Making my 3G TL handle better

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Making my 3G TL handle better

The only gripe I have with my TL is that its FWD. If only Acura had made the TL a RWD . I am going on a mountain run with my TL this Sunday. I attended the previous run with my RWD car and it was tons of fun! I met a few TL owners at the meet but they were all type s and they said the car was doing fine.

I decided to "practice" this afternoon. I know this stretch of road that is all curvy and twisty. Around 60mph the car feels alright...not the best but it feels okay. When taking going through a twistie at 70mph and flooring it out of the turn it feels like the car is going to lose control.

Now these are my plans to make my 3G TL handle better.

Excelerate Performance: Progress 24MM Rear Sway Bar
Megan Coilovers

What else should I add to make it handle a bit better? All suggestions are welcome!

And btw does the type s handle better? When I went on the last mountain run we were doing 80 mph through twists and turns and the TLS stayed right with me.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
was it a stock type s or modded?

your stock 08 is sitting on the softest OEM suspension available for the car. also has a smaller FSB/RSB than a stock type s.

type s has a firmer suspension, bigger front and rear sway bar. so yes...it will handle better than a stock base 08.

swapping the FSB requires dropping the subframe. IHC has stated the most balance set up is a types FSB, progress rSB on soft and suspension mods (ie aspec).

so you want the ultimate set up add a type-s FSB to your shopping list. i do not know what the handling characteristics of the megan coilovers are, so i cannot comment on that.

if you run a search for progress RSB...you can find some of the threads IHC has commented on with regard to balancing the handling of the TL.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 12-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
Coilovers (center of gravity lowered), rear sway bar and XLR8 motor mounts were the three things I instantly noticed a marked improvement in handling.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Good tires.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Good tires.
this too^^
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
before anything, tires. next, the rear sway bar and good shocks and springs.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDingo:
AtlM5 (04-17-2012), JD TL-S (12-23-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Drive it like its Stolen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well just having become a 3G TL owner....
I'm thinking a bigger sway bar will make her a little more tail happy. However this is prolly the best handling car I have had. Having owned a 95 Taurus SHO, then the Pontiac GTP, both of which had non-stock rear sway bars...I prefer a slightly tail happy off throttle feeling...

So I'm thinking the same way...sway bars would be a good start...
Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
Coilovers (center of gravity lowered), rear sway bar and XLR8 motor mounts were the three things I instantly noticed a marked improvement in handling.
what do motor mounts do for you?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires.

Tires.

And then a slightly thicker RSB, and coilovers or maybe springs.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires...
I think OP needs just FOUR tires.

Do not forget that air pressure is 1) adjustable, and 2) can be used to alter certain characteristics of the tires. If the tire pressure is too low, the car will respond more sluggishly with more mushy steering feel. Certain tires are more sensitive than others to air pressure adjustment, too. Try higher cold pressures-- 40F/37R rather than 35F/32R or 33/32, etc.-- when driving in high-performance mode.

New tires are the most effective way to make a car handle better, but only under certain conditions. If one gets summer tires, they will work great on warm dry days, but not well at all on snowy and wet days (something to keep in mind since this is now December ). All-seasons are a compromise of various characteristics, as are most street tires.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Coilovers (lower center of gravity)
RSB (Rear sway bar)
FSB (Front sway bar)
Good Tires
Power mods for your Low + Mid range
Loose some weight (am talking about the TL)
Old 12-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
I think OP needs just FOUR tires.

Do not forget that air pressure is 1) adjustable, and 2) can be used to alter certain characteristics of the tires. If the tire pressure is too low, the car will respond more sluggishly with more mushy steering feel. Certain tires are more sensitive than others to air pressure adjustment, too. Try higher cold pressures-- 40F/37R rather than 35F/32R or 33/32, etc.-- when driving in high-performance mode.

