HTspec damper...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
HTspec damper...

I currently have tein ss on my tl. Ive had them for a little less than a year and my driver side, rear, shock is leaking. At this point I am very turned off with the super streets and am leaning toward getting the Function Form setup that heeltoe developed for the tl. My question is, is any one here running these yet? If so how are they.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
I've had them for about 3 months with no issues and ride quality is great. I think they go way lower than the teins do. I say you should get em
Old 06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Did you go with the setup with the eibach springs?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Got the regular ones.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I have the type 2's with the regular springs on mines for almost a month now. So far it rides nice & I haven't had any issues yet.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
type-1s for over a month and love them!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Im really considering getting these. Im just trying to figure out if the eibach setup is worth the extra 200 bucks or not.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Pro

The only differences between the two springs besides name-brand would be: the spring rates. I'm sure the Eibach springs would be much stiffer compared to the regular springs.

I had Koni yellow shocks with Ground-control coilover sleeves with the Eibach springs on my old car. (02 Accord V6 coupe) & I kinda miss the stiffness lol. But the regular springs rides nicely & I'm dropped pretty low .
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSM4DR
The only differences between the two springs besides name-brand would be: the spring rates. I'm sure the Eibach springs would be much stiffer compared to the regular springs.

I had Koni yellow shocks with Ground-control coilover sleeves with the Eibach springs on my old car. (02 Accord V6 coupe) & I kinda miss the stiffness lol. But the regular springs rides nicely & I'm dropped pretty low .
Do you think they would be a lot stiffer then the regular springs the f2s come with?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RjG2
Do you think they would be a lot stiffer then the regular springs the f2s come with?
Honestly your best bet would be to ask heel toe and see if they could give you the spring rate differences between the two . Or even try and read up on it if you have time.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
why did your tein blow? if it's only been a year it may be cheaper to have it rebuilt, no? tein quality is up there, imo.
heeltoe's stuff is great too though and definitely allows you to go much lower.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Im not sure how it blew out. The streets out here in NYC are pretty crappy but I find it weird that the rear one went out as opposed to the front which takes the worst punishment imo. Im leaning toward the htspecs cuz I know the extensive testing heeltoe has done. Like I said im kind of turned off with the teins.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have had the type 1s for almost 5 months..now...i love these things very comfortable yet still handle well with minimal dive/roll in the twisties
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced

whats the big difference between the HTSPECS and the regular Function Form Type 1's? I can find any comparisons.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

these is no diffrence except for spring rates specifically chosen by htspec for the acura tl...comfortable ride with a dose of performance
Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced

what about the top hats/mount?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they come pre assembled with new top hats and ready to install
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
2006 Acura TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ht specs are the function and form
Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyTL09
they come pre assembled with new top hats and ready to install

still confused, the original F2's dont come assembled? Dont you just screw the pieces together and what not so that should be a problem, I still dont see the difference unless the spring rates are different etc..
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
2006 Acura TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shocks come assembled and ready to install already
Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by robertran88
still confused, the original f2's dont come assembled? Dont you just screw the pieces together and what not so that should be a problem, i still dont see the difference unless the spring rates are different etc..
reading is fundamental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i just explained the damn diffrence
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The differences is this:

The F2 coilovers are designed for the TSX and accord, and require you to reuse the stock top hat from your stock suspension.

HT-Spec's are designed specifically for the TL, both in Spring Rate and in Valving, and come with a TL specific tophat.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
The differences is this:

The F2 coilovers are designed for the TSX and accord, and require you to reuse the stock top hat from your stock suspension.

HT-Spec's are designed specifically for the TL, both in Spring Rate and in Valving, and come with a TL specific tophat.
Right on, I couldn't had said it better .
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I currently have tein ss on my tl. Ive had them for a little less than a year and my driver side, rear, shock is leaking. At this point I am very turned off with the super streets and am leaning toward getting the Function Form setup that heeltoe developed for the tl. My question is, is any one here running these yet? If so how are they.
I have the HT-spec 2 with eibach. I wanted a stiffer ride so that’s why I went with eibach and the damping option to narrow down the ride quality i wanted. The freeway high speeds are exactly what I wanted. I have the on damping high. the down fall is slow driving on bumpy ass roads. I feel and hear every bump. But that’s the price i pay and I’m okay with that.

