Michlin All season Stock Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michlin All season Stock Tires

Has anyone gone over 36,000 miles on their stock tires. I have an 05 TL Automatic which came equiped with All season Michlin Tires. Went to Good Year to have my oil change the other day and the guy told me that my tires are worn out. He showed them to me and sure enough the tread was really low. I have been rotating the tires every 6,000 miles so thats not an issue. I dont know if it just a matter of NYC driving or do you guys think that this is normal for the stock tires to be worn out so fast.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have over 70,000 km (45,000 miles) on my stock Michelins all seasons on the 2006 TL. Still a good amount of tread left so I expect to get 60K or so.

Last edited by Don1; 01-20-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: to clarify mileage
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawbone
Has anyone gone over 36,000 miles on their stock tires.
I dont know if it just a matter of NYC driving or do you guys think that this is normal for the stock tires to be worn out so fast.
The Michelin MXM4s are a long-wearing, quiet tire. I'm at 42k+ miles, and there is probably another 10K left on them if I were so inclined.

However, road surfaces differ, and some surfaces will wear tires more than others. If your tires are evenly worn, it may be due to your local road surfaces.

IIRC, the MXM4s actually have a warranty through 40K miles, but they do not have as much dry traction as the Pilot A/S or various UHP tires, most of which wear at twice the rate of the MXM4s. I'm looking forward to replacing the MXM4s with Bridgestone Pole Positions or Michelin Pilot A/S tires if I decide to keep the TL in the next couple of months.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I was on track to be at ~3/32nds with around 30,000 - 35,000 miles. So, 36k isn't too bad. Should be near the expected service life of the tire.

Frankly I couldn't wait to get rid of the stock MXM4's, so when I had an excuse (flimsy as it was), they were landfill.

Look at this user survey before slapping on another set at $250+ per tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

17th out of 18 in it's catagory and probably the most expensive tire in the catagory. You can do better. Check the Ultra High Performance All Season Category for possible replacements.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

17th out of 18 in it's catagory and probably the most expensive tire in the catagory. You can do better. Check the Ultra High Performance All Season Category for possible replacements.
Yeah, the stock Michelins are utter crap. When they were almost new, my wife got stuck in the snow on our hill. My car had almost bald Continental ContiExtremeContact tires, and I made it up the hill in the 8" of snow just fine.

The stock michelins also suck in the rain... I have since replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions. I think tirerack still has them ranked as #1 in the survey... Awesome tire... My wife commented on how much better traction they get in both dry/wet conditions... Few weeks ago, we even tested it out on the same hill my wife got stuck, but this time we had between 10-12" on the ground... Drove like a champ, while other cars were spinning out and getting stuck.

My wife commented they were also quieter than the stock tires. I couldn't really tell the difference from that perspective.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great! Thanks for all of your inputs. I think I will look into the Potenza. I have been hearing a lot of good reveiws on them. Cheers!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
The Michelin MXM4s are a long-wearing, quiet tire. I'm at 42k+ miles, and there is probably another 10K left on them if I were so inclined.

However, road surfaces differ, and some surfaces will wear tires more than others. If your tires are evenly worn, it may be due to your local road surfaces.

IIRC, the MXM4s actually have a warranty through 40K miles, but they do not have as much dry traction as the Pilot A/S or various UHP tires, most of which wear at twice the rate of the MXM4s. I'm looking forward to replacing the MXM4s with Bridgestone Pole Positions or Michelin Pilot A/S tires if I decide to keep the TL in the next couple of months.
i am guessing you have never had a nice set of quiet tires on your car before....

the oem michelins are one of the worst tires out there....they are noisy, horrible in the rain, but they do indeed last a long time....i would say on average 50k miles...

consider yourself lucky if you need new tires before that....that way you can put a decent set of tires on the car....my personal recommendation is the bridgestone 960 as poleposition.....great all around tire, might not last as long, but much much quieter, handle very nice, and far superior in the rain over the oem michilens....
Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vinnier6
my personal recommendation is the bridgestone 960 as poleposition.....great all around tire, might not last as long, but much much quieter, handle very nice, and far superior in the rain over the oem michilens....
The 960AS also have a 40,000 mile warranty, so even if they wear out sooner, you can get credits to another tire. It used to be the only tire in the Ultra High Performance All season category with a warranty, but I saw that Michelin came out with a new tire with a 45,000 mile warranty... The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Weren't very many reviews on that tire, but I used the non plus version of that tire and liked them a lot. They just wore out fast, but that was on a different car. I may try them out when my potenzas wear out, just to try them out. (Don't confuse the Pilot Sport with Pilot HX MXM4, lightyears apart in performance)
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
i am guessing you have never had a nice set of quiet tires on your car before....

the oem michelins are one of the worst tires out there....they are noisy, horrible in the rain, but they do indeed last a long time....i would say on average 50k miles...
My TL with the MXM4s is quieter than most cars I've been in except the LS400, but I do not select quieter "touring" tires like the MXM4 as replacements-- in coastal LA, I prefer dry traction-biased tires.

Notably, the MXM4s did seem to lose some dry traction after about the 25K mile mark, but they are wearing very evenly and remain quiet.

I've had minimal experience with the MXM4s in the rain, but they have never lost traction on wet roads. Then again, I try to drive appropriately and avoid areas of collected water where I have lost traction previously in other cars with more performance-oriented tires.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
they are not a quiet tire....maybe on a perfect road, but trust me, they are not quiet...

and dont confuse the oem mxmm for the non oem version....different tire...or atleast a different compound
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Drifting

they are not a quiet tire....maybe on a perfect road, but trust me, they are not quiet...

and dont confuse the oem mxmm for the non oem version....different tire...or atleast a different compound
The non-oem MXM4 still sucks.. I bought them for my other car a long time ago, cuz that's all they had in my size at the time, and I needed tires right away cuz I got a blowout... I only put 500 miles on them, and hated the performance so much, I took them off and replaced them with something else....

The OEM tires on the TL... If you take a brisk curve they squeel quite loudly. (Been a while, but I think that's how I remember it). With the Potenzas, I was able to take the same curves much more aggressively... Now you might say, you don't take hard corners... Actually, everyone does... In emergency situations... This can mean the difference between avoiding somebody, and crashing.

Likewise, you will notice a significant different in wet traction. My wife even noticed it even on the drive home from the tire shop before the tires were broken in)... You'll notice they bite much harder from standing-stop acceleratin in both dry and wet pavement... Now you might say, you don't do jack-rabbit starts, so you don't care about traction... Actually, you should... For panic stop situations... The traction benefits that apply to acceleration, also apply to deceleration... In a panic stop situation, it can mean the difference between avoiding somebody, and crashing into them. You can have Brembo brakes with 6 piston calipers, but if you have el-crappo tires that lose traction, your brembos aren't gonna do jack to help you stop any faster.

Last edited by avs007; 01-21-2009 at 01:32 PM.