New tires are the most effective way to make a car handle better, but only under certain conditions. If one gets summer tires, they will work great on warm dry days, but not well at all on snowy and wet days (something to keep in mind since this is now December ). All-seasons are a compromise of various characteristics, as are most street tires.
I thought lower tire pressure means better steering/stiffer feel? If not, what PSI do you recommend using for 245-45-17 UHP all-season tires?

I had 35psi all around on my Michelin Pilot Sports, but didn't notice much of a difference except you can feel the bumps/road more.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM

^^^ PSI never goes by tire size....

on the tire there is MAX PSI mentioned....i usually put 80% of that....

example: if the max psi is 51....i usually put 37-38....if the max psi says 42 i put in 32....
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All are good advise and will definitely improve handling, but with improved handling, one tends to go faster, and if you go faster no matter how good is your car handling, if you cant stop or pads fade with heat you are shiet out of luck,

so my advise is always to upgrade you brakes, either with rotors and pads or better a BBK, that will improve handling......

My 2 cents......OP is going to get bit by the "mod" mosquito $$$$$$............
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (12-23-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Has anyone said anything about tires?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by vp55
I thought lower tire pressure means better steering/stiffer feel? If not, what PSI do you recommend using for 245-45-17 UHP all-season tires?
Higher pressure = stiffer sidewalls, which means some increased steering response + steering feel.

I run 37F/34R- 36F/33R on my stock-size Yoko Advan S.4s.

My rule of thumb is that you can run any pressure you like between the recommended pressure and 40 or 42 psi for tires on a daily driver-- just maintain the F/R difference and check the tires for unusual wear every week.

...except you can feel the bumps/road more.
Yes, that's the "increased steering response + steering feel."

When the car turns more sharply or at higher speeds, the higher-pressure tires will roll over less, but you'll feel more of the road irregularities; the car may feel less luxurious and more sporty. It's a trade-off.
vp55 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Higher pressure = stiffer sidewalls, which means some increased steering response + steering feel.

I run 37F/34R- 36F/33R on my stock-size Yoko Advan S.4s.

My rule of thumb is that you can run any pressure you like between the recommended pressure and 40 or 42 psi for tires on a daily driver-- just maintain the F/R difference and check the tires for unusual wear every week.

Yes, that's the "increased steering response + steering feel."

When the car turns more sharply or at higher speeds, the higher-pressure tires will roll over less, but you'll feel more of the road irregularities; the car may feel less luxurious and more sporty. It's a trade-off.
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I noticed a harsher ride after getting these tires. The car handles better but kind of "wobbles" sometimes during rough roads/bumps, meaning it sways slightly left to right during uneven/rough roads.

I may need to look into getting new shocks/springs.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires.

Tires.

And then a slightly thicker RSB, and coilovers or maybe springs.

I actually wrote this 8 hours ago and forgot to hit send.

Exactly. No suspension mods will come close to making the kind of gains you get on good tires. Not even close.

As for the rest of the questions, I've written way too much too many times on handling improvements and the reasons why so I'm not going to do it again but if you want to search using my username you can find a lot of information.

I will tell you this though, lower does not usually equal better when the TL already practically sits on the bumpstops.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

To add to some of the more recent comments, more tire pressure does not always mean better traction. In fact many times it can reduce traction. Trying to get close to the max on the sidewall is not the way to the best traction. Best MPG maybe but not traction.

For example, my NT05s say something like 50psi or 55psi and above 35-36psi traction starts going down. At the track that means a cold pressure of 28psi or less. For the street, cold pressure is 31-32psi to get me to the max traction area when hot. You have to find out through testing what pressure gets you the best traction for your particular tires on your particular car. There's no one pressure fits all.

