Has anyone tried the new General G-Max AS-03 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried the new General G-Max AS-03 yet?

Just got an 08 TL with a set of worn out OEM EL42's on it. What a sucky tire. This car has only 19k miles and they are worn out and won't balance.

Had just about settled on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS...then I found this tire.

The General Altimax HP is the best tire I ever had on my Mercedes. Loved that tire.

One thing: It only shows available in the 245/45/17 and not in the 235/45/17. It has a 95W rating.

I found it on tirerack.com. No survey results yet and just 3-4 reviews (all very good).

Great price, too.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Just googled it. Motor Trend, Road and Track, all giving it superb reviews. Here is another: http://www.drivingthenation.com/?p=3165

I'm going to hold off on the DWS until I see some survey results and tests by tirerack.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

i got mines mounted today, so far pretty good.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Got mine on and am happy with them so far. Good tire for the money.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Good to hear, thanks guys. Give us an update on your impressions of the tire after a week.

-- corner stability and traction?
-- highway quiet?
-- balance?

Tirerack has a 6-8 week backorder on my size.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kawika
Got mine on and am happy with them so far. Good tire for the money.
Update?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

I was pretty much ready to get the Conti ExtremeContact DWS on my car this week but the more I ready about this tire from General I'm having a hard time deciding.

Here are a couple more reviews, one very recent.

http://www.tirereview.com/article/86..._offering.aspx

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle..._03/index.html

Honestly, in all I have read about them I have not heard one single negative.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I'm considering these.

I have the DWS and they are very loud for my taste. Not sure if it is just the 3 different thread pattern on them not working well with my car or what. Most people here really like the DWS. I love the traction but hate the comfort of them.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'm considering these.

I have the DWS and they are very loud for my taste. Not sure if it is just the 3 different thread pattern on them not working well with my car or what. Most people here really like the DWS. I love the traction but hate the comfort of them.
Hmm. Mine are very quiet. Maybe all I have to compare them to are the OEM Bridgestones. What did you have before?

And, by the way, those earlier on in the thread that said the DWS wouldn't hold tire shine -- they must have fixed that because mine hold it very well.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Bump...

Any updates from the owners who have purchased these? After about ~35k on my current Exclaim UHPs (and I can probably stretch another 5-7k out before replacement is necessary), I am in the market for a new set shoes for the car. The UHPs wore well with my car dropped on S-tech springs sans a camber kit. I was disheartened to see that this particular model was discontinued by General, but discovered that the G-MAX AS-03 was the direct replacement and has been on the market since this past summer. The price is a little higher than the Exclaims (I'm guessing due to inflation and oil prices?), but it appears to be the same quality of tire.

The DWS has a higher treadwear number, but I have read that tire noise can be an issue on some cars. I think that the AS-03 might be a good alternative as I have yet to see any complaints about noise, premature wear, or handling on dry or wet pavement.

Just fishing for some opinions from those who went this route over the DWS. Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I just bought these and will be installing them this week. I couldnt find many reviews on this tire, but they looked like they could handle any type of weather I threw at them. Since it is becoming winter up here in the Chicago area, I will be able to run them through dry, wet and snow conditions over the next month.

I originally wanted to get the Altimax HP, I have them on my wifes Pacifica and they handle great on her damn near 3 ton vehicle, but tire rack was low on their stock of that tire and everyone else wanted a ridiculous amount. So I settled on the G-Max.

The tread pattern on the G-Max lookes better in person than it does in photos. It is much deeper than I originally thought. So it looks like it will be able to handle the snow decently.

Like I said though I will be writing a complete review on this tire.
The following users liked this post:
Red Voodoo (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerman826
I just bought these and will be installing them this week. I couldnt find many reviews on this tire, but they looked like they could handle any type of weather I threw at them. Since it is becoming winter up here in the Chicago area, I will be able to run them through dry, wet and snow conditions over the next month.

I originally wanted to get the Altimax HP, I have them on my wifes Pacifica and they handle great on her damn near 3 ton vehicle, but tire rack was low on their stock of that tire and everyone else wanted a ridiculous amount. So I settled on the G-Max.

