Hurricane Ike and Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Ike and Tire Pressure

Hi guys,

I am in Houston and was right in the middle of the eye when Ike visited us. Just got my power back...

Has anybody noticed anything similar: since the hurricane, my TL warns me about my tire pressure, down to 27-28 PSI for the four tires.

I haven't had a chance to go check that yet, so I am not sure if the tires are actually deflated a bit or if the monitoring system got messed up, but that's crazy stuff. My car was parked inside my garage during the storm..

Anybody with similar experience?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Was your garage flooded? When the car is stationary for a long period of time it will lose psi, just use a regular pressure gauge to solve your mystery.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is most likely from cooler temps outside. The outside temp affects your tire pressure.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jptexas
Hi guys,

I am in Houston and was right in the middle of the eye when Ike visited us. Just got my power back...

Has anybody noticed anything similar: since the hurricane, my TL warns me about my tire pressure, down to 27-28 PSI for the four tires.

I haven't had a chance to go check that yet, so I am not sure if the tires are actually deflated a bit or if the monitoring system got messed up, but that's crazy stuff. My car was parked inside my garage during the storm..

Bingo, I live in Spring area, Exact same thing happened to my TL, and little worst too. TPMS said 26-28 PSI.
So, after 4 days in Garage, I took it out, with so much debris all around, I had a *~^* nail in my rear tire. After noticing it, I immediately took it to NTB and they tried to fix the nail but after 1 hr they said I would need to buy a new tire. As a matter of fact they told me I would need all 4 tires. These are Michelin HX MXM4 which cost both arms and both legs and are hated by most people here.

I am hoping to get Michelin Primacy MXV4 unless anyone says otherwsie.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you dont get much snow in houston right- just downpours and floods?
check out General Exclaim UHP
awesome wet or dry- will make you old tires feel like bananas
super low price- Firestone carries them locally- bring a tirerack.com price or similar and stores will match it- and be there when you need service
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP
their all season high performance altimax is a good tire as well for more snowy areas

about 8k miles on them on my 01 with 18s, still very impressed- never in doubt of what they will do-
lexus owners dont like them, but their car is heavier and ours is perfect~
Just run the pressure up about 38 front 36 rear and the sidewall has no issues
Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM
'08 Type S KBP

Originally Posted by bhelsdon
It is most likely from cooler temps outside. The outside temp affects your tire pressure.
+1....probably the cooler temps are lowering the pressure. I've been in 2 eye's and never had any problems with the car.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
+2 . This happened on my uncle's gs350 in Dallas. After the hurricane, a cold front came through. The system kept saying it had low pressure, but it stopped, then it came on, and stopped.

After a drive, it stopped, so most likely cooler temperatures had an affect on it
Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sagirisk
Bingo, I live in Spring area, Exact same thing happened to my TL, and little worst too. TPMS said 26-28 PSI.
So, after 4 days in Garage, I took it out, with so much debris all around, I had a *~^* nail in my rear tire. After noticing it, I immediately took it to NTB and they tried to fix the nail but after 1 hr they said I would need to buy a new tire. As a matter of fact they told me I would need all 4 tires. These are Michelin HX MXM4 which cost both arms and both legs and are hated by most people here.

I live in the spring area too.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jptexas
Hi guys,

Thats crazy.. I'm in Dallas and I started having that SAME EXACT problem right after Ike. I was just going to get my tires checked this weekend, but couldn't understand why it was happening in the first place??

I guess we know TPMS is working! But man is it annoying!! lol
Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
JRH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sagirisk

The Primacy MXV4 does not come in stock size 235/45/17, you would have to get a non-stock size like 225/45 or 235/55. If you have 18" wheels you could get 245/45/18, but that would be way taller than stock