HPT in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPT in the rain?

I just picked up my 2005 Anthracite/6MT/NAV/HPT and it's great! But will the HPT work well in the rain, I didn't realize HPT tires were only summer tires. Living in CA and wondering if I should get some All-Seasons during the fall/winter, but don't necessarily want to go through the pain of switching tires every six months unless I have to.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Racer

FWIW, I have the HPTs on my 04, and I'm not impressed with them in the rain. I'm putting dedicated snows on in a few weeks, and I'm planning on a set of the all-season Michelins (Pilot A/S) when the snows come off.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Shucks, I kept thinking the HPT tires would be better than the normal tires. Guess all the original tires aren't that great. I'd hate to waste them, maybe I can sell them?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Racer

IMO, no high performance summer only tire will be very good in the rain, they just don't have the ability to channel water away that fast.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by soljc
IMO, no high performance summer only tire will be very good in the rain, they just don't have the ability to channel water away that fast.
agreed.....I've noticed that you can feel the water on the road a lot more...not quite hydroplaning, but definitely close. Funny, because my old Paradas (W-rated summer tireS) on my 18s never felt weak in the rain.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
loves his TL!

here are the TireRack ratings for the Potenza RE030's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

and for the Turanza EL42's

clearly, the HPTs have a bit more wet traction compared to the EL42s.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
loves his TL!

in addition, compare those to the Pirelli P-Zero Nero

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=345WR70NMS
Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

good tire info....thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got Michelin PS-2's to replace my factory HPT's. They are great in the rain, but not designed for snow. Since I'm not planning to drive my TL during the winter snow, I'm not too concerned about their performance in snow, but I wanted tires that are quiet and perform well during the 9 months I do drive the car. I'd highly recommend the PS-2's to anyone wanting a high quality tire for their TL. They are IMHO the best tire for the TL. The first thing I noticed compared to the RE-030's is the ride quality and "feel" of the tire. They really compliment the TL's overall characteristics and seem to be made just for our car.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
here are the TireRack ratings for the Potenza RE030's:

and for the Turanza EL42's

clearly, the HPTs have a bit more wet traction compared to the EL42s.
This is great info, thanks! But what also confuses me is the that EL42's are more expensive, yet Acura charges $200 more for the RE030's? Is that because they got a large buld discount for the EL42's? In any case, still happy I didn't get the EL42's.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JetJock
I just got Michelin PS-2's to replace my factory HPT's. They are great in the rain, but not designed for snow. Since I'm not planning to drive my TL during the winter snow, I'm not too concerned about their performance in snow, but I wanted tires that are quiet and perform well during the 9 months I do drive the car. I'd highly recommend the PS-2's to anyone wanting a high quality tire for their TL. They are IMHO the best tire for the TL. The first thing I noticed compared to the RE-030's is the ride quality and "feel" of the tire. They really compliment the TL's overall characteristics and seem to be made just for our car.
JetJock,

Did you consider the all-season Michelins? While I'm sure the PS-2s offer better handling on dry pavement, I was leaning toward the all-seasons as I think they'll provide better wet traction, and decent dry performance as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:50 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my 6MT with HPTs last December and it was raining in Bay area. I found them acceptable in the rain.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Drifting

JetJock,

Did you consider the all-season Michelins? While I'm sure the PS-2s offer better handling on dry pavement, I was leaning toward the all-seasons as I think they'll provide better wet traction, and decent dry performance as well.
No, I didn't consider the Pilot Sport A/S. I never drive my TL in the snow, and since the PS-2 performs pretty well in rain, I didn't want to put up with the extra noise that you will get with A/S tires. My tire dealer told me the PS-2 were quite a bit quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S. These tires were my first choice, and the more I drive on them, the better I appreciate the tires. If you need A/S tires, I'm sure you will like the Michelin's. Everyone I've talked to who have them have no regrets buying them. Michelin tires are expensive, so check around for the best deal. I found a $200 price difference between dealers on 4 tires....that's worth checking around.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abox
Shucks, I kept thinking the HPT tires would be better than the normal tires. Guess all the original tires aren't that great. I'd hate to waste them, maybe I can sell them?
abox...living in California where it never snows, you don't need A/S tires. They are made for people that need to drive occasionally in snow conditions. Unless you drive up into the mountains, your HPT tires should be just fine. I had them on my car and they were OK in the rain...not the best, but certainly accepable until they wear out. I changed them out only because I ruined one tire and didn't want to drive around with 3 old tires and one new tire. The PS-2's were my choice. I don't drive in the snow, and I would have been happy with the HPT (RE-030) until I wore them out. Keep your tires dude!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Drifting

FWIW, I have the HPTs on my 04, and I'm not impressed with them in the rain. I'm putting dedicated snows on in a few weeks, and I'm planning on a set of the all-season Michelins (Pilot A/S) when the snows come off.
soljc..if you are getting dedicated snow tires, don't get A/S tires for the summer. With snow tires, I think you would like PS-2's better during the summer. They are pretty good in the rain, and much much quieter than the Pilot A/S tire.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Royal Flush

