HELP! My front left tire are cracked, can it claim warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! My front left tire are cracked, can it claim warranty?

2004 blk TL, my tire are cracked all the way around on the front left tire about 1/4 inch deep. I have put about 24000miles on the car. First, I call Thomas Acura (So. Cal) they told me to find an authorized Bridgestone service center. So I went there and they want to charge me 126 plus labor per tire. ( i request to change 2 tires ) i go ahead and change the tire (since i need it to be fixed for work) however, isnt this cover by warranty !!??? can i get reimburse from bridgestone? The car was not involve in any kind of accidant and it has been parked in garages 70% of the times. Please help me, any way I can get the money back ?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the crack is a result of a manufacturing defect, then it should be "adjusted" under warranty. However that does not mean no charge, that means prorated for wear / mileage. With 24k on the car, you are probably looking at 50%, assuming the tread is evenly worn.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you keep the old tires? It seems like the tire store just wanted to sell you new tires, not help you with a warranty issue. Without the tires for proof of defects I don't see you having much leverage. Are the other two tires in the same condition? If they are don't let a tire shop keep them. File a complaint with NHTSA if the same problem occurs with the other two tires. I guess they sold you more of those crappy Bridgestone tires. There are several manufactures that make superior tires but my favorites would be the Michelin Pilots.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say good luck getting anything unless it is a manufacturer's defect. If those are ELs they have like a 200 rating for treadwear which means you are probably out of luck since warranty wording goes something like this...

If a covered tire wears evenly across the tread down to the tread wear indicators (2/32nds of an inch of tread remaining) during the stated warranted mileage for that tire, as evidenced by the vehicle’s odometer, or within 5 years from the date of retail purchase (proof of purchase required), whichever comes first, for any reason other than those described under “What This Limited Warranty Does Not Cover” section of this manual, such tire will be replaced with an equivalent new tire, upon payment of the replacement price as defined in the “Replacement Price” section below under mileage warranty.

That said... I know a Michelin pilot exalto A/S tire has a tread wear of 400 and comes with a 45,000 mile warranty. My EL42s have a 200 tread wear rating so I can expect it to wear out twice as fast or about 22,500 miles. So, I would have gotten rid of all the tires on the car and gotten what I wanted since you will probably have to replace them again at 50K.