I have a 5at so of the three TL types I have the smallest sway bars. I feel at high speed turns my coils do more work the sway bars..I left my mud flaps on because it looks lower and I scrape those daily on high speed turns. (plus i have a low drop)....I’m planning to upgrade my FSB and RSB to a 27mm and 24mm. after research I feel the HT-2 w/ eibach and stiffer sway bars my tl will be perfect for me.

With stiffer sway bars I can lower the damping. Wich will solve the issue of my coils doing all the work and the extra rough feeling driving in the city.

I’m a fan of HT-spec 2 w/ eibach. I very happy with the service from healtoe also.
The following users liked this post:
408acura (06-19-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered some type 2s with the regular spring setup. They should be coming in next week. I will keep you posted with results.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Caliwowie good info man, Im currently looking into FSB & RSB upgrades.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 AM
06 ThugLuv

Originally Posted by 408acura
Caliwowie good info man, Im currently looking into FSB & RSB upgrades.
fo sho, im just tryin to keep it real.

So i take it you have a 5at like me then? well i would have liked to done the sway bars first but the stiffer sway bars with stock 5at springs can cause problems..so ur gonna have to do the coils first.

So idk about you but I want the progres 24mm RSB..and the honda genuine 27.2mm FSB...but theres two options for that. The Type-s FSB is solid for $89. but the same diamiter for the 6MT wich is a hallow FSB is $149...Its clear to me that the 6MT FSB is lighter then the Type-s bar. on the Healtoe site they push the hallow one over the soild one..

But is there and advantage to having a soild bar? why would Acura put the heavier bar on the type-S?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Just installed them today. I still have to break them in but so far the ride is great. I like the fact that you dont have to mess with the spring perch. Also I really noticed a difference when adjusting the damper. I stiffened the front about two clicks from the factory setting and I really felt the difference. The only thing I do not like is that I couldnt put the factory strut tower brace back on because it hit the damper adjustment knobs. Did any one else run into this problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
06 ThugLuv

Just installed them today. I still have to break them in but so far the ride is great. I like the fact that you dont have to mess with the spring perch. Also I really noticed a difference when adjusting the damper. I stiffened the front about two clicks from the factory setting and I really felt the difference. The only thing I do not like is that I couldnt put the factory strut tower brace back on because it hit the damper adjustment knobs. Did any one else run into this problem?
duuude i thought the same thing so i drove with out it for 2 days...and i was laying in my bed like "f&*# that" so i grabbed my parts and went out to my car with a flash light and tried it again...idk the first time i tried it i must have been doing somthing wrong...because now i have my HT-2's withtmy strut bar brace installed also...give it another go!

how many clicks are you adjusted to? there 32-33 click totaly i think ..my fronts +20 and my rear is +25.

also im going to cut out two holes in the hat rack in the back so i can easily adjust the rear coils with out removing anything.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
duuude i thought the same thing so i drove with out it for 2 days...and i was laying in my bed like "f&*# that" so i grabbed my parts and went out to my car with a flash light and tried it again...idk the first time i tried it i must have been doing somthing wrong...because now i have my HT-2's withtmy strut bar brace installed also...give it another go!

how many clicks are you adjusted to? there 32-33 click totaly i think ..my fronts +20 and my rear is +25.

also im going to cut out two holes in the hat rack in the back so i can easily adjust the rear coils with out removing anything.
I dont know man, when we tried to put the brace on it was really right on the knob. I didnt want to force it down and damage it. I guess ill try again tomorrow, if not ill make holes in it lol. As for the clicks, im not sure. In the front i did two to the right( stiff) from what ever setting it was at from the factory. In the rear I went two to the left and i think thats full soft. I like how its taking the bumps so far. The springs still need to settle tho.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:34 PM
06 ThugLuv

I dont know man, when we tried to put the brace on it was really right on the knob. I didnt want to force it down and damage it. I guess ill try again tomorrow, if not ill make holes in it lol. As for the clicks, im not sure. In the front i did two to the right( stiff) from what ever setting it was at from the factory. In the rear I went two to the left and i think thats full soft. I like how its taking the bumps so far. The springs still need to settle tho.

