How does a RSB effect a cars handling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does a RSB effect a cars handling?

I'm really not a fan of how my 05 TL handles turns. I'm not willing to go the spring and shock route because my wife complained how rough the ride was in my old car. Will a RSB like Progress help? What setting do you have it on? Also, is $145 shipped a good price?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
heeltoeauto.com i think is the best place to get them, i think. there's a coupon for AZ members. the RSB will give your car some oversteer from what i have read. also i've heard that the nuespring supercup kit rides almost as smooth as stock. make sure you check out the thread on that.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by twopu
I'm really not a fan of how my 05 TL handles turns. I'm not willing to go the spring and shock route because my wife complained how rough the ride was in my old car. Will a RSB like Progress help? What setting do you have it on? Also, is $145 shipped a good price?
It will reduce body roll. It will take some or all of the understeer out meaning instead of the front tires breaking free first in a hard corner, the rear will slide out.

It's a balancing act between front stiffness and rear stiffness for overall balance of the car. With the Progress rear bar on mine in the soft setting, the tail will slide at the limit. Others have reported the car is neutral. The difference you should be aware of is the base 5AT cars like mine come with a hollow 25mm front bar. The base 6mt cars come with a 27mm hollow bar. The TL-S comes with a 27mm solid front bar. Once member with a TL-S reports the Progress bar gives him neutral handling which makes sense since he has the stiffest front bar offered by Acura. Keep in mind, going from a 17mm to a 24mm increases the spring rate by over 400%.

It basically goes:

Base 5AT 25mm hollow front 17mm rear
Base 6mt 27mm hollow front 20mm rear??
TL-S 27mm solid front 20mm rear

If you have a manual, you *might* try the bar in the firm setting but likely the soft setting will give you the best handling at the expense of a little more roll.

I just ordered the H&R solid 28mm front bar to balance my car out and because it rolls just a little too much for my tastes but I don't want to compromise ride quality anymore.

If you have the money, you could order the TL-S front swaybar for only $62 to compliment the Progress bar. Then you could also run the Progress on the firm setting to take more advantage of it.

So for the second part of your question, my car actually rode better with the Progress bar installed. Hitting uneven bumps in the road and going up driveways at an angle is much less annoying now. The initial bump is just a little harder but all you get is one small bump and it's over where before the bar you hit a bump or driveway and the car rocks. There's much less motion and drama going over bumps so even though it's harder, it feels like it rides better.

I would love to take a stock suspension TL, retaining all of the factory travel and install the H&R 28mm front and Progress 24mm rear. I think this would offer a great handling increase with little to no impact on ride quality. And best of all no one would know it's not stock.

Keep in mind, there are disadvantages to doing only swaybars but they're a great compromise for a daily driver.

Sorry for the novel but all I've been doing lately is researching front swaybars and just made the front swaybar purchase yesterday.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It will reduce body roll. It will take some or all of the understeer out meaning instead of the front tires breaking free first in a hard corner, the rear will slide out.

It's a balancing act between front stiffness and rear stiffness for overall balance of the car. With the Progress rear bar on mine in the soft setting, the tail will slide at the limit. Others have reported the car is neutral. The difference you should be aware of is the base 5AT cars like mine come with a hollow 25mm front bar. The base 6mt cars come with a 27mm hollow bar. The TL-S comes with a 27mm solid front bar. Once member with a TL-S reports the Progress bar gives him neutral handling which makes sense since he has the stiffest front bar offered by Acura. Keep in mind, going from a 17mm to a 24mm increases the spring rate by over 400%.

It basically goes:

If you have a manual, you *might* try the bar in the firm setting but likely the soft setting will give you the best handling at the expense of a little more roll.

I just ordered the H&R solid 28mm front bar to balance my car out and because it rolls just a little too much for my tastes but I don't want to compromise ride quality anymore.

If you have the money, you could order the TL-S front swaybar for only $62 to compliment the Progress bar. Then you could also run the Progress on the firm setting to take more advantage of it.