I'm OCD when it comes to tires but if it means the difference in stopping in time or stopping 10 feet into someone's bumper it's worth the money to get a great set of tires. Think about it for a second, a really good set of tires can reduce stopping distances by 20'. That's huge if you're trying to avoid an accident. I had a wreck where some chick pulled out right in front of me and panicked and stopped right in front of me. I jammed on the brakes and then swerved around her at the last second. I hit her so gently that I thought I heard a noise but wasn't sure. I pulled over and had a little blue paint on my bumper from her car. I was doing 55mph at the time. That would have totaled the car if I made full contact. These tires are waaaay above other street tires and there's no doubt with an ordinary tire the car would be totaled.

Better response/turn-in does not always mean a stiffer ride and a stiffer ride does not always mean better response. I had a set of tires that you felt every pebble on the road with only average response (BFG G-force Sport) and the Nitto NT05 I currently have have race-like crispness and response yet they ride pretty nice for what they are.

The TL's stock brakes whether it's the 11.8" 5at brakes or the 12.2" Brembos have more than enough power to lock up a good set of tires. Bigger brakes will only help stopping distances if you do enough consecutive hard stops to fade them. Otherwise bigger brakes are worthless. I upgraded to a 13" BBK and it did not shorten distances at all but they are very nice for repeated hard stops, effortless stops from 120mph. They also allow you to use a slightly less aggressive pad so you don't have to deal with the squeaking and cold stop issues.
TheDingo (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
^ i thought you had left the forum. glad to see you're still around.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered but harmless

The car handles better but kind of "wobbles" sometimes during rough roads/bumps, meaning it sways slightly left to right during uneven/rough roads.
That sounds like a toe alignment problem at the rear wheels-- several of us have had that, which was corrected immediately by a proper alignment.
You'll need the proper wheel alignment on the car to make sure the tires do their job correctly,without wearing unevenly or prematurely.
vp55 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheDingo
^ i thought you had left the forum. glad to see you're still around.
Thanks. I mostly hang out in the audio forum; I've never been into car audio much so it's my new learning experience. Too many repeat questions over here, I just lost interest.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 AM

IHC, NT05 wears out faster than any tire I've seen. Have you ever decided to run a V12 Evo tire? I compared the two before I bought the Hankooks and Hankooks won.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
IHC, NT05 wears out faster than any tire I've seen. Have you ever decided to run a V12 Evo tire? I compared the two before I bought the Hankooks and Hankooks won.
I did a test about a year ago of a bunch of R compounds and ultra performance summer tires. The NT05 had several unique qualities that made it stand out for daily driving and occasional track use.

They don't have to be hot to stick, just a few minutes of driving is needed and when dead cold they're no worse than a normal tire. The R compounds would stick better when fully hot but they never reached their optimal temp with street driving and the NT05 had better traction under these conditions. The street tires on the other hand got worse and worse as they got hot. This quality was the decision maker for me. What's more important for a street tire than operating in it's optimal range in spirited street driving?

They're comfortable for what they are. Steering response and turn-in is ultra sharp. They are very close to a full race tire in this category but they ride like a street tire.

They don't turn to butter after a few laps like EVERY OTHER street tire did and the rubber does not come off in chunks.

They don't wear super fast when cold but they do wear as quick as any other 200 treadwear tire will. I make sure alignments are perfect and I get about 20k out of them.

They're ultra quiet for a tire in this category. All of the R compounds were not usable on the street. My subs at the time (2-12W6s on 1,000w) could barely drown out the noise. Conversation was nearly impossible at 30mph. Some of the street tires were very noisy as well.

Very good wet traction.

They're cheaper than most in this category.

Now if I got to change one thing about them it would be the option to have a full 9/32" of tread instead of 6/32". I'm not concerned about losing an imperceptible amount of precision or the heat generated from the extra tread.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

That sounds like a toe alignment problem at the rear wheels-- several of us have had that, which was corrected immediately by a proper alignment.
You'll need the proper wheel alignment on the car to make sure the tires do their job correctly,without wearing unevenly or prematurely.
Thanks, I was hoping it was something within the area of getting an alignment or getting the tires balanced.

