Help with decision on coilovers please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with decision on coilovers please!!!

Hi all,
I don't do much posting since I'd rather read up on other peoples post but this time I suppose I need to get something clear. I have and 06 NBP TL and I have my rims arriving in about a week and a half. So I was reading up on coilovers and which people preffer most and their why's. I've spent the last 3 days trying to do research on which is better for my car. What I'm trying to decide on is between the Eibach pro or the Ksport Kontrol pro kits. But still would like to know more on what people on here are running and the their ride comforts. Which would you folks recommend I get? My wheel sizes (arriving soon) Front - 19x8.5 ET35 Rear - 19x9.5 ET41. Haven't yet decided on tire brand but will go with the 235/35/19 fronts and 245/35/19 rears. Right now I think I've read way too much and just confused the hell out of myself. I've read some bad reports of the ksports from other forums and along with with the tein ss but not much was said about the eibach. I've read some of you are running the tein ss coils. Please let me know what some of you experienced. I'd rather stay away from the "I thinks" and know more on your experience on the which would be a better choice. Pricing is about the same depending on the places you buy online so that is not much of a factor. I know alignment and maybe camber kits is a must after install. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
What are your goals for a suspension?

Ride height adjustment? Damping adjustment? Ride comfort? Maximum drop?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
What are your goals for a suspension?

Ride height adjustment? Damping adjustment? Ride comfort? Maximum drop?
Exactly, without knowing those we cant recommended a suspension to suite your needs as well as budget.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I was looking to drop my ride just enough so that it does not look like 4x4 when I throw on the rims not sure yet exactly how much that drop will be. I was looking at adjustability just in case i need to go lower or higher. Ride comfort is a must. I don't want to break my back everytime I hit bumps. Some reason this freakin state (Hawaii) they like to repave the roads up just so they can dig them right up and patch it all around for God knows what so that roads aren't perfect. I still want the smooth ride that it has as stock with just a bit more stiff but not trying to break backs like I said. I don't want to drop it to the ground really. I would love to but I was reading up on the healtoe and camber efffects and along with the tire wear mayhem that will cause due to various alignment issues. Basicly I'd like the best all around setup. Thanks

Edit: Budget would be around the price ranges of the coilovers mentioned above (Eibach Coilovers - Pro Street S 4044.711 2004 - 2008 ACURA TL or Ksport CAC100-KP Ksport Kontrol Pro kit) which ranges from 800 - 1200 depending on the websites i've seen.

Last edited by PowerCommander; 08-16-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PowerCommander
I was looking to drop my ride just enough so that it does not look like 4x4 when I throw on the rims not sure yet exactly how much that drop will be. I was looking at adjustability just in case i need to go lower or higher. Ride comfort is a must. I don't want to break my back everytime I hit bumps. Some reason this freakin state (Hawaii) they like to repave the roads up just so they can dig them right up and patch it all around for God knows what so that roads aren't perfect. I still want the smooth ride that it has as stock with just a bit more stiff but not trying to break backs like I said. I don't want to drop it to the ground really. I would love to but I was reading up on the healtoe and camber efffects and along with the tire wear mayhem that will cause due to various alignment issues. Basicly I'd like the best all around setup. Thanks

Edit: Budget would be around the price ranges of the coilovers mentioned above (Eibach Coilovers - Pro Street S 4044.711 2004 - 2008 ACURA TL or Ksport CAC100-KP Ksport Kontrol Pro kit) which ranges from 800 - 1200 depending on the websites i've seen.

Based on your description you want the TEIN SS; it has ride height adjustment and damping adjustment. It is the best daily driver setup on the market; at full soft you can maintain ride comfort (very similar to OE).

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...2/i-35356.aspx
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Based on your description you want the TEIN SS; it has ride height adjustment and damping adjustment. It is the best daily driver setup on the market; at full soft you can maintain ride comfort (very similar to OE).

