Michelin Pilot Sport A/S help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S help a newbie

I am a newbie to this forum so please don't shoot me for another post on this tire thread. Just returned my 2002 TL-S last week from a 36 month lease and now have the 2004 TL in automatic.

I am driving this car a week mostly local. Called my tire dealer to find out how much these tires cost because thought it might be a good idea to have a spare in case I need a replacement because they usually don't stock 17". My 2002 TL stock Michelins bubbled a few of them and figured down the road I will need one.

Anyway I get 2 prices on these EL42's one dealer for $135.00 and one another want $290.00. That's when I started getting curious what is the deal with these EL42's. Started to search the interenet and find out these tires are about $125.00 and read all the negative feedback at The Tire Rack and Acura-TL.Com.

I live in NYC with all types of crazy you never know weather conditions. I not happy to hear things like hyrdoplaining and bad on snow. I want to be able to tackle all conditions with confidence after all this is an Acura 270HP.

So I am thinking of just changing like others and getting Michelin Sport A/S. Only hear good things about these.

Read so many posts my head is spinning and I think this is the thing to do except for the cost factor of having to get 4 new tires. I was told I would really see a major improvement like day and night in all aspects perfomance and handling with The Michelin Sport A/S.

Just want to hear from others if I should just go for it and bite the bullet. If it will make such a difference I want them. Let me know what you all think.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Go for it. They are excellent tires.

Mike
'04 ABP 5AT, Michelin PS A/S
Old 07-22-2004, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

I have been reading some more on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I see quite a few people complaing that these tires pull to the right. Is this a major problem?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome welcome to the club...

I second svtmike. Go for it. My early version PVC EL42s didn't give me too much trouble but hydroplaning in water-full areas. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S would be my first choice, if my Falken tires fail, I will have Pilot Sport A/S on right away.

Since there are two dealers are willing to give you such good trading price for BS EL42s, I'd suggest you to take advantage of this and upgrade to Michelin ASAP.

Comparing to EL42s, you won't find too much pulling-right or vibration issues. Crown roads could be the main factor, IMO.

Where are you going to replace them if you don't mind I'm asking here?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 AM
3rd Gear

These are not trade in prices. This is a lease and got the car last week. I would just be replacing them at local tire shop. I doubt they would give me anything at this point. I just want my new fast sporty TL riding on the best so I can get the best out of it.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by xtreme122
These are not trade in prices. This is a lease and got the car last week. I would just be replacing them at local tire shop. I doubt they would give me anything at this point. I just want my new fast sporty TL riding on the best so I can get the best out of it.
THe Pilots are awesome tires...damn expensive though...

Rets, you mention Falkens, which ones are you running? Happy so far??

Xtreme122, I think you should consider Falkens as a good alternative at a much lower price...but if price is no object, the Pilot Sports are awesome tires
Old 07-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Keep in mind that "day and night" difference is a relative thing. Be aware of how you drive the car, and what your expectations are going in.

I'm a pretty agressive driver, and have a Corvette with Michelin Pilot Sports. But when driving the TL (or whatever my daily driver has been), I have never felt unsafe. I simply learn the limits and stay within them. Even with the EL42's, the TL's limits are higher than the average car by a pretty significant margin. Consider all the SUVs, Mini-vans etc that are on the roads. You don't see them flying off into ditches due to poor handling and tires, do you?

I have frequently upgraded perfectly good tires, but I always had a specific reason, and exepectations. And not just because of what everyone else on the forum thinks.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
... ...Rets, you mention Falkens, which ones are you running? Happy so far??... ...
As we talked before, I chose Ziex ZE512, the same size as OEM. They handle quite well in most of situations with better grip and performance in either dry or wet conditions. I don't want to say it's as good as Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but with the price I paid, I have no complaint at all.