So for the second part of your question, my car actually rode better with the Progress bar installed. Hitting uneven bumps in the road and going up driveways at an angle is much less annoying now. The initial bump is just a little harder but all you get is one small bump and it's over where before the bar you hit a bump or driveway and the car rocks. There's much less motion and drama going over bumps so even though it's harder, it feels like it rides better.

I would love to take a stock suspension TL, retaining all of the factory travel and install the H&R 28mm front and Progress 24mm rear. I think this would offer a great handling increase with little to no impact on ride quality. And best of all no one would know it's not stock.

Keep in mind, there are disadvantages to doing only swaybars but they're a great compromise for a daily driver.

Sorry for the novel but all I've been doing lately is researching front swaybars and just made the front swaybar purchase yesterday.
nice write up man.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

One mistake, 17mm to 24mm is a 297% increase.

One thing I realized is with a solid 24 in the rear and a hollow 25 in the front, this is the first setup I've ever seen with a stiffer rear bar. No wonder it's tail happy.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Team Owner

Just noticed why the TL-S with it's stiffer front bar uses the same rear bar as the manual TL. The rear spring rates are higher in the TL-S so there's the extra rear stiffness to match the larger front bar.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Instructor

. Keep in mind, going from a 17mm to a 24mm increases the spring rate by over 400%.
what do you mean by increasing the spring rate?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 3zero3kid
the stiffer rsb basically 'joins' the left rear spring with the right, so travel is shared by both springs.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
the stiffer rsb basically 'joins' the left rear spring with the right, so travel is shared by both springs.
If the rear wheels hit a bump at the same time there will be no reduction in ride quality, so the spring rates can't be increased.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3zero3kid
The swaybar is a spring.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

how many settings do you have for the progress rsb and what do they do? i'm interested in getting one this summer as a final project.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Shyne

I think what everyone is saying is....GET ONE. Honestly, hands down one of the best mods for the TL.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a 6MT with a Progress RSB and it is a night a day difference from the stock RSB. My car is not tail happy at all and there is nearly ZERO body roll. Well worth the $150.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
how many settings do you have for the progress rsb and what do they do? i'm interested in getting one this summer as a final project.
Two holes which would mean 3 adjustments.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the help!!! Sorry still a little confused will the ride be any stiffer? Also, where is everyone getting there's from?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the help!!! Sorry still a little confused will the ride be any stiffer? Also, where is everyone getting there's from?

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/
Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Instructor

thanks do we get a discount
Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 AM

There is discount code floating around here somewhere. Just search for threads started by mr heeltoe.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Start changing the RSB and be prepared if you don't add support to the subframe:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/fubared-need-some-help-rear-sway-bar-689881/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/rear-sub-frame-broken-688749/
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
That subframe breakage has happened only on a few rare occasions. If the customer has upgraded suspension at all it should be fine. We have mapped out a reinforcement kit but even we feel it is not a specifically urgent issue to address.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
That subframe breakage has happened only on a few rare occasions. If the customer has upgraded suspension at all it should be fine. We have mapped out a reinforcement kit but even we feel it is not a specifically urgent issue to address.
But some are installing the rear bar with a stock suspension. Sorry, but if one were to rip apart, it is one too many. Other models are experiencing the same problem.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbonut
But some are installing the rear bar with a stock suspension. Sorry, but if one were to rip apart, it is one too many. Other models are experiencing the same problem.

Agreed. This is why mine is on the soft setting...among other reasons. Just taking a step back and thinking about it for a second, a 24mm solid rear bar is really big, especially in relation to a 25mm hollow front bar. I've never seen a car with more bar in the rear before.

This is part of the reason I decided to go ahead with the H&R 28mm solid front bar. It should balance it out nicely. It should also take some of the stress off of the rear bar when cornering but going over uneven bumps and driveways will still be the same. I would buy the reinforcement kit if there was one.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Most cars in this performance category either have rwd or more balanced weight distribution. It's been common for a long time to put disproportionately large rear bars on toi neutralize handling. Why Honda won't make RWD sports sedan is way beyond me!