The tread pattern on the G-Max lookes better in person than it does in photos. It is much deeper than I originally thought. So it looks like it will be able to handle the snow decently.

I'm curious. I thought that the pattern would make it a decent winter tire for light to medium snow. I also didn't think they made the Altimax HP in our speed rating.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

The tread looks identical to the Exclaims and I have these in a 235/19/35 and I'll tell you .. I wouldn't run them in the snow, I had to for about 5 miles .. not fun.. tread depth has no real bearing on snow performance .. its rubber compound and siping that makes a snow tire work.

The rubber in these and most A/S just get way too hard under 40F.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Jokerman

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'm curious. I thought that the pattern would make it a decent winter tire for light to medium snow. I also didn't think they made the Altimax HP in our speed rating.
You are correct, but in the winter, I seriously doubt that i will ever be hitting over 100mph, let alone the 130 the Altimax HP is rated at

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
The tread looks identical to the Exclaims and I have these in a 235/19/35 and I'll tell you .. I wouldn't run them in the snow, I had to for about 5 miles .. not fun.. tread depth has no real bearing on snow performance .. its rubber compound and siping that makes a snow tire work.

The rubber in these and most A/S just get way too hard under 40F.
I understand what you are saying. They should do decent in the snow, especially compared to my summer wheel set and all season Sumitomos. Of course we are not talking about a foot, maybe a few inches on the ground. I did not want to go for the complete winter tire since this will be my last winter that has snow. (will be moving back south). The tread design is deep and wide open which should allow the tire to get traction a little easier and hopefully allow for the snow to be able to release from the tire. I had troubles last year on my Sumitomos where the snow wouldn't release from the tire and essentially made the tire a slick where I couldnt get any traction. These tires havent been around long enough to get a good decent review in the snow. So i guess i will give it the test.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
You are correct, but in the winter, I seriously doubt that i will ever be hitting over 100mph, let alone the 130 the Altimax HP is rated at

I understand what you are saying. They should do decent in the snow, especially compared to my summer wheel set and all season Sumitomos. Of course we are not talking about a foot, maybe a few inches on the ground. I did not want to go for the complete winter tire since this will be my last winter that has snow. (will be moving back south). The tread design is deep and wide open which should allow the tire to get traction a little easier and hopefully allow for the snow to be able to release from the tire. I had troubles last year on my Sumitomos where the snow wouldn't release from the tire and essentially made the tire a slick where I couldnt get any traction. These tires havent been around long enough to get a good decent review in the snow. So i guess i will give it the test.
Trouble is as with the Sumotomos they won't release the snow and an inch or a foot .. makes no difference ... but let us know how you make out ..
Old 12-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts

any update on the tires so far? i just spend a few hours researching them and they look pretty good. i won't be driving these in snow but wanted to get your general opinion on the tires (like comfort, noise, and cornering). what size did you get? i'm looking into these in 245/45 since the Continental DWS's are nowhere to be found for 3-4 months in this size
Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

posted this in the continental dws thread but thought the reviews/info would be helpful linked to this thread as well:

"in my search for an alternative for the DWS 245/45 (3 month back order), just did a few hours research on the general g-max as-03 and the kumho ecsta 4x...both don't have survey ratings on tirerack but i searched forums and driving magazines for info.

right now i'm leaning towards the general g-max in the 245/45 combo, looks like it handles great in wet weather and may have a stiffer sidewall than the DWS's due to interlocking treads

kumho ecsta 4x doesn't have many reviews from driving magazines, which tipped me towards g-max

has anyone heard of someone running the g-max tires??

general g-max review:
http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle..._03/index.html

youtube info:

tirerack initial tests:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=151

one more review:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...re-g-max-as-03 "
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Jokerman

I am running the g-max tires right now, have been on the car since friday. For me, they handle well on the dry road. I dont know if its me, but i think i might be feeling more bumps with these tan my sumitomo summers. I think its me because it was cold and i know that the summer tires would be stiffer than the all seasons. I cant wait until it snows again so i can test it out again.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Jokerman

I have now been running on them in the rain and on dry roads. I dont know if is is just me, but i fell like these stick to the ground extremely well. I had summer sports on before and i feel as thoguh these are stickier. I havent been able to break them free on dry road yet. In the rain, they do very well. I went through a few puddles (not on purpose) and at first i was scared that i would hydroplain a little. To my surprise, i did not and just kept on driving. I am now just waiting on the snow.
The following 2 users liked this post by jokerman826:
Mista (03-19-2012), sockr1 (01-01-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Pro

Jokerman any updates on the GMax's?

