how to lower TL-s and not mess up stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
how to lower TL-s and not mess up stuff

i'm about to pull the trigger ona TL-S.

i'm settled on WDP with the a spec kit.

*IF* i wanted the ride height to be a tad lower....how do i do it w/outmessing up my warranty or the balance of the car?

i'm NOT going to do coilovers or anytyhing major. i know the typical spring install CAN put too much strress on shocks as theya re not paired/designed to work together.

can you add the aspec suspension? seems like a bummer though to pay extra for the Type S which has stiffer nice suspesnin...i have test driven it and like how it rides, i just want the lower look with no fender gap. not slammed..but lower.

like that guy minks car. his is PERFECT.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
welcome to my world. A-spec susp.should be covered under warranty and is springs and shocks I believe.the downside is everyone says it's not much of a drop and it's stiffer than the stiff but perfect ride(to me and I don't mind bouncy). I am trying to research the comptech spring offered at a steal in the group buy. They should be covered under warranty and the 1 in. makes me feel better than the .5-.75 that the A-spec offers. The only thing is I'm sure they fit but with the type-s what is compromised?,and I don't wanna run into issues with warranty. BTW: I have a WDP with A-spec kit and I FUCKING love it
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
aspec shocks with comptech springs should yield a tad bit of a drop... I have type s shocks with neuspeed springs, rides very aggressively, might not be what you are looking for if you want a tad bit drop, so aspec shocks with comptech springs to remain under warranty is a smart move, but I believe you have to get your dealer to install
Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
tonight my wife says :if you get the TL you cant mod it..."

my last car got "modded" quite heavily....and she no likey...

maybe i could live with the height of the type s stock?

will it look "higher" with the aspec kit? assuming stock suspension...
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ if I'm not mistaking.......it's going to look lower with the kit than without.....it's a lip kit so it should make it appear lower.....correct me if I'm wrong.

Congrats on the car.....when you actually git it....
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the same boat! I want to lower my Type-S just an inch, enough to reduce the wheel well gap, but not compromise anything on my Type-S.

As for the A-spec, or any kind of body kit, I don't care for the look of a body kit if I have wheel well gap. So no matter what body kit you have, if you have wheel well gap, forget about it.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
tonight my wife says :if you get the TL you cant mod it..."

my last car got "modded" quite heavily....and she no likey...

maybe i could live with the height of the type s stock?

will it look "higher" with the aspec kit? assuming stock suspension...
What she dont know wont hurt her.. Do you think she will really notice the difference? Just get it put on right away and say the car came like that lol.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
haahah ^ i like that plan!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
aspec shocks with comptech springs should yield a tad bit of a drop... I have type s shocks with neuspeed springs, rides very aggressively, might not be what you are looking for if you want a tad bit drop, so aspec shocks with comptech springs to remain under warranty is a smart move, but I believe you have to get your dealer to install
Got a link to those Nuespeed springs? (I'll Google them, but a link to your exact part would be nice).

Similar situation.

No A-Spec for me: Not sure where the ride ends up, not enough drop, probably more expensive.

I've been looking at H&R and Eibach. Looked breifly at Comptech, but I don't think they are Type-S specific.

The stock gap on the TL-S is ~2" - 2.25". Eibach and Comptech (iirc) advertise a 1" drop all around. H&R is 1.4" F / 1.3" R.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:11 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

neuspeed sport springs 55.20.56
03+ accord v6
04+ tl tl type s
http://www.customcarscentral.com/neu...d--03-07-.html

here is a link to them on neuspeeds website
http://neuspeed.com/products/product...port&p_id=1748

and while you are there check out the kit they have (you can sell the springs on ebay and use any springs of your choice)
http://neuspeed.com/products/product...port&p_id=1935
Old 12-26-2007, 12:48 AM
AZ Community Team

neuspeed sport springs 55.20.56
03+ accord v6
04+ tl tl type s
http://www.customcarscentral.com/neu...d--03-07-.html

here is a link to them on neuspeeds website
http://neuspeed.com/products/product...port&p_id=1748

and while you are there check out the kit they have (you can sell the springs on ebay and use any springs of your choice)
http://neuspeed.com/products/product...port&p_id=1935

Thanks. Appreciate the effort, but I won't consider them.

No offense to you, but none of those fitment guides identify these parts as specifically suited to a 2007 or 2008 TL Type-S.

That's not saying they don't "fit" or will create any problem. I just think that there are differences (even if they are minor) in Weight, Weight Distibution and, most improtant, Stock Spring Rates that must be accounted for when selecting an upgrade.