Do you think I should get the tires rotated and balanced first, or most likely just an alignment issue?

Last edited by vp55; 12-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I did a test about a year ago of a bunch of R compounds and ultra performance summer tires. The NT05 had several unique qualities that made it stand out for daily driving and occasional track use.

They don't have to be hot to stick, just a few minutes of driving is needed and when dead cold they're no worse than a normal tire. The R compounds would stick better when fully hot but they never reached their optimal temp with street driving and the NT05 had better traction under these conditions. The street tires on the other hand got worse and worse as they got hot. This quality was the decision maker for me. What's more important for a street tire than operating in it's optimal range in spirited street driving?

They're comfortable for what they are. Steering response and turn-in is ultra sharp. They are very close to a full race tire in this category but they ride like a street tire.

They don't turn to butter after a few laps like EVERY OTHER street tire did and the rubber does not come off in chunks.

They don't wear super fast when cold but they do wear as quick as any other 200 treadwear tire will. I make sure alignments are perfect and I get about 20k out of them.

They're ultra quiet for a tire in this category. All of the R compounds were not usable on the street. My subs at the time (2-12W6s on 1,000w) could barely drown out the noise. Conversation was nearly impossible at 30mph. Some of the street tires were very noisy as well.

Very good wet traction.

They're cheaper than most in this category.

Now if I got to change one thing about them it would be the option to have a full 9/32" of tread instead of 6/32". I'm not concerned about losing an imperceptible amount of precision or the heat generated from the extra tread.
Oh I never knew they started out at 6/32". I guess I failed reading.

I will maybe just lean toward a longevity UHP tire like the Conti DW just because I use my car a lot.

Thanks, I was hoping it was something within the area of getting an alignment or getting the tires balanced.

Do you think I should get the tires rotated and balanced first, or most likely just an alignment issue?
A balance won't hurt. I get my balances free from Discount Tire, so if that is the case, go ahead and do it.
vp55 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered but harmless

You're welcome.

Check the tires to make sure there is fairly even wear on the treads. If there's even wear, no vibration and the tires were rotated and balanced within the last 3000 miles or so, the four-wheel alignment should be fine; just do a rotation at the next service.
If there is slightly uneven wear, do a rotation and set all the tires to preferred pressure (particularly if you run higher pressures up front) before the alignment.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
A6 and TL

New tires it is. I went on the run today. The TL did great. I imagine after I get my swaybars, coils and brembos it will be much better. The only problem I had were the tires. Not sure what kind of tires they are (came with the car) but they were annoying. At high speeds they screeched and felt unstable. =(
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
What about air pressure on 245/40-18 ??

Im running 39/36 or sumtimes 40/36
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM

^^^ Air pressure depends on Tire....I always fill up my tires to ~75-80% of max psi

If tire says max psi as 44...I put in 34psi
If tire says max psi as 51...I put in 36psi

If you put in more air pressure (36 compared to 32) you get better traction/acceleration....and IMO better cornering.....
ABP_04TL (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Thnx swoosh ill check that out later on today... And add proper inflation
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

There's no rule. My NT05s have a 50 or 60psi max rating. Run them more than 35-36psi hot and traction starts going away. That means a 31psi cold inflation pressure. At the track I have to start them around 26-27psi to get the right hot pressure.

I've had some tires that did really well near the max pressure. The only way to know is to try different pressures and either compare track times or measure stopping distances and cornering g-force. You can go by feel as well of course. The size of the tire means nothing. The weight of the car and most of all, the tire construction will determine optimal pressure.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 PM

Yeah the Hankooks did best at 42 psi

Btw IhC visit the ECU feeler thread
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
There's no rule. My NT05s have a 50 or 60psi max rating. Run them more than 35-36psi hot and traction starts going away. That means a 31psi cold inflation pressure. At the track I have to start them around 26-27psi to get the right hot pressure.