If you are on a road course I can see needing the front bar to be bigger as you have done, but most of us are not doing high speed cornering.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Now I'm second guessing this. I have NO intentions of upgrading my shocks the RSB was the only suspension upgrade I planned on making. How concerned should I be with the RSB on a daily driver? How much is the reinforcement kit?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Cruisin'

Look just get the H&R front(28mm solid) and rear (22mm solid) sway bars and trust me when you turn you will see the difference your car will actually pull you into the turn
YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 PM
RAR
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading Front Sway

I have the base 2007 TL 5AT which has the 27.2 mm hollow bar in the front and I upgraded the rear with the Comptech 22 mm sway bar.

Should I upgrade the front with the TL-S 27 mm solid bar vs. the H&R solid 28 mm bar since I have the Comptech RSB (22 mm) and not the Progress bar (24 mm)?

Can I purchase just the A-Spec springs? Sounds like the A-Spec springs with Koni's is a pretty good set-up.

It basically goes:

Old 06-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Now I'm second guessing this. I have NO intentions of upgrading my shocks the RSB was the only suspension upgrade I planned on making. How concerned should I be with the RSB on a daily driver? How much is the reinforcement kit?

You won't regret buying the Progress bar. If you're doing no other mods, set it in the soft setting and you'll love the difference. Most of the guys who were breaking stuff had the bar in the firm position.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Will this change how tight the steering wheel feels? I noticed my steering wheel got tighter after my wheel and suspension upgrade. And seeing that this is also suspension related (sort of) will it tighten the steering wheel a little more?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Will this change how tight the steering wheel feels? I noticed my steering wheel got tighter after my wheel and suspension upgrade. And seeing that this is also suspension related (sort of) will it tighten the steering wheel a little more?
Any time you change the balance more toward oversteer (which the RSB will) whether it's less understeer or actual oversteer, the steering will feel more responsive.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Which holes are for the soft setting and which are for the firm setting? If my TL is lowered with a RSB should it be on firm or soft and what is the difference?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by deygotbigga
Look just get the H&R front(28mm solid) and rear (22mm solid) sway bars and trust me when you turn you will see the difference your car will actually pull you into the turn
YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what setting do you have both on?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kyle26
Which holes are for the soft setting and which are for the firm setting? If my TL is lowered with a RSB should it be on firm or soft and what is the difference?
The holes closer to the end, the softer the setting. It gives the arm more leverage on the bar.

Ride height makes no difference on the bar setting. You need to balance the handling. Stiffer will put you more toward oversteer. You need to find out how the car handles first to decide which setting to use. Firm will make the car feel like it handles better but it is possible it will handle worse if it's already prone to oversteer.

It's pretty safe to say that if you have the 04-06 auto, you will want the soft setting due to the small hollow factory front bar.

If you have a TL-S with the large solid front bar, either setting will do.

If you have a manual 04-08, soft will likely work best but it's a toss up.

Aftermarket suspensions may alter whether the balance as will 150lbs of subs and audio equipment in the back.

If you ask most for an opinion they will say firm because "it takes on ramps faster" or "it corners flat" or "it corners like it's on rails". 99% of the people asked will give you opinions but not facts. These are the people that have never taken the car to the limit so they associate less bodyroll to equal better handling. My car with the stock auto front swaybar and the Progress bar in the soft setting will slide tail out around hard corners. Going to the firm setting would only make it handle worse. When I get the large solid 28mm bar in, I have a feeling I'll end up going to the firm setting on the Progress bar to balance it out but only time will tell.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced

The holes closer to the end, the softer the setting. It gives the arm more leverage on the bar.

Ride height makes no difference on the bar setting. You need to balance the handling. Stiffer will put you more toward oversteer. You need to find out how the car handles first to decide which setting to use. Firm will make the car feel like it handles better but it is possible it will handle worse if it's already prone to oversteer.

It's pretty safe to say that if you have the 04-06 auto, you will want the soft setting due to the small hollow factory front bar.

If you have a TL-S with the large solid front bar, either setting will do.

If you have a manual 04-08, soft will likely work best but it's a toss up.

Aftermarket suspensions may alter whether the balance as will 150lbs of subs and audio equipment in the back.

