Michelin Exalto H-rated vs Sport Z-rated?

Old 11-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Michelin Exalto H-rated vs Sport Z-rated?

I have been following this site for a while but this is my first post.

Time to replace my stock Turanzas that lasted 16,000 miles. I was going with the Pilot Sport A/S recommendations but just saw the Tire Rack opinions of the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. By all opinions, they are higher rated by users and less money. The Exaltos are only rated as "H" where the Sports are rated with a "Z" speed rating. I understand the "H" is rated up to ~130 mph where the "Z" is ~ 149 mph.

Should I be concerned about putting "H" rated tires on my 2004 TL? I live in New England so we are spared the high temperatures of the south if that contributes to tire deterioration. I will only exceed 85 mph for brief periods and don't imagine ever exceeding 110 mph. Of course the idea of a blowout at 85 is a bit disturbing.

Thanks in advance for any insight / experience people can contribute.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jlkdoh, from experience, and living in the Northeast (Toronto) we had a car that had H rated tires (97 v6 Camry) we put T rated tires on and had no issues and increased tire life. A possible downside if any is slightly reduced handling/sidewall squishing = improved ride quality. However it the H rated tires you are getting have better traction (AA, A) then you will not miss out on too much.

To make my point again, I drive a 2001 v6 Accord (very similar overall to the TL) and it came with V-rated tires. I've used H-rated 17"ers then when those wore out, I used Z-rated ones in the summer and S rated snow tires in the winter. I've been doing that since day 1 when I bought the car new on Dec 2000. I drive 33000km/yr (21000mi) mixed driving and I hit 90mph, etc etc etc.

Bottom line is that as long as you aren't trying to wring out G's (roadholding)/Car and driver mag testing, you won't notice any major issues with the step down to H, in fact any passengers in your car will thank you for havin H rated tires in terms of ride quality .

I also found the following to backup my point:
source: Tirerack.com
Speed Rating

In Europe, where selected highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted, speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capability of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at "unusual" mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer's ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits.

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.

It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer's original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can't control the quality of the repair.

Over the years, tire speed rating symbols have been marked on tires in any of three ways shown in the following examples:

225/50SR16 225/50SR16 89S or 225/50R16 89S

Each of these was an acceptable method of identifying speed ratings.

Early tires had their speed rating symbol shown "within" the tire size, such as 225/50SR16. Tires using this type of branding were not to have been produced after 1991.

225/50SR16 112 mph, 180 km/h
225/50HR16 130, 210 km/h
225/50VR16 in excess of 130 mph, 210 km/h

Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:

M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlkdoh
I have been following this site for a while but this is my first post.

Time to replace my stock Turanzas that lasted 16,000 miles. I was going with the Pilot Sport A/S recommendations but just saw the Tire Rack opinions of the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. By all opinions, they are higher rated by users and less money. The Exaltos are only rated as "H" where the Sports are rated with a "Z" speed rating. I understand the "H" is rated up to ~130 mph where the "Z" is ~ 149 mph.

Should I be concerned about putting "H" rated tires on my 2004 TL? I live in New England so we are spared the high temperatures of the south if that contributes to tire deterioration. I will only exceed 85 mph for brief periods and don't imagine ever exceeding 110 mph. Of course the idea of a blowout at 85 is a bit disturbing.

Thanks in advance for any insight / experience people can contribute.

You really shouldn't have any issues with H-rated tires, just possibly as 05v6solara said with softer sidewalls. The chances of a blowout aren't any different due to the H rating -- in normal driving. The treadlife should be a bit longer and apparently the winter traction on this model is very highly rated by TireRack buyers. So seems like a good NH choice!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Thank you both 05v6solara & richrath. Some good information. One National chain discouraged the H-rated with, "You will definately feel the squishy handling". Because the Exaltos require special ordering, they don't come with the 30-day test drive to smooth my concerns.

I think I am sweating this tire purchase more than the original car purchase...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Well, ordered up some Pilot Sport A/S. My consideration of the Exalto was based on the reviews from Tire Rack. I played with the site more and found that I could filter the reviews by the type of car. Not one person had mounted them on their TL and most of the reviews were on lesser performance based cars, so I fear those rankings could be "inflated" relative to the Sports. If I still had my old Integra, the Exaltos might be worthy of a high traction number as that car wouldn't accelerate out of corners like this one. It might not be as high of an opinion if tested more. The Exalto "Snow Traction" number might be less if someone had mounted 235s and driven them as oppossed to 185s.

I don't know just decided that I didn't want to be the first that I talked to or read about that put Exaltos on a TL. I went the "safe" road and ended up spending more money, but peace of mind is worth something.

Thank you again for your help and interest.