Lugs starting to rust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lugs starting to rust!!!

Just noticed today that my lugs on my 08 TL-S are showing some surface rust, as well as the factory lock lugs... The lock lugs are showing rust along the pattern ridge and a few of the regular lugs are rusting. Are these lugs similar to the crap that GM put out which were just "caps" over a standard nut? I'm not worried about the wheel locks so much as I do have the 4 standard lugs still in the package that the lock lugs came in. I live in the Chicago suburbs and road salt has been abundant this season. The rust seemed to rub off with my finger, I'm gonna clean them up best I can this spring and use them strictly for winter and buy another set of lugs. My question is, does anyone know of anywhere I can find a set of lugs that may be more resistant to rust? Or am I just stuck with paying 4 bucks a pop for the same crappy rust doomed OEM lugs? Any intel would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
if they wipe off with your finger, it's likely just surface rust then.. Just clean them, wax them and enjoy them.
\
Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I can say with virtually absolute confidence that there are NO M12x1.5 ball seat lug nuts that are more rust resistant than OEM.

OEM's are chrome plated steel. There are no over-caps. Because over-caps are stupid AF.

Questions:
How old is the car?
How many times have the lug nuts been hammered on/off with an impact?

Answers:
Ancient.
A bunch.

right?

Your options would be:
-Buy a set of good used or new OEM Honda genuine lug nuts and locks. Don't use an impact on them if you want them to resist rust for a longer time than yours have. Use a high quality socket with good fitment and be careful with it.

-Buy cheap aftermarket replacements. Buy gangs of them. Throw them out/switch them out when they rust.

-Have custom closed end titanium lugnuts made. Or buy Ti lugnuts with ball seat adapters.

-Buy closed end aluminum lugs with ball seat adapters. Don't do this, though. For real.
The following users liked this post:
Turbonut (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
I can say with virtually absolute confidence that there are NO M12x1.5 ball seat lug nuts that are more rust resistant than OEM.

OEM's are chrome plated steel. There are no over-caps. Because over-caps are stupid AF.

Questions:
How old is the car?
How many times have the lug nuts been hammered on/off with an impact?

Answers:
Ancient.
A bunch.

right?

Your options would be:
-Buy a set of good used or new OEM Honda genuine lug nuts and locks. Don't use an impact on them if you want them to resist rust for a longer time than yours have. Use a high quality socket with good fitment and be careful with it.

-Buy cheap aftermarket replacements. Buy gangs of them. Throw them out/switch them out when they rust.

-Have custom closed end titanium lugnuts made. Or buy Ti lugnuts with ball seat adapters.

-Buy closed end aluminum lugs with ball seat adapters. Don't do this, though. For real.
That certainly answers the questions. OEM way to go.