If the manufacturer's can't or won't identify a spring *specific* for the TL-S, I am not going to buy it. Both Eibach and H&R have separate part numbers for the TL-S. I think it's because of the stock spring rates and/or weight differences.

IOW - I don't want a Spring that's designed to be "better" than an '06 3.2 TL stock but still comfortable - I've already got that. I want a handling improvement OVER the stock TL-S that's still comfortable.

To the OP's question: Seems to me the way to do it without "messing stuff up" is to do a moderate lowering - no more than 1.5" and maybe just 1". If you push beyond the inch or so, get an upgraded shock at the same time. And either way be prepared to get a camber kit if you can't easily get and keep your alignment in spec.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:31 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe this is the information you need including the A-SPEC kit numbers (ie. 66XX) for each color and transmission type. I have the A-Spec package installed on my 2007 TL-S. However, I used the M/T springs on an A/T car to give the car a more aggressive look. The car handles great! Everything was installed by the dealer before I picked the car up and IS covered under warranty. There is also a pic of how it looks.

TL Type-S: 6-Speed Manual Transmission (P259)
A-SPEC Kits – 2007 T L TYPE-S With Ebony Wheels
White Diamond Pearl ***6642
Kinetic Blue Pearl ***6641
Alabaster Silver Metallic ***6643
Nighthawk Black Pearl ***6644
Moroccan Red Pearl ***6645
Carbon Bronze Pearl ***6646

A-SPEC Kits – 2007 T L TYPE-S With Chrome-Look Wheels
White Diamond Pearl ***6648
Kinetic Blue Pearl ***6647
Alabaster Silver Metallic ***6649
Nighthawk Black Pearl ***6650
Moroccan Red Pearl ***6651
Carbon Bronze Pearl ***6652

Each kit contains:
Sport Suspension 18" Alloy Wheels (EPS-R5)(Ebony/Chrome-Look)
Front Underbody Spoiler A-SPEC Emblem
Rear Underbody Spoiler
Side Underbody Spoiler
NOTE: TL handling packages do not include tires; the recommended tire is the Yokohama AVS ES100, 235/40R18.
A-SPEC 18" EPS-R5 alloy wheels include TPMS sensors for 2007 TL.

TL Type-S: 5-Speed Automatic Transmission – (P259)
A-SPEC Kits – 2007 TL TYPE-S With Ebony Wheels
Kinetic Blue Pearl ***6629
White Diamond Pearl ***6630
Alabaster Silver Metallic ***6631
Nighthawk Black Pearl ***6632
Moroccan Red Pearl ***6633
Carbon Bronze Pearl ***6634

A-SPEC Kits – 2007 TL TYPE-S With Chrome-Look Wheels
Kinetic Blue Pearl ***6635
White Diamond Pearl ***6636
Alabaster Silver Metallic ***6637
Nighthawk Black Pearl ***6638
Moroccan Red Pearl ***6639
Carbon Bronze Pearl ***6640

Each kit contains:
Sport Suspension 18" Alloy Wheels (EPS-R5)(Ebony/Chrome Look)
Front Underbody Spoiler A-SPEC Emblem
Rear Underbody Spoiler
Side Underbody Spoiler
NOTE: TL handling packages do not include tires; the recommended tire is the Yokohama AVS ES100, 235/40R18.
A-SPEC 18" EPS-R5 alloy wheels include TPMS sensors for 2007 TL.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:50 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Thanks. Appreciate the effort, but I won't consider them.

No offense to you, but none of those fitment guides identify these parts as specifically suited to a 2007 or 2008 TL Type-S.

That's not saying they don't "fit" or will create any problem. I just think that there are differences (even if they are minor) in Weight, Weight Distibution and, most improtant, Stock Spring Rates that must be accounted for when selecting an upgrade.

If the manufacturer's can't or won't identify a spring *specific* for the TL-S, I am not going to buy it. Both Eibach and H&R have separate part numbers for the TL-S. I think it's because of the stock spring rates and/or weight differences.

IOW - I don't want a Spring that's designed to be "better" than an '06 3.2 TL stock but still comfortable - I've already got that. I want a handling improvement OVER the stock TL-S that's still comfortable.

To the OP's question: Seems to me the way to do it without "messing stuff up" is to do a moderate lowering - no more than 1.5" and maybe just 1". If you push beyond the inch or so, get an upgraded shock at the same time. And either way be prepared to get a camber kit if you can't easily get and keep your alignment in spec.
Part numbers? very weak personal judgement
did you know aem added the tl-s as fitment on their cai after a bunch of guys installed it (same part numbers)

did you know the comptech springs which are covered under "warranty" by acura dealers is specified for both acura tl and accord v6?