If you ask most for an opinion they will say firm because "it takes on ramps faster" or "it corners flat" or "it corners like it's on rails". 99% of the people asked will give you opinions but not facts. These are the people that have never taken the car to the limit so they associate less bodyroll to equal better handling. My car with the stock auto front swaybar and the Progress bar in the soft setting will slide tail out around hard corners. Going to the firm setting would only make it handle worse. When I get the large solid 28mm bar in, I have a feeling I'll end up going to the firm setting on the Progress bar to balance it out but only time will tell.
Thanks for the advice. My car is auto and I have had it set to the firm setting but I think I am going to change to soft and see how it goes.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the advice. My car is auto and I have had it set to the firm setting but I think I am going to change to soft and see how it goes.
I would take it out to a deserted parking lot or some area where you can drive it hard without hitting anyone or anything. See which end of the car breaks free first. Keep in mind you need a little reserve for a real life situation where you may have to go left, right, left, right quickly and no matter how good of a driver you are, you don't want the tail coming around too much in that scenario trying to avoid something.

I think you'll find that lifting off the gas mid corner around a hard corner will cause the tail to come out. Steady state will also likely cause the tail to come out. I prefer to have it to where the car is nearly neutral in steady state cornering but will let the tail out a little on lift throttle. Right now taking off from a redlight in a left turn lane, if I pin the throttle to the floor it will slightly understeer but if I let off the throttle 3/4 of the way around the turn, the tail will come out pretty far. Far enough that if I didn't add any steering correction, it would spin.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced

I would take it out to a deserted parking lot or some area where you can drive it hard without hitting anyone or anything. See which end of the car breaks free first. Keep in mind you need a little reserve for a real life situation where you may have to go left, right, left, right quickly and no matter how good of a driver you are, you don't want the tail coming around too much in that scenario trying to avoid something.

I think you'll find that lifting off the gas mid corner around a hard corner will cause the tail to come out. Steady state will also likely cause the tail to come out. I prefer to have it to where the car is nearly neutral in steady state cornering but will let the tail out a little on lift throttle. Right now taking off from a redlight in a left turn lane, if I pin the throttle to the floor it will slightly understeer but if I let off the throttle 3/4 of the way around the turn, the tail will come out pretty far. Far enough that if I didn't add any steering correction, it would spin.
I took my car out the other day and took a very sharp turn at 60 mph and I had so much understeer that the car stayed in a straight line, is this because of my crap stock tires or should I change my RSB to the soft setting. I have an 05 auto with the Neuspeed supercup kit with sport springs? Ever since then I don't have the confidence in my car I once did before. Should I change to the soft setting, will it handle better or what do you think?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

I took my car out the other day and took a very sharp turn at 60 mph and I had so much understeer that the car stayed in a straight line, is this because of my crap stock tires or should I change my RSB to the soft setting. I have an 05 auto with the Neuspeed supercup kit with sport springs? Ever since then I don't have the confidence in my car I once did before. Should I change to the soft setting, will it handle better or what do you think?

Softer will make it worse. This isn't saying much for the Neuspeed kit but it follows why I think a-spec springs are the best for real performance since they are balanced.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Softer will make it worse. This isn't saying much for the Neuspeed kit but it follows why I think a-spec springs are the best for real performance since they are balanced.
I didn't mean soften the shocks I ment the RSB from firm to soft, is that what you were referring to and what do you mean the A spec springs are balanced? I supercup kit rides like stock which I like.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you could stand to soften the front shocks a little. That might help. It's easy to get those Konis too stiff.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

I didn't mean soften the shocks I ment the RSB from firm to soft, is that what you were referring to and what do you mean the A spec springs are balanced? I supercup kit rides like stock which I like.
He was referring to the RSB. You want that firmer if you are understeering.

Generally you can expect that if it is too stiff it will slide.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Sounds like you could stand to soften the front shocks a little. That might help. It's easy to get those Konis too stiff.
Do the Koni shocks handle better when softer, I thought it was the other way around? I only have them turned 3/4ths from soft in the front and half from soft in the back. Before I had all of them at one full turn but I felt every bump.

Quick Reply: How does a RSB effect a cars handling?