I will let you know how the HPTs handle the NE this winter. I have always felt, in a car with a manual transmission, unless the snow is severe, you can drive just fine, no matter what tires you have (unless of course, they are bald.) The ability to start from a stop in 2nd gear is a great advantage for traction, as well as using the engine to brake as well, along with the gentle use of the brakes to avoid skidding in snowy or icy conditions. I could be 100% wrong, however I feel confident in my driving ability and judgement (i.e. adapting to road and weather conditions, also termed...not driving like a moron in inclimate weather), and hence, feel that replacing the HPTs will not be necessary.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Republican TL
I will let you know how the HPTs handle the NE this winter. I have always felt, in a car with a manual transmission, unless the snow is severe, you can drive just fine, no matter what tires you have (unless of course, they are bald.) The ability to start from a stop in 2nd gear is a great advantage for traction, as well as using the engine to brake as well, along with the gentle use of the brakes to avoid skidding in snowy or icy conditions. I could be 100% wrong, however I feel confident in my driving ability and judgement (i.e. adapting to road and weather conditions, also termed...not driving like a moron in inclimate weather), and hence, feel that replacing the HPTs will not be necessary.
I would never use the HPTs in ANY amount of snow. I bought my car in March 04 and figured I could get through what was left of winter with my HPTs.......bad decision. In only a light snowfall, these tires were absolutely worthless and I nearly sideswiped a parked car at only 10mph. Needless to say, my dedicated snows are going on early this year.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Racer

soljc..if you are getting dedicated snow tires, don't get A/S tires for the summer. With snow tires, I think you would like PS-2's better during the summer. They are pretty good in the rain, and much much quieter than the Pilot A/S tire.
Yeah, I've been debating this and I know the PS-2s make more sense, but I really didn't like the rain traction with the OEM summer tires, which is why I was leaning toward the A/S.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

abox...living in California where it never snows, you don't need A/S tires. They are made for people that need to drive occasionally in snow conditions. Unless you drive up into the mountains, your HPT tires should be just fine. I had them on my car and they were OK in the rain...not the best, but certainly accepable until they wear out. don't drive in the snow, and I would have been happy with the HPT (RE-030) until I wore them out. Keep your tires dude!
Thanks Jetjock! I'm going to cautiously stick with my HPT's and see how it goes this winter. Will force a couple skids to get a feel. I prefer to not go through the hassle of switching to A/S tires during the snow/rain months.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by abox
Thanks Jetjock! I'm going to cautiously stick with my HPT's and see how it goes this winter. Will force a couple skids to get a feel. I prefer to not go through the hassle of switching to A/S tires during the snow/rain months.
does it snow in san jose? cause if it does then ditch the HPT's in the winter. you will regret it if you don't. there is absolutely no traction when used in snow. my last car i was stupid enough to drive with summer tires in the snow and it was like sledding down a hill but worse. at least with a sled you have some control. don't try to save on the money and just shell out for snow tires.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caball88
does it snow in san jose? cause if it does then ditch the HPT's in the winter. you will regret it if you don't. there is absolutely no traction when used in snow. my last car i was stupid enough to drive with summer tires in the snow and it was like sledding down a hill but worse. at least with a sled you have some control. don't try to save on the money and just shell out for snow tires.
Nope, it doesn't snow. Just rain, sometimes heavy rain for a couple days each year. For the days I want to go skiing, I'd just use somebody else's car or maybe Acura approved "tire chains". Hmmm, I've been assuming the cost of swapping tires is fairly high but maybe not? Perhaps I can just do a costco run twice a year.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Cruisin'

Just replaced RE-030s with Falken 512s

My HPT tires had almost 7500 miles. Here in NE Texas we have had temps in the upper 40s a week ago and I was getting flat spots in the morning. Since it snows here at times (and ice storms more often ) I decided to go with the Falken Ziex 512s and I love them. Smoother, quieter, no flat spots.

What convinced me to change also was driving in moderately heavy rain and finding myself hydroplaning

I plan to put the HPTs back on next summer and try to use up the tread, since they do have quite a bit of wear left. I suppose if anyone wanted to buy them I would consider selling. In the meantime I will put each tire in a black plastic bag, suck out the air and try to keep them sealed in my cool garage.

Anyone have any comments about above plan?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wait a second - I thought common understanding (at least mine) was that HPT tires (summer-only tires) are GREAT in the rain because they can channel away water faster than all seasons can (just look at the grooves in the tire) but cannot be used in the snow.

Is this understanding entirely incorrect?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

It was not my experience. I had read the same thing from others posting on this forum, but when I hydroplaned I was surprised.

I knew I would be putting all season tires on during the winter anyway, because we do get ice and snow here at least once or twice every year, but the hydroplaning experience convinced me all the more. When I look at the tread on the Falkens and see the deep channels, they look as if they would be far more effective in channeling water away than on the HPTs.