How important are tires with aftermarket wheels!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How important are tires with aftermarket wheels!!?

I'm buying aftermarket wheels for my 07 type s, and everyone keeps telling me to make sure I get good tires. Problem is, I dont want to spend more on my tires than my actual wheels and I don't know what tires are actually "good" lol...

I'm buying the mrr gt-1 wheels online (for about 1100 for all 4), and figured I'd get the package deal since it includes free mounting/balancing and shipping (if you all think this is a bad idea, please let me know).

The tire options that I have are:
- Achilles ATR Sport (Summer)
- Nexen N3000 (All-Season)
- Falken FK-452 (Summer)
- Toyo Proxes 4 (All-Season)
- Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Summer)
- Hankook Ventus Sport K104 (Summer)
- Nitto NT555 (Summer)
- Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 (All-Season)

I kind of want "all season" tires, but if you have had any experience with any of these tires/know about them - please let me know. I really appreciate any help b/c I dont know the last thing there is to know about tires haha
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i have falken 452's on mine...love them. i've also heard great things about nitto's.

tire quality is one of the most important aspects of your vehicle...don't go cheap on them. get something decent to protect your pricey wheels.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
usually, any tire made in korea is considered a "cheap" tire that wont perform well.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
i have falken 452's on mine...love them. i've also heard great things about nitto's.

tire quality is one of the most important aspects of your vehicle...don't go cheap on them. get something decent to protect your pricey wheels.
..at the end of the day when you are spending money on your car it is not wise to try and be cheap because at the end of the day ......you will end up spending more..........ask anybody .............
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Oh okay, thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the Falken FK-452 for now.. Any other recommendations or tires I should avoid?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AK23
Oh okay, thanks guys! I'm leaning towards the Falken FK-452 for now.. Any other recommendations or tires I should avoid?
well in my opinion i find that the nexen's are the basic tire that anytime you get a wheel tire combo they try to throw in which means they are inexpensive...so i wouldnt get them ......that's just my take on it,my opinion some may say different .....i believe anything fro your car you have to get what goes with your usage...............i currently have toyo's ,.......not the proxe's but the extensa hp's i havent had any issue's yet ..........but good luck
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
6th Gear

Tire Choice

When it comes to tires, you get what you pay for. If you want to buy cheap tires you can expect that you won't be happy with them for very long. Out of the choices you gave I would choose the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105. Stay away from "summer" tires if you plan on doing daily driving all year around. Summer tires usually are noisy, wear out quickly and don't do as well in the rain or snow. I recently purchased a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS (all-season) tires and they are excellent no doubt. I paid a little more and got a great tire that will last for years. You are driving a TL Type S, doesn't it make sense to get the best tire you can?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are those the only tire options? or the only ones in your price range?

The tires you want depend on how hard you drive your car and the terrain your driving in. Summer tires may not be cost effective depending on where your living unless these wheels are just your summer set.

I agree with Toro...if you can/want, get C.E.C. DWS.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Summer)- This is an amazing set! This set is really geared for performance. But if you're leaning towards all-season, then...

I would go with these:
Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 (All-Season)- Also a really good set of tires. Quiet, handle good, and good wear.

EDIT: Forgot to mention; stay away from the Nexen 3000 tires. I had them and those tires are trash. Yes they are cheap but like everyone is saying, you get what you pay for!

Last edited by renedcruz; 04-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont go cheap i did this and regreted it once i put them on the car
Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SavKyle
Are those the only tire options? or the only ones in your price range?

The tires you want depend on how hard you drive your car and the terrain your driving in. Summer tires may not be cost effective depending on where your living unless these wheels are just your summer set.

I agree with Toro...if you can/want, get C.E.C. DWS.

those are most of the options the gave me, but the ones in my price range. The one you guys are recommended isnt an option they give..

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking these are just going to be tires I use until mid fall or so.. so it would be nice to save some money and get summer tires.. but i also dont want to go cheap with tires because you all are right..
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dinks07
Dont go cheap i did this and regreted it once i put them on the car
If you dont mind me asking, what tires did you end up going with?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've had the toyo proxy 4's. decent tire. grippy in corners, great in rain, ok in light snow. not a bad choice depending on where you live. treadlife is ok. i got about 25K out of them.

stay away from good years. i know they aren't on your list, but i had the eagle gt's and they were great for the first 2K miles...after that, they got loud, and the treadwear was horrendous. i got about 9K miles out of them in less than a year. great initially for handling and rain, not great in light snow...treadwear SUCKS. i heard the F1 A/S get loud with time as well.

my current tire, conti DWS. quiet, handles well in rain and light snow, dry roads were good, though as some have said in reviews a little soft on hard turns. it is an A/S tire though. i sacrificed a little dry handling for an all around great tire for all conditions.

if you live in a snow free state, then you could go summer tires. for those of us in snow regions, its either A/S or two different sets of wheels and tires.

go check tirerack for reviews. you can narrow the reviews to car brands and types of driving. you can look at their in house reviews for tires and then consumer reviews.

hope this helps. good luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Racer

Definitely don't cheap out on tires. I am never looking back at cheap all-season tires ever again. Since I am in Canada, now its two different setups (one for the winter and one for the summer). Balances out that way. But depending on where you live, if you absolutely need all-season tires, then get the best ones "Continental Extreme DWS", mad cheap at $149 a piece. Prices depend on the tire size.

For All-season tires, these surveys should help you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a set of nexens last year where terrible
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Cruisin'

I also have 07 Type-S. I run Michelin Xice on my stock type-s wheels because we get a lot of snow in my state. great snow tires. just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport for some new 19 RDX wheels that are coming....I'm paying a lot more for the tires than I am for the wheels....but I got a great deal on the wheels