I've been riding on the neuspeed sport springs for over 2k miles
and at least 1 member I know of is running the neuspeed koni yellows with eibach springs

Koni Yellow Part Numbers From the manufacturer - http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.?m...=25&submit.y=8
Left: 8041 1322LSport
Right: 8041 1322RSport
Rear: 8041 1329Sport

Neuspeed's Website - http://neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=53|AC&type=2&ltype=ns_impo rt&p_id=1935
Left: 8041-1322LSP3
Right: 8041-1322RSP3
Rear: 8041-1329SP3

Comptech Springs (And um wats the price difference for lmfao)
or should I say ct-engineering
Accord v6 Part Number - 110-155 - http://www.ct-engineering.com/store/110155av6.html
Acura TL Part Number - 110-155 - http://www.ct-engineering.com/store/110155tl.html

I HOPE THIS TEACHES YOU A REAL SIMPLE LESSON
the j30 (accord v6 3.0 liter motor)
the j32 (acura tl 3.2 liter motor)
the j35 (acura tl type s 3.5 liter motor)
ALL WAY NEARLY THE SAME... I'd say they probably have no more than 25lbs weight difference.... so lets say you had 5 people in an accord on comptech springs, you mean to tell me that something will mess up? as opposed to riding alone with comptech springs in a tl...

REASONING UNFOUNDED
I sound like kennedy now (BUT I AM RIGHT)

ps. I installed the procats on my type s? does e-shift say they fit the type s? nope, did I have problems installing them? yeah cuz its a pain in the ass to install lmfao not cuz they dont fit
Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

The safest way to lower the tl type s without messing anything up meaning without messing up your stock struts IS TO SWAP EM OUT
Koni Yellows from neuspeed or from excelerate with any of the following springs
Comptech (pretty much same as eibach)
Eibach Prokit
Swift Sport Springs
Neuspeed Race or Sport
H&R Race or Sport
Tein H or S Tech
Skunk2 Race Springs
Sprint Performance Springs
Vogtland* Springs
Intrax* Drop Springs
Goldline*
Tanabe* Normal Feeling Springs
(did I leave anyone out)?

OR WITH COILOVERS
Tein ss or basic
Nex* SS or GT
Megan Coilovers
H&R Coilovers
Eibach Coilovers

* Don't know about the quality of those marked with an "*"

STICKY THIS BAD BOY LOL
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Ground controls (accord application)/Koni shocks
Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

progress springs
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Part numbers? very weak personal judgement

ps. I installed the procats on my type s? does e-shift say they fit the type s? nope, did I have problems installing them? yeah cuz its a pain in the ass to install lmfao not cuz they dont fit

Don't take my decision about use for my car personal (sarcasm, jabs at my judgement, etc), I don't mean it that way and I DO appreciate that you went out and posted links for your parts, etc.

I've looked up the fitments for a number of the same items you reference, so, yeah, I knew most of that (I didn't quote your whole post simply to keep length down and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote).

I understand that many AM parts from previous TL and/or Accord models will "fit" - in a physical sense and also in many cases a functional sense.

My thinking here (right or wrong; logical or illogical; well founded or unfounded) is that sometimes "Parts is Parts" and sometimes not. That sometimes the functional fit is maintined as long as the physical fit is maintained (CAI, TB Spacer, Exhaust, etc). But other times, the functional fit is lost or reduced regardless of physical fit (RSB, Springs, Shocks, etc).

With specific regard to springs, some companies don't *identify* the part for use on the TL-S, some do identify a common part and some have a separate TL-S specific part.

For example, Eibach lists the 4044.140 for the '03-'05 Accord and the '04-'08 TL, but the estimated drop on the Accord is 20% - 30% greater (1.3" F v 1.0" F). Why is that? Weight? Weight Dist? Spring Mounting? Eibach screwed up?

OTOH, Eibach lists 4070.140 *specifically* for the '07 - '08 TL-S. Why? Again, Different Rate for equal drop? Changed Rate for equal perf change? Same item, diff number? But which would you buy? I'd buy the one *recommended* for the car I actually drive.

That's part of my "problem". The other, bigger parts is this: I *assume* the Accord 4dr V6 springs are "Soft". I think the progression of "softness" looks something like this:

Accord < TL AT < TL MT < TL A-Spec <=> TL-S AT/MT

So the Accord starts out "Soft"; add the Nuespeed and the Accord becomes "Firm+". For the Accord driver that's probably a BIG difference.

