KYB replacement shocks causing ride height issues on Type-S

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYB replacement shocks causing ride height issues on Type-S

Afternoon,
So after riding on coil overs for a long time I decided I just want some shocks and springs. Seems like KYB was the only decent option other than Konis after research so I bought a set .

Part Numbers:

At first one out of the four shocks sent was faulty right off the bat and had to be sent back for a replacement. The shock comes compressed with a safety band around it that when cut , it releases the length of the shock. One of the them did not decompress .
After receiving the replacement shock I installed them along with H tech springs . Making sure to properly toque my multi link suspension in the rear to reduce binding . After dropping the car on the ground I was taken back by the noticeably off ride height. The front was sitting way too low and the rear way to high, I did not gather measurements but will provide a picture. Excuse the dirty car.

FRONT - H TECH SPRINGS / KYB

REAR - H TECH SPRINGS / KYB

I can’t get the side profile of H tech springs on the forum because of file size limits .The car seemed to be sitting at around or higher than stock type s height in the rear, and way too low in the front . I emailed KYB technical support and asked why this could be happening, they proceeded to tell me that I most likely did not install the shock along with the multi link suspension correctly , I explained to them in detail my installation process and how I did torque down my multi link suspension correctly . They stated they’ve have not had reported problems with this part number a long with the application and to take the car to a shop for further inspection, furious and a bit insulted . I started to think a bit . Maybe it was the springs . So I did some more research and found out H&R made a spring set specifically for the Type S . So I ordered the very last set on tire rack for a great deal .
H&R Sport Springs 50106
I threw them on the car, repeating the install process I’ve done approximately 10 times this summer at this point . And was upset yet not surprised when the ride was exactly the same as on the H tech springs. Something is up with these shocks and I don’t know what it is . I went back and forth with KYB tech support providing before and after pics of the spring change on the exact same shocks with no change in ride height . In fact higher than stock in the rear after further research . They have given me the run around and won’t take any responsibility for the problem . So here I am providing my proof of the problem to the community and in search of possible answers . I will provide pics of the car on H&R springs as well as measurements.
measurements done on an even garage floor from floor to fender

FRONT - H&R SPRINGS / KYB

REAR - H&R SPRINGS / KYB

in my opinion even the front sits a little to low from pictures I’ve seen .
here is a picture of a car on H tech springs from an old forum post, the H&Rs are advertised at an even great drop.

My wheel and tire size is different but you can obviously see the difference in ride height .

My spring also seems to sitting weird , I assume because of the height . Yes, it’s in the correct orientation.

So my next proposal would be to swap everything over to stock type S shocks and see if it makes a difference. The problem is I only have front type S shocks and am in the process of sourcing the rears . Yet another problem is… the 15+ year old shocks will most likely blow in a very short time. I already had a set of base model shocks blow on me within one week of install while waiting two months for replacement bc dampers. I’m honestly tired of swapping shocks out at this point . The two upper bolt holes that hold my rear seat had stripped inside the hole from continuous removal .

I could buy some new stock type S shocks … at around $600 for a full set . Or buy Konis for around the same price . But KONI doesn’t make a specific part number for the TLs anymore from my research .
My pockets are not agreeing with it all.

I’m obviously not crazy and these shocks are making the car sit weird , correct?

I’d like to get some pics and measurements of peoples cars on H&R or H tech springs to see if my head is not making all of this up , and KYB is somewhat responsible for all this . Also if anyone has a set of type S shocks in the NY/NJ/CT area , hit me.