Word up..Yeah man try again but drilling a hole will work, shouldn’t have to though...eventually I want this RV6 strut bar that doesn’t block the damping knob.

Man I must be too low because i had them on 15 at first and I felt I was bottoming out...

Do you have a 5at, 6mt, or t-s??
The reason I ask it because the sway bars are all different size..I have the 5at feel they hold me back and the coils want to go faster in turns...i love how I have just a little ass sag when I step on it and little front sag when i brake
Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Word up..Yeah man try again but drilling a hole will work, shouldn’t have to though...eventually I want this RV6 strut bar that doesn’t block the damping knob.

Man I must be too low because i had them on 15 at first and I felt I was bottoming out...

Do you have a 5at, 6mt, or t-s??
The reason I ask it because the sway bars are all different size..I have the 5at feel they hold me back and the coils want to go faster in turns...i love how I have just a little ass sag when I step on it and little front sag when i brake
I have an automatic also. I actually upgraded the rear to the progress 24mm swaybar a while back . The front is still stock but I changed the bushings with energy bushings. Its tricky to find a good setting out here in NY cuz the streets are terrible. You can be on a smooth road and all of a sudden its full of bumps. anyways I didnt get to drive it much today but ill keep messing with it tomorrow. I cant really push it cuz it wont stop raining out here.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
06 ThugLuv

I have an automatic also. I actually upgraded the rear to the progress 24mm swaybar a while back . The front is still stock but I changed the bushings with energy bushings. Its tricky to find a good setting out here in NY cuz the streets are terrible. You can be on a smooth road and all of a sudden its full of bumps. anyways I didnt get to drive it much today but ill keep messing with it tomorrow. I cant really push it cuz it wont stop raining out here.
So you got the 5 speed auto? (idk if theres a 6 speed auto)

If you do, and you have the progress bar in the rear...do you have under steer? like where you turn the wheel a little bit and the car feels like it turns more then it should?

I just got on the XLR8 group buy for the RSB but i was thinking i should hold off on the install untill i get the 27mm FSB...do you thing ur going to upgrade ur FSB?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Instructor

So you got the 5 speed auto? (idk if theres a 6 speed auto)

If you do, and you have the progress bar in the rear...do you have under steer? like where you turn the wheel a little bit and the car feels like it turns more then it should?

I just got on the XLR8 group buy for the RSB but i was thinking i should hold off on the install untill i get the 27mm FSB...do you thing ur going to upgrade ur FSB?
The progress bar has a soft and a stiff setting. I have mine on hard and it feels great. I really feel it when taking turns at higher speeds then normal. I never tried it on soft but I feel that it compliments the front bar well. I wouldnt replace the front bar only because it is pretty thick. if you switch both I think you would be back where you started IMO.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
^it is recommended to change the FSB if you have a base auto.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
06 ThugLuv

The progress bar has a soft and a stiff setting. I have mine on hard and it feels great. I really feel it when taking turns at higher speeds then normal. I never tried it on soft but I feel that it compliments the front bar well. I wouldnt replace the front bar only because it is pretty thick. if you switch both I think you would be back where you started IMO.
hmm so..i got the RSB on order..so i'll just put it on before i get the fsb then.

But yeah if you get the 27mm fsb with your progresse bar itll be the same set up as a tl-s....it's just not as easy as the RSB..
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Yea I would install the rear and play around with it before you decide to change the front bar. Anyways, ive been driving the car more and I gave the front 2 more clicks. It feels like stock now when taking bumps. The only bad thing is that It settled a bit to low. I will have to raise the car a bit because my tires rub a bit and I hit the bump stops from time to time. New York streets suck!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:41 AM
06 ThugLuv

haha yeah man i had to raise it after like 2-3 days...but that sounds like a plan with the rsb..it should be coming in the mail soon...