Motor Mount Advise TL '08

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Motor Mount Advise TL '08

Hi guys,
This is '08 TL Base at 129K miles. Recently I discovered my right (passenger) motor mount was cracked so I replaced that. After some research on the forum stating if the right engine mount is broken, it usually means the front engine mount is already broken because it is the first mount to break. Sure enough, once I took off 2x17mm bolt holding the bracket and then 14mm bolt holding the mount to the engine to expose the mount, I can see the top split off from the bottom exposing the hydraulic fluid. So I replaced the front engine mount (was hoping I didn't have to).

Now, here is my question and I need advise.
- What is the possibility that my Rear engine mount, and the upper and lower transmission mount is broken too? Like I said, I don't have any vibration in my cabin when car is in idle, maybe feel a bit vibration when at high speed 50-75mph? Then again, it could be the road, it's hard to tell.
What are my options here?
- Just buy the mounts and replace it? I don't want to spend the money or time to work on the car if I don't have to yet.
- or take 3 bolts off and visually inspect the Rear mount?
- Can I visually inspect the lower transmission mount by taking just the driver's side tire off?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
why replace the rear if it is good!??!?
VISUALLY inspect all MOUNTS...and replace if worn or torn should be YOUR ONLY option
Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Advanced

that's the thing, I don't know if it is good or not. I'm just afraid it's like the front motor mount. It feels fine when driving, but the front was broken and there was no vibration. But you're right, I have to visually inspect them. It's a lot of work to inspect them and put it back, that's why I was contemplating and asking for advise of either inspect it or just go head and replace.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
after replacing both front and side mount because of being torn, I found out my rear was in perfectly great shape. but since i had went with aftermarket mounts that came 3 in a package, i went ahead and changed the rear any way.

either way, you're still going to be messing with covers, and mounts and bolts...etc...
and if you find the rear is shot, you're going to have to un-do the front and side to give slack

no matter what you do, you're still going to be wrenching and wasting time!

Last edited by justnspace; 04-05-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Advanced

do you really need to undo front/side to give slack when doing rear mount? all the video I see doesn't do that, same with side and front mount replacement.