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...2/i-35356.aspx
I will look into it futher then. I did this brand initially since i've read on reviews and various forum post that tien has corrosion issues. Some have mentioned it rusted on them fairly quickly vs the other coilovers mentioned. Also some have claimed that the damper has failed on them and this was not one post i'm talking about several. Wish I saved the links for it. Did not really hear much about the eibach pros being bad. Again these are just from what I read. Most on this forum seem to have teins. I am still deciding. Initially Tein ss were my first choice when I started thinking about getting coilovers but of course with that much money i'll dig for info first. So that's what i'm doing.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I will look into it futher then. I did this brand initially since i've read on reviews and various forum post that tien has corrosion issues. Some have mentioned it rusted on them fairly quickly vs the other coilovers mentioned. Also some have claimed that the damper has failed on them and this was not one post i'm talking about several. Wish I saved the links for it. Did not really hear much about the eibach pros being bad. Again these are just from what I read. Most on this forum seem to have teins. I am still deciding. Initially Tein ss were my first choice when I started thinking about getting coilovers but of course with that much money i'll dig for info first. So that's what i'm doing.
I find that the TEIN suspension outlast most others. I haven't had any corrosion issues.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Excelerate-this may be a stupid question, but can the Tein SS coils be adjusted while you're in motion? Everyone, no flaming please......
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run H&R coilovers and veh drives better than stock. I love the ride.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbocivic94
I run H&R coilovers and veh drives better than stock. I love the ride.
what are the drop range for these and also can you adjust the dampers?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Excelerate-this may be a stupid question, but can the Tein SS coils be adjusted while you're in motion? Everyone, no flaming please......
Only if you have the EDFC, Electronic Damping Force Controller, installed, then they can be controlled from the cabin.

Thought I would add:
http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
You can adjust the damping while in motion if you have the EDFC, the ride height no.

what are the drop range for these and also can you adjust the dampers?
The TEIN coilovers are about 1-2.5 inches; the H&R's are about the same.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Still haven't made a decision on what coilovers I want. I was already leaning towards the Eibach pros then swayed a little to look back at the tein ss but after reviewing various reviews I find that the more I dive into reading up on it there are so much more people that don't like the tein as a brand period. One example http://my.is/forums/f89/tein-ss-review-300413/ So no it's still back to ksport or eibach and it seems I might have to sacrifice damper adjustability since both the eibach pros and ksport aren't able to adjust the damper just the height. JIC was put into my plans also but seeing as how JIC don't make coilovers for our TL that is out of the option box. Man descisions decisions...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Still haven't made a decision on what coilovers I want. I was already leaning towards the Eibach pros then swayed a little to look back at the tein ss but after reviewing various reviews I find that the more I dive into reading up on it there are so much more people that don't like the tein as a brand period. One example http://my.is/forums/f89/tein-ss-review-300413/ So no it's still back to ksport or eibach and it seems I might have to sacrifice damper adjustability since both the eibach pros and ksport aren't able to adjust the damper just the height. JIC was put into my plans also but seeing as how JIC don't make coilovers for our TL that is out of the option box. Man descisions decisions...
TEIN makes some of the best coilovers period. Their quality and R&D is of the highest calibre.

And K Sports do offer ride height and damping adjustment but they are track inspired so be prepared for a firmer ride.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some great info in this thread since I was thinking about suspension as well. I was leaning towards the A-Spec but the draw back for me is the ride height. I want a comfortable ride but at a lower ride height then what the A-Spec offer.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
ht spec's....
Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced

curious to know what the OP decided? I'm in the exact same boat...want to add a small drop, but dont want it slammed...like the idea of the a-spec suspension, but when I look at pics it just doesnt lower it enough to warrant spending the money, at least for what I think I want...I want a good 1 inch to 1.25 inch and I absolutely dont what the front to sit higher than the rear....I also want to maintain a quality ride as this is a daily driver...springs on the OEM shocks? New shocks w/ new springs? coilovers? which brands? etc...so much to think about...