HELP! KYB....What a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! KYB....What a joke!

Hello Acurazine!

This weekend I’m planning on finally lowering my 2007 AcuraTL on KYB GR-2/ H&R Sports.

Bare with me on this rant I’m about to unleash. If I cansave at least one person from the headache of how incredibly awful KBY is as awhole, I will be able to finally sleep at night.

1.KYB parts are incredibly hard to find. Shops don’tcarry KYB parts. The shops will put and order into KYB that will take about aweek for KYB to ship and another 3 to 5 days for the shop to ship it. KYB doesnot ship directly.

2.The worst customer service I have ever had to dealwith. The GR-2 originally came in silver but KYB is trying to rule out thesilver the black version. I was one of the “lucky ones” to receive the silverrear and black front. (Both are the same just different colors) When I calledKYB to try and get matching all around they told me “they’re both the same, youcan just paint the”. WOW! Really?

So my . If you are havinga hard time deciding what shock to go with forget about KYB immediately! By thetime you have everything you need from KYB you could have had some nice Koni’s…..Lessonlearned !

-Now for the problem.

I just dropped way too much moneyon rush delivery to get the KYB boots hear in time for the weekend. SB107 andSB108.

Sb107 is the rear strut bellow forthe TL. When I put the bellow on the strut the nub on the strut itself preventsit from going low enough to fit all of the washers much less the Tophat. Am I missingsomething? The KYB instructions suck and online searches have been ZERO help.

Sorry for the harsh write up butthe Acura community must be notified .
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
ok.......
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there some trick or something I have to cut/shave to make everything fit?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have used KYB for years, on many different cars, and have never had any problems with them. I have them (silver all 4 corners) on my 05 TL now paired with Tein S-Tech springs. The ride is great ad install was normal. The reason for the 2 different colors is that the silver models with the name GR-2 were sold solely for vehicles in the United States and Canada while the black Excel-G models were sold for vehicles in other countries. KYB is moving toward one name and one color and in the future all will be black and labeled with the Excel-G name. Hence why its harder to get silver ones since they are phasing them out.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
x2 on worst customer service ever. so much so, that i will never purchase another piece of kyb product ever again. even though i do enjoy their products quite a bit.

ive used kyb stuff for 10+ years, but when the agx's on my civic blew, i began the process of trying to get them warrantied. I had a copy of my original receipt from the shop that did the install (no longer in business) and was asked to send a copy to them. I was told i would be contacted within the next few days. i was, but was treated like i was lying and trying to pull a fast one on them. i was then told they would review the claim and be back in touch with me within a few days. a week later i called and left the (the rep for the NW) guy a message inquiring about the status of my claim. waited a week with no responce, called again left message, waited 2 weeks, called again, no responce. keep in mind, i was never a dick at all. that gets you no where. I simply asked for an update and to please call me asap. i left a message every 2 weeks for 3 months and never received ANY callbacks. ever.

I finally went to our local Big O which is a official dist for KYB and told him my situation. he was in good with the local dist for thier products and said he would look into it. he was told that i wasnt returning calls and that they requested the struts to take a look at them, but i refused to send them in (wtf? really?). i had other strut setups and pulled the kybs off my car and he sent them in. 3 months later they sent him another set. not once was i contacted after that second call. my guy at big o was amazed at the hassle, as was i. needless to say, they lost my business.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
to the OP, are you sure you are installing them right? I am having a hard time seeing why you cant fit them when a lot of ppl are/have run them on TL's