I've had some tires that did really well near the max pressure. The only way to know is to try different pressures and either compare track times or measure stopping distances and cornering g-force. You can go by feel as well of course. The size of the tire means nothing. The weight of the car and most of all, the tire construction will determine optimal pressure.
yes its not a rule....i just go by inflating it to 75-80% of the pressure which basically varies from 32-38psi where ever i find the car to perform better

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Yeah the Hankooks did best at 42 psi

Btw IhC visit the ECU feeler thread
I agree....the link is in my sig
Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM
A6 and TL

Bumping from the grave.

Only mod I did was get Neuspeed Lowering Springs, car feels better compared to before. This is not enough though. I am going to be spending major $$$ to upgrade the TL. Want everything done by July. Here is my list.

-Coilovers HT-Spec Version 2.0
-Rear Sway Bar (Comptech) read IHC threads he suggests this as I have 5AT
-New Tires (Hankook V12)
-Brembo Front (Upgrade brakes to the ones vendors here are selling and get aspec pads)

Thats about it.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
That'll make a great difference, just make sure you get the tires first if handling is a priority over looks. I picked up a set of Conti DWs, next is upgrading the RSB.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
OP, the fact that the TL is a FWD doesn't hinder its handling capabilities. What RWD car did you take on the twisties? I drive my girlfriend's is250 all the time and it doesn't come close to the handling on my UA7. I almost lost control trying to take a 360 degree freeway junction at the same speed I usually take on my type-s.

Also, a comparison test between the TL-s, is350 and G37 on Willow Springs Raceway by Best Motoring proved the TL-s to be the car with the most superior handling of the bunch. The TL-s on that comparison actually holds a record at Streets of Willow AND Big Willow.

Maybe you simply need to get used to driving a FWD car. Even with a RWD, you can't enter a corner at 70mph and "floor it" while exiting. All of your accelerations and decelerations should be smooth and gradual; jerky driving only causes you to lose traction (although it might "feel" faster, you're going to be getting worse times at the track with a rough driving style)

I don't know about how the base 07-08 handles, but my type-s handles wonderfully. You do have the least sporty suspension of all the 3G TLs though, so

As everyone has said, Tires, RSB/FSB, stiffer springs + a good damper, lightweight 18" wheels. In that order. Throw some weight reduction in there too. Also, a few driving courses by someone who knows FWD may help more than all of the mods combined haha

I would like a few good driving lessons myself!

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-16-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Bumping from the grave.

I am going to be spending major $$$ to upgrade the TL. Want everything done by July. Here is my list.

-Coilovers HT-Spec Version 2.0
-Rear Sway Bar (Comptech) read IHC threads he suggests this as I have 5AT
-New Tires (Hankook V12)
-Brembo Front (Upgrade brakes to the ones vendors here are selling and get aspec pads)

Thats about it.
you still haven't purchased tires? tires will trump any modifications you have listed here. what kind of tires do you have on there right now?

did you get your wheels aligned after you installed the neuspeeds?

installing coilovers will just add more variables which at this point you don't need.

save your money on the big brake upgrade and just buy some good brake pads (not a-spec) and fluid.

Last edited by JETSPD1477; 04-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
justnspace (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
lol

that is all.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
There's a reason everyone is saying tires a million times lol. A sticky tire is probably the single best upgrade in terms of handling for the car. The factory tires are full of compromise, they're not going to make the best track tires.

There's no point in throwing thousands into your suspension while running crappy tires. In the end, its your tires that are touching the ground. Without good tires, the rest of your suspension wont work at its full potential.

Also, are you running neuspeed springs on stock shocks? If so, I'd put Koni Yellow SP3 Shocks right after getting new tires, running a lowerimg spring on the soft 07-08 shocks isn't going to help you very much in the corners. You need some shocks that can properly dampen the springs to reap the true benefits of a stiffer spring. Not sure how stiff the neuspeeds are though.

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-17-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Making my 3G TL handle better