Koni Yellow + Ground Control Conversion Kit

Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Koni Yellow + Ground Control Conversion Kit

Morning all! Was looking into tweaking my suspension and wanted to reach out for opinions. Currently running Koni Yellow and Eibach Pro kit springs. (Only 1.5" drop roughly) Just 18" wheels - nothing crazy.The ride is smooth and well controlled on good pavement, but really transmits lots of impact on the rough stuff and potholes. At this point I'd like to give the ride a bit more compliance without totally losing all of the handling benefits.
(I know......not easy) Basically looking at two options and wondered if anyone has experience with these products. I could continue to run the Eibach springs but use the higher
perches on the Konis to bring the setup to pretty much stock height and give the suspension more travel. Not sure how the increase in spring preload will affect quality though. Anyone gone this route?

Spoke yesterday with the folks at ground control about their coilover conversion kit. Good conversation and helpful staff. They offer any customized spring rate you would like,
and all of their springs are linear rate (Eibach is progressive) Some have said the linear springs are easier to fine tune as they are more predictable in their operation. Saw a few
posts from a few years back on Ground Control setups, but wondered if anyone has any current experience with them, and if so suggestions on spring rates that worked.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this - really appreciate it! Also thanks much to BroLando for getting me started with great suggestions!
Old 10-31-2018, 06:44 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Interesting.....I’m in for info also.

I have a set of Neuspeed race springs (also progressive) and thought about throwing those on the Koni yellows, and raising the perches, to give more suspension travel, but still retain the drop.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 AM
Intermediate

Assuming if the upper perch is used ride will come up to just about stock height - maybe a smidge less.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I think the upper perch is the "stock" position. That's the correct position to use for stock springs or lowering springs.

The lower perch is for ADDITIONAL lowering.

That's how most koni grooves are cut.

You really shouldn't use the lower perch in that case...unless the spring you're using is extremely stiff.

The extra preload will raise the car up, increase shock stroke, and make the ride softer.

Pro kits should ride like silk.

I think the upper perch is 15mm (0.6") taller than the lower one? So that will raise front ride height by like 1" and rear ride height by close to 0.6".
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

My Konis have three perch positions front and rear. The center position looked to me to be the stock height location when I compared it to the acura damper. Maybe I misjudged it on install. The Koni instructions are basically useless. It would be great if moving to the top perch corrected the harshness issues. I may give that a try before changing. Was just trying to know which way to go to not have to keep going through multiple trials! Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:42 PM
-------Tim-------

^You're correct, for your Koni’s middle perch is stock, then I believe it’s 15-20mm higher or lower, per perch. I have the Koni Yellow SP3’s, which have 5 perches front and rear. Just in smaller increments, 10mm per perch.

I am currently at 2nd to lowest in front, and lowest in rear on H&R sport springs. I don’t know spring rates for these H&R’s. But the Neuspeed Race springs are listed, I just don’t recall them off the top of my head. I’m also on 18’s, but would like the rear to be just slightly lower (1/2”). I think that if I use the race springs, it’ll be stiff enough, to be able to use these similiar perches, but I would raise the front to stock or one higher, just to achieve a similiar drop as to what I have now.

l wish Brolando lived in my area! Would Love to pick his brain/have him assist with setting it up. (Of course I’d help/compensate!)

A good thread with the difference between the Koni Yellow Sports & Neuspeed Koni Yellow SP3’s......

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...up-kit-633086/

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 11-01-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 PM
-------Tim-------

Neuspeed race springs spring rate are 420LB/300LB

I am not trying to hijack your thread OP. Just listing some info, about what I mentioned. Hope any reply’s help others in the future.

Sorry if it came across that way.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Neuspeed race springs spring rate are 420LB/300LB

I am not trying to hijack your thread OP. Just listing some info, about what I mentioned. Hope any reply’s help others in the future.

Sorry if it came across that way.
No problem......all info helps! I think I'll try the upper perches and see where this goes. I'll report back with pix.