Mismatched Tire Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Mismatched Tire Sizes

OK so after installing my lowering springs this week I have come to the conclusion that my rear tires need to be replaced BADLY (seeing as the inside edges are worn to the belt). I have been considering upsizing to 255/40R17 for a bit but seeing as I need rear tires immediately, would putting 255/40R17's on the back and leaving the 235/45R17's on the front cause any problems? Im not too concerned with small issues since I will replace the fronts in a week or so but I just want to make sure that my VSA wont go nuts or anything like that.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
OK so after installing my lowering springs this week I have come to the conclusion that my rear tires need to be replaced BADLY (seeing as the inside edges are worn to the belt). I have been considering upsizing to 255/40R17 for a bit but seeing as I need rear tires immediately, would putting 255/40R17's on the back and leaving the 235/45R17's on the front cause any problems? Im not too concerned with small issues since I will replace the fronts in a week or so but I just want to make sure that my VSA wont go nuts or anything like that.

Thanks!
You may need to turn off the VSA for the time being... This may not apply, becuase my example is on a RWD car, but on my G Coupe, when I mismatched the fronts/backs, the VDC kept thinking I was skidding when I took curves at the posted limit... It would brake my front left tire on right-curves, and my front right tire on left curves, which caused my tail to step out... And this wasn't even mismatching sizes, just brand/model of tires... My rears were new RE960AS and my fronts were Pilot Sport A/S with 70% tread left... Turns out when new RE960AS are slightly taller than Pilot Sport A/S for the same size tire... So I figured this in combination with my fronts already being plus sized 1.0%, caused the VDC to flip out.... So I replaced the fronts with new RE960AS, and my VDC was happy again...

I know someone else chimed in and said the TL would be ok, becuase it's FWD, so VSA wouldn't be affected by this sort of thing, only traction control...

But that's why I say that since it's temporary, you could always turn off the VSA for the time being if the system does give you hiccups...

Last edited by avs007; 05-27-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I wouldn't. VSA and/or ABS could be affected. I supposed you could mitigate VSA concerns by turning it off, but VSA could be a life saver if ever in a severe driving situation. With it turned off, you don't have it available should that type of situation present itself.

I also wouldn't want to take the risk of getting into a situation where a panic stop was required and have a chance of ABS malfunction/inconsistency when you need it most.

FWIW, here's what's on page 220 (at least for 04 TL) of the manual:

Using tires of a different
size or construction can cause the
anti-lock brake and the vehicle
stability assist systems to work
inconsistently.

WARNING
Installing improper tires on your
vehicle can affect handling and
stability. This can cause a crash
in which you can be seriously
hurt or killed.