how to improve steering angle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
how to improve steering angle

Are there any mods out there that can change the steering angle to decrease the turning radius so these cars can actually make a U-turn. On e36 bmw people put up to 5mm max size spacers on the tie rod ends to give the steering rack more room to travel, giving the wheels more angle when steering wheel is at lock, thus reducing the overall turning radius. The toe is adjusted accordingly to how ever many mm the spacer is at the end of the tie rod. Wheel spacers or wheels with wider offset (at least I think wider) are also used so that the increased steering angle doesnt result in rubbing. I am very happy with my stock e36 m3 steering angle but not so much with my 3G TL. Has anyone done anything like this on our TL's??
The TL is my daily so I dont want to risk trying something like this unless someone has already tried it and has tested results. I was thinking of getting spacers soon anyway for looks but if I can make my TL turn sharper with a mod thats as simple as adding metal washers, why not?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I would be more concerned about the CV joints than anything else. How tight of a U-turn are you trying to make? I have never had an issue with U-turns in mine....although I don't have to make them all that often.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
instead of trying to adjust the car, adjust your driving habits?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Lol
Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
J turns.. .J Turns everywhere
Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
The TL has a pretty bad turning radius. But...its FWD, long wide, and has semi small wheel wells. It also shares a lot of chassis geometry with a smaller car.

People also don't experiment a lot with these cars, relative to a lot of other groups. So, unfortunately, you won't find a tried and true solution to this.

Align it properly, and that's about as good as the turning circle will get unless you're willing to pioneer a solution.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
am I really the only person that feels like the TL has the turnind radius of a truck? forget u turns, even parking is a pain in the ass in a narrow parking lot. unless its slanted, parking on the right side of the path is a real pain in the ass. I feel that there is a major flaw in the design because my even my dad's rover makes way sharper turns than my TL
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
am I really the only person that feels like the TL has the turnind radius of a truck? forget u turns, even parking is a pain in the ass in a narrow parking lot. unless its slanted, parking on the right side of the path is a real pain in the ass. I feel that there is a major flaw in the design because my even my dad's rover makes way sharper turns than my TL
Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
The TL has a pretty bad turning radius. But...its FWD, long wide, and has semi small wheel wells. It also shares a lot of chassis geometry with a smaller car.
eh?
Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
Originally Posted by justnspace
instead of trying to adjust the car, adjust your driving habits?
eh?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I know my previous cars seemed to have a smaller turning radius...but they were much smaller cars. I am pretty sure my TL turns as sharply as my wife's Terrain does...they are both similar in size, length, and wheel base. I guess over the years, I just don't even notice it anymore and have adjusted to it.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
I know my previous cars seemed to have a smaller turning radius...but they were much smaller cars. I am pretty sure my TL turns as sharply as my wife's Terrain does...they are both similar in size, length, and wheel base. I guess over the years, I just don't even notice it anymore and have adjusted to it.
Agreed.

My wife's Mazda3 has a tighter turning radius than my TL; do I care? Not a chance.