KW Variant 1 - Anyone Running these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
KW Variant 1 - Anyone Running these?

I've read a few people here run the KW V1's and would like to get a little more detail in ride quality.

I have a Type-S and would like to know if the KW's are harsher than stock setup. I figure they'll probably be a little stiffer, but from research, apparently that doesn't always equate to a harsher ride quality. In most cases, people running these over their stock semi-perfomance or intro-lux cars all say ride quality is improved.

Originally I wasn't interested in a non-dampening adjustable coil, but after reading around, I may not need it as I don't track the car.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The KW V1s are an excellent coilover. High quality, good ride comfort.

Optimally adjusted, sporty and comfortable dampening technology
Inox-line stainless steel technology at no extra charge
Individually height adjustable
German TUEV-tested lowering range
High-quality components for long life

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...2/i-68423.aspx

However, based on what you're saying the TEIN Super Streets would be a better suit for you. You have adjustable damping and adjustable ride height. If you set the damping at full soft you can get close to the factory ride comfort.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...2/i-35356.aspx

And if you want to order these and the shipping is more than $35 to your zip code PM me your zip code and info and I will make a promo code for you.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Excelerate,

I appreciate your input but I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of the Tein product. I've read that an adjustable dampening coil somehow calls for more maintenance on the coils with a higher probability of them being noisy. This does appear to be similar to most of the reviews here.

While comfort is a top priority, quality and carefree is also a huge concern because I'd rather not have to mess around with the coils once installed. I'm not too worried about performance since any aftermarket coil over $1k will likely fare better than OEM.

Since you're recommended the Teins over KW due to comfort, are you saying the Tein's (on soft) offer a slight comfort degradation to stock Type-S whereas the KW's are moderate to severe comfort degradation?

From what I've read, the common statement is the KW V1's are stiffer than stock. But, this is a subjective to their stock vehicle which may be more or less stiff/firm to begin with than the Type-S.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraElement
Excelerate,

I appreciate your input but I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of the Tein product. I've read that an adjustable dampening coil somehow calls for more maintenance on the coils with a higher probability of them being noisy. This does appear to be similar to most of the reviews here.

While comfort is a top priority, quality and carefree is also a huge concern because I'd rather not have to mess around with the coils once installed. I'm not too worried about performance since any aftermarket coil over $1k will likely fare better than OEM.

Since you're recommended the Teins over KW due to comfort, are you saying the Tein's (on soft) offer a slight comfort degradation to stock Type-S whereas the KW's are moderate to severe comfort degradation?

From what I've read, the common statement is the KW V1's are stiffer than stock. But, this is a subjective to their stock vehicle which may be more or less stiff/firm to begin with than the Type-S.
TEIN's quality is surpassed by no other coilover that I am aware of. The damper typically last 70-90k before even needing a rebuild. And TEIN actually offers a rebuilding service for their dampers, which most companies/manufacturers do not.

TEIN coilovers have a fairly quiet operation and there really isn't much maintenance to them. If you live in an area with a lot of sand and salt you might consider moving the perches up and down once a year and lubricating the threads.

The TEIN Super Streets have the ability to be firmer or softer. Even on the softest setting though, it will not be softer than the factory suspension. It will be about the same as OE ride comfort at the softest setting.
The following users liked this post:
AccordFlex (11-21-2012)