Installing new shocks - what other parts are needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing new shocks - what other parts are needed

Hi guys,
As the title stays, I'm replacing the shocks on my 06 TL which has 160k on the factory suspension. I'm not lowering the car so I don't need new springs but curious what bushings, mounts, sleeves and collars would be recommended for replacement as I want to purchase everything online? I looked at a diagram from Acura showing all the separate components and not sure if any are reusable (i.e. dust collar, bumper spring etc) or if EVERYTHING needs to be replaced.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Pretty much all of it should be reusable at 160K. As long as its in good shape. Just look for cracked rubber and make sure the bumpstop isn't degraded/smashed/split.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's much easier to buy the complete shock, and cheap too. For stock anyway. Your not going to save much money buying some of the shock. Buy four replacement shocks and that's it, they bolt right up. Remember some Acuras you have to remove the back seat to change the rear shocks.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Funmonkey
It's much easier to buy the complete shock, and cheap too. For stock anyway. Your not going to save much money buying some of the shock. Buy four replacement shocks and that's it, they bolt right up. Remember some Acuras you have to remove the back seat to change the rear shocks.
I ordered 4 new Koni str.t shocks but I'm assuming they don't come with all the hardware (i.e mounts, dust covers, bump stops) so I'm trying to figure out what other pieces I should order. What other parts typically fail and what parts are usually go for reuse?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my TL which has 180 k miles. I only replaced the shock/struts with DGR adjustable shocks all around and it rides great, better that I was expecting. This cost 959$ but was worth it for me as I wanted a quality ride. They come complete all I did was remove the old shocks and bolted up the new ones then adjusted the height 2.5 inches lower. I didn't change anything else on the suspension. But when you have your tires removed and jacked up you want to check all rubber parts for cracks or looseness.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather1
I ordered 4 new Koni str.t shocks but I'm assuming they don't come with all the hardware (i.e mounts, dust covers, bump stops) so I'm trying to figure out what other pieces I should order. What other parts typically fail and what parts are usually go for reuse?

No they do not come with anything else except for the struts, as far as the other hardware you can reuse your old one or replace with brand new one (like me) which top hat, dust boot and bump stop. But don't take my words for it since someone probably WILL tell you to reuse the old one....