Kumho Ecsta ASX users?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Kumho Ecsta ASX users?

How well do the Kumho Ecsta ASX tires stack up against the PZero and AvonTech, especially in terms of service life? I could care less about having top-notch handling, and I live in a snow-less region, so I only need decent performance under wet/dry conditions.

For those of you who own a set of Kumho Ecsta ASXs, how many miles have you been able to get out of a set? I'm looking for something that could get me 30k+ with light driving and good maintenance.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steer clear of the Avons. I'm replacing mine after 20k miles. Cupping, noise and treadwear after 12k have been horrible. I'm thinking about replacing them with the Kumhos so am interested in seeing what people say on this thread. The reviews of the Kumhos on Tirerack from people that have 30k plus miles have been pretty good, though one reviewer did say they're very noisy.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I have them. They offer very good traction overall and I like them, except for the fact that they flat spot like sumbitches. It gets pretty cool during the night and I have to put up with a shaky steering wheel for a couple of miles. It's not that bad, but it gets annoying day after day.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i liked them and would buy again althought i cannot compair to anything other than the stock el-42.... i havent used them in snow but they do handle good on wet roads and the price is definatly nice
Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

I have the Kumho STP in 19".

What size are you looking to get because the ASX's don't come in all sizes & you might have to get STP's.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the ASXes on an 04 5AT, with about 10k miles on them. They seem to be holding up well. My daily commute averages about 100 miles, round trip. I wouldn't say that they are noisier than the OEMs, but their noise is different--they sing on dry pavement. Pure Adrenaline is right, they will flat spot while you're in the Wal Mart buying groceries, but they smooth out fairly quickly. No snow here yet, but lots of rain. I can detect no difference between wet and dry traction, and so far no stability warnings (unlike the OEMs). So far I would buy again, and you certainly can't beat the price
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Future 07 TLS Team Member

Thumbs up

I have the ASX's on my V6 Accord Coupe. I did a TON of research before selecting them and I'm very happy with my choice. Will probably put them on the TL-S I plan on buying in the spring.

I've had them on my vehicle for 18500 miles (15 months) and I love them. They are going strong with even wear. When I asked at the tire shop on my last rotation (3 days ago) they said it looked like they are on track for lasting around 35K. Now I do religiously rotate them and get an new alignment after each rotation too.

I live in Denver and they do fine in the rain and decent in the snow (although the snow is one of the reasons I kept my Explorer, so I haven't had much snow experience on the Kumhos, only once or twice for a short distance).

In the theme of full disclosure though... I did have a buddy that put them on his Lexus (sorrry, don't know what model, a coupe of some sort) and he said his lasted only 15K and he was way bummed about that.

I think proper rotation (and alignment) makes a difference. I also had mine siped and I recommend doing so if you think you will ever be on ice or much rain. I know there's a debate on whether that's just hype or not, but I think it helps me stop quicker (more rubber to the ground), gives me better traction when it's wet, and I also think my tires last longer than before I was in the practice of having them siped.

Anyway, I'd buy them again in a heart beat (unless a competitor has emerged in the last 15 months that I don't know about yet- I'm sure to do the full gamut of research when buying time comes again, lol).

That's my
Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I have them. They offer very good traction overall and I like them, except for the fact that they flat spot like sumbitches. It gets pretty cool during the night and I have to put up with a shaky steering wheel for a couple of miles. It's not that bad, but it gets annoying day after day.

i experience the shaky steering wheel too, i didnt know it was the tires til now, does get quite annoying at times.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the Kumhos on my RX-7 and the PZero Neros on my TL. Both have been fine. I detect more vibration in the mornings on the Kumhos, but it's not a fair comparison because the RX-7 is driven a lot less than the TL and is also parked outdoors. The grip on both is excellent in the dry; the Pirellis seem a bit better in the rain to me. The Kumhos are substantially cheaper, though (but then, for me the comparison is again unfair since the RX-7 takes 205/60R15s). I'd say the Kumhos are a good deal but would recommend that you be sure to park inside when it's cold so as to avoid the irritating initial vibration for the first mile or two.

Have not had either set long enough to opine on tread life.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the Kumho ASX's as my first set on my 18" Aspec OEM's. I loved them. Not only were they great for handling in dry and snow (per my evaluation) .. they lasted about 30k with appropriate rotation, monitoring of air pressure, etc.

Best bang for the buck. I currently have the Pirelli PZero Neros but will be re-purchasing Kumho ASXs when the time is right.

Never really had the flatspotting that some people complain about w/ the Kumho's.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 AM
10th Gear

Kumho Ecsta ASX users - 245/45/17

After reading numerous posts here and on tirerack I decided to go with the Kumhos. I drove Accord for some years on Michellins and always had hard spots when I left the garage at my job. I then installed Yokos AVIDs and drove on those for a long time until I crashed the car. Same issue with the hard spots. I decided against the Continentals ContiExtremeContact because one member reported the flat spotting, but I think it is not much of an issue with the tires as from the surface you park on and no tire is protected against it. I have hard cement in an underground garage here at work.

Now with the Acura I had OEM Bridges. Nothing special about them. I developed two bulges on the side in the left front tire. Maybe it is from NYC driving, who knows. I went to Sears yesterday and they installed them for me. Maybe I should've ordered them from tirerack and had them installed for $60 at the local tire shop, but I didn't want to wait and get stuck with a blown tire somewhere not near my house. I paid $753 total for the install. %&*$#$# thieves. I tried them on the highway at a legal speed limit and they are quiet and comfortable. On the turns they stick to the road. I make about 40k a year so a teardown report should be available soon. I'll see today it there is the vibration issue in from the parking lot. If so maybe I'll park on the grass

L8r, Kris
Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Just want to add. Why would anyone want o buy tire that cost twice as much if they have lower performance specs.
Ex. If you look at TL '05 OEM tires are Michs & Brigs. Looking at their reviews they suck but cost $180 - $240.
-Buy the Kumhos and you have beautiful reviews and a beautiful price.
What is the deal. Am I missing something.

Rgds, Kris