems like that color is best for the center/wheel cap. From what I've read, people use Plasti Dip Anthracite for the OEM wheels...!?

Lastly, the wheel lug nuts. I've read conflicting guidance on these. I'm looking into McGard or Gorilla as they've been recommended a lot. I just don't know what kind to get (besides black)... There are so many different kinds and most people are saying that aftermarket wheels are different than OEM, but this wheel is a replica and my old lug nuts supposedly work!? Just need some detailed guidance here. Trying to do this right the first time and set others up for success.

I'll upload pictures and a ton of good information for future folks soon.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Andrew

It's the seat that is different on the aftermarket wheels compared to OEM. OEM is an acorn or ball seat, it's round at the bottom. Aftermarket is usually a cone seat, which has different sides. I run stock lugs on my stock wheels and spline-drive's on my aftermarket set.

Last edited by VisualEchos; 03-03-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Instructor

-You will need the acorn ball seat lug nuts for these wheels as these replicas were made to exact OEM specs. So you can either use your old lug nuts that are already on your car, or get new ones (color of your choice) as long as they are the acorn bulge ball seat. They should look exactly the same size and style as the lug nuts that came on your TL from the factory.

-I used anthracite grey plasti dip to match my center caps. Why plasti dip and not high performance duplicolor wheel coating? Because Plasti dip is peelable. Scroll up on my previous posted pic and look closely at my center caps. See how the color is matched to the wheels but yet the acura inlay symbol is still black? That's because after I let the dip fully dry I sat there with a toothpick (for about 45 minutes no joke) and very carefully peeled away the dip from just the acura in lay symbol. Tedious and time consuming very mucn so. But worth it in my opinion. If you are wanting to go all out here is exactly the process i used.

-Materials needed - - 1 can anthracite grey plasti dip. 1 can plasti dip glossifier. toothpick.

4 coats anthracite. (youtube how to dip properly, 50% coverage 1st coat, wait 10-15 minutes inbetween coats etc.).

Let center caps completely dry (1-2 hours). Now the fun part! Sit down with your toothpick or finger nails and start to VERY CAREFULLY peel away at the acura in lay symbol to reveal the black "A".

After you do all four caps, hit it with 2 wet coats of glossifier (10-15 minutes in between coats) and Bingo!

Good Luck!!!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
9th Gear

Thanks again guys!

So does McGard not sell Acorn Ball Seat/Acorn Bulge Ball Seat lug nuts? Lug Nuts/Lug Bolts

Their website only references "bulge style acorn lug nuts" here:
Lug Nut Comparison

No reference to ball seat.

Their vehicle application guide points you to cone seat lug nuts for a 2006 Acura TL. Although I thought it mostly depended on the wheel/rim!? "Not for use on OEM wheels" is listed at the bottom of all the lug nuts I saw.

AutoZone lists the McGard lug nuts application as "Acorn Bulge," but cone/seat style as "cone." Seems contradicting?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Andrew

I think they are all cone-seat, made for aftermarket wheels. I would use your stock ball-seat lugs for stock wheels. I seem to remember seeing some Gorilla lugs that were ball-seat, but you'd have to check.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:12 PM
9th Gear

This seems to say conical and acorn are the same: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A10YUI3XVcS.pdf
It also references ball vs cone specifically on the lug bolt as it does here: Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories