Looking for DIY for front subframe removal/front sway at swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking for DIY for front subframe removal/front sway at swap

Ok, I searched the garage and the site and I can't seem to find a DIY for a front swaybar swap.

I'm thinking of swapping my base setup with a type S front and rear, but I want to see whether the work of dropping the subframe is worth it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Any help would be great. Can anybody scan and post the pages from the service manual?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
To drop the sub frame you have to disconnect the high pressure line from your power steering pump,disconnect the sensor on the High pressure line, support the steering wheel with a prop so it doesn't move,remove the bolt the connects your steering column to the rack, pop out the lower ball joints and tie rod ends, remove the bolt that connects the struts to the lower control arm, disconnect the power steering hose from the hard line right by passenger side front sub frame mounting bolt,take the nuts of the lower trans mount studs that go threw the subframe,remove the section of exhaust that connects to all 3 cat converters,remove the 4 bolts that go there the sub frame to told the rear motor mount in, remove the vacuum hose from bottom of front motor mount,remove the bolt that connects the front mount to the bracket bolted to the motor, support the engine/tranny with a engine supporter don't use a jack or jack stands to support it because you won't be able to pull the sub frame out and one you made sure everything is disconnected that attaches to the sub frame support the frame with sum jacks and remove the 4 bolts that hold her in and lower her down.....I'm pretty sure I left a few things out but that's the main concept on dropping the whole subframe lol
The following users liked this post:
08WDPTL (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth to get a little flatter cornering and based on your description it sounds like I'd need an engine hoist.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just swap out the bushings with PU ones without dropping the subframe?

Originally Posted by 3RDGENTL757
To drop the sub frame you have to disconnect the high pressure line from your power steering pump,disconnect the sensor on the High pressure line, support the steering wheel with a prop so it doesn't move,remove the bolt the connects your steering column to the rack, pop out the lower ball joints and tie rod ends, remove the bolt that connects the struts to the lower control arm, disconnect the power steering hose from the hard line right by passenger side front sub frame mounting bolt,take the nuts of the lower trans mount studs that go threw the subframe,remove the section of exhaust that connects to all 3 cat converters,remove the 4 bolts that go there the sub frame to told the rear motor mount in, remove the vacuum hose from bottom of front motor mount,remove the bolt that connects the front mount to the bracket bolted to the motor, support the engine/tranny with a engine supporter don't use a jack or jack stands to support it because you won't be able to pull the sub frame out and one you made sure everything is disconnected that attaches to the sub frame support the frame with sum jacks and remove the 4 bolts that hold her in and lower her down.....I'm pretty sure I left a few things out but that's the main concept on dropping the whole subframe lol
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08WDPTL
Thanks for the reply. It looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth to get a little flatter cornering and based on your description it sounds like I'd need an engine hoist.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just swap out the bushings with PU ones without dropping the subframe?
Youll need an engine support beam, not an engine hoist. Your only supporting the engine/trans, not removing them so you don’t need a hoist.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Got caught in another old thread, and this one is a 5 year old thread.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All about the info

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Got caught in another old thread, and this one is a 5 year old thread.
The way I look at it, I’m providing info on the subject matter for all future information searchers.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
A guy online removed his front sub-frame completely and did not disconnect the power steering hoses. Instead, he removed the bolts that mount the rack and pinion to the sub-frame and then suspended the rack and pinion with bungee cords. This also kept him from having to disconnect the steering linkage.