For the TL-S, it starts out at "Firm" or "Firm+", add the Nuespeed Sping and it becomes what? The same, a small difference, a big difference? I don't know. I'm don't know if the Accord and the TL and the TL-S end up in the same place when they use the same part and I am not sure that they *should*.

Would the Eibach Spring for the TL-S (part 4070.140) "fit" an '07 TL? Virtually guaranteed. But would the drop be the same?
Would the performance improvement be more or less or the same?
Would the ride become to harsh or be OK?

So again, I *assume*, that a part number that specifically includes my car in the fitment will get me to a known/expected improvement over and above *TL-S stock* AND maintain certain ride qualities.

I respect that you chose certain parts for your car based on your own criteria for function, performance and fit.

Whether or not my criteria are the same or my basis for selection is the same, I assume you repect that I'll choose the parts for my car to suit my physical and emotional needs. And in the case of these springs that includes, for me, that the spring be a recommeded fitment for the TL-S.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Don't take my decision about use for my car personal (sarcasm, jabs at my judgement, etc), I don't mean it that way and I DO appreciate that you went out and posted links for your parts, etc.
^Sorry about that jab meng honestly

For example, Eibach lists the 4044.140 for the '03-'05 Accord and the '04-'08 TL, but the estimated drop on the Accord is 20% - 30% greater (1.3" F v 1.0" F). Why is that? Weight? Weight Dist? Spring Mounting? Eibach screwed up?

OTOH, Eibach lists 4070.140 *specifically* for the '07 - '08 TL-S. Why? Again, Different Rate for equal drop? Changed Rate for equal perf change? Same item, diff number? But which would you buy? I'd buy the one *recommended* for the car I actually drive.
Did it ever occur to you that they just threw the same springs and gave them a different part number? companies do that alot

That's part of my "problem". The other, bigger parts is this: I *assume* the Accord 4dr V6 springs are "Soft". I think the progression of "softness" looks something like this:

Accord < TL AT < TL MT < TL A-Spec <=> TL-S AT/MT

So the Accord starts out "Soft"; add the Nuespeed and the Accord becomes "Firm+". For the Accord driver that's probably a BIG difference.

For the TL-S, it starts out at "Firm" or "Firm+", add the Nuespeed Sping and it becomes what? The same, a small difference, a big difference? I don't know. I'm don't know if the Accord and the TL and the TL-S end up in the same place when they use the same part and I am not sure that they *should*.
the drops differ because of the STOCK shocks (or struts whichever they are called)

As for the softness you are correct but it has nothing to do with the springs... it has all to do with the shocks as I stated before

Would the Eibach Spring for the TL-S (part 4070.140) "fit" an '07 TL? Virtually guaranteed. But would the drop be the same?
Would the performance improvement be more or less or the same?
Would the ride become to harsh or be OK?
same

And in the case of these springs that includes, for me, that the spring be a recommeded fitment for the TL-S.
I mean this to no offense but sometimes consumers are gulable to the stuff companies put out
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Did it ever occur to you that they just threw the same springs and gave them a different part number? companies do that alot

We do this all the time. Same item, different item #, diferent price.

I do wonder if that's what Eibach and/or H&R did, but don't have any way to know for sure.

For me it'd be easier if the manufacturers and reseller fitment guides were up-to-date AND included more tech info - coil size, length, material; spring rate, etc. I know it's more data that many won't use, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it (like now, lol).

Thanks for all your input - lots of good information.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
DON'T LOWER IT. Leave it alone. IMO. DO what U want. TL-S is fine as is.

ESPECIALLY if its a stick!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i'm about to pull the trigger ona TL-S.

i'm settled on WDP with the a spec kit.

*IF* i wanted the ride height to be a tad lower....how do i do it w/outmessing up my warranty or the balance of the car?

i'm NOT going to do coilovers or anytyhing major. i know the typical spring install CAN put too much strress on shocks as theya re not paired/designed to work together.

can you add the aspec suspension? seems like a bummer though to pay extra for the Type S which has stiffer nice suspesnin...i have test driven it and like how it rides, i just want the lower look with no fender gap. not slammed..but lower.

like that guy minks car. his is PERFECT.

Great thread....I'm in the same boat (the "Search" function is a wonderful thing! )

To the OP....what did you eventually do? I'm currently looking at an A-Spec spring/shock kit but also considering the Eibach Pro Kit and Comptech....I want a slightly lower stance without affecting my ride quality at all....further feedback is appreciated!

Thanks