Michelin Stock Tires in Snow (Another Review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin Stock Tires in Snow (Another Review)

Drove to work today in western PA in about 2-3 inches of snow. The salt trucks had not gone by at all from what it appeared. Temp is about 17F or so.

Backed out of my driveway, after I had shoveled over maybe 1/4 of snow. My driveway is STEEP and the car handled it well. A little slippage near the top but quite manageable. The roads were completely snow covered and traffic on the 2 lane leading to the highway was going 15-20. Car handled OK, but I didn't feel super comfy. A little too much gas and she'd slide a little to the right.

The onramp is the real reason I am even writing this lilttle piece. Its about 2/10 of a mile long, straight and on an incline. There was a steady line of cars ahead and behind me. MY VSA was going crazy going up the hill... For 100-200 yards I was barely moving. I have placed the car into L and still was having trouble. Eventually, it bit and off I went. I was shocked to have THAT much trouble though. I suppose what everyone says is indeed true.

The rest of the drive (about 20 miles on highwaY) were OK. Again, a little too much gas here or there and I would drift although the VSA did not come on again during the highway driving. Speeds were 20-45 max. There were several other accidents and cars in the median. My 22 minute ride was 1:15 today.

One thing I did notice was that stopping did not appear to give me as many problems as I would have thought. Granted I was not heavy on the braking and began slowing down at stops well in advance.

In the rain last week, despite what I've read, the tires were OK in the rain. I did not push them based on reviews here, but I was fairly happy with them. I know other tires would be MUCH better.

All in all, I plan on using these tires until 8k and replacing them with either the Falkens or the Nero's... Last week, I felt good about the tires in weather despite reading the reviews. Today, their stock has dwindled some in my eyes, but they are manageable for the most part with smart sound driving. That being said, I am still very much looking forward to new tires...