Looks like for me also that my tire choices are down to the DWS and the AS-03.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

I decided to go with the kumho ecsta 4x afte reading some more reviews on tirerack and I love them. Had them on for a week now and very happy getting them in 245/45. But either general or kumho will be a great quality choice at a decent price. Kumho also has a 50 dollar rebate until the end of the month
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Jokerman

The g-maxes are great. I am holding back on the snow covered roads as of right now, because of my accident last year. they seem to have a goos amount of grip even on the snow. I am not getting any pulling from them like a lot of people have gotten with the Conti DWS. My theory is because these are directional tires. and the tread design is somewhat symetrical. On the wet roads they are excelent. I went through a large puddle by accident and did not feel any hydroplaning. I have less than 1000 miles on them but no problems so far.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm running these on my accord 6speed 3.5 and I love them, don't let the price turn u away .. These tires coming from its parent company continental they have great rubber quality , and let me tell u these tires GRIP .. These aren't Michelin super sports but these tires being all seasons too they do very well in the rain , ive really tested them in all road conditions

In the dry I've made turns so fast in my accord that the back end was breaking out and I caught myself sliding slightly with my stability control trying to straighten everything out but again i have taken these tires to there limit because I like to kno where the edge is and they do a fantastic job

In the rain there very good but I don't like to fully push them because the couple times I did stability control had to kick on and straighten me out and I wasn't going really pushing them but despite that there very good in the rain just u need to realize its the rain so conditions are different

In the snow storm we had last week we got 5inches and I drove the tires at730am before anything got plowed or saw salt and obviously most of us will be driving with caution because it's snow but once I had open space I played a little stupid with them and regardless when they slide out stability kicks in but I came home and went to my job saying holy shit I love these tires ..

Overall I've had them for about 2500miles and I'm in NJ so we see all road conditions plus pot holes and shitty paved streets and for the money u can't beat this there great for all year they really do exceed my expectations
Mista (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In the Market for new tires and this thread has pushed me to try the G Max for sure
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Last night I was with a few friends hanging out , in a big parking lot , Evos , SIs bikes etc , I decided to spin my around the lot, turned traction off and I power slided my coupe , thru it in turns etc ... My generals with traction off still gripped with traction off high rpms and me behind the wheel

I was so impressedcwith how the tires gripped being thrown into power slides and turns and spinning .. I honestly love them
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
looking at these as well but the negative I hear is soft sidewalls.. I am the type that goes in an out of lanes quickly.. not all the time but enough that I want a tire that can handle it...

does anyone feel the tires are soft when pushing into corners or changing lanes quickly? .. straighaway I heard is fantastic but I get too many tickets going fast on a straightaway
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
looking at these as well but the negative I hear is soft sidewalls.. I am the type that goes in an out of lanes quickly.. not all the time but enough that I want a tire that can handle it...

does anyone feel the tires are soft when pushing into corners or changing lanes quickly? .. straighaway I heard is fantastic but I get too many tickets going fast on a straightaway
i hear these tires are great, but after lots of research i decided to go with kumho ecsta 4x tires...they have a stronger sidewall but are still cost effective. tirerack did a review between general, kumho, and some other brand. both tires are great from the user reviews, general is better in wet conditions, kumho in dry according to the tests

i love my kumhos so far (about 3 months)

Last edited by sockr1; 03-19-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: forgot one sentence
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
I just finished reading through this thread and it has me weighing my options now as I was set on the Continental DW (not S).

Are these tires pretty quiet?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat my Michelin Primacy's are about done in the rear. Seriously considering the G-MAX AS-03's can someone chime in about road noise?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set of general G-Max I will have to get back to you on the exact model. But I have had them for about 1k miles and I enjoy them.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
^^DC, what driving style would you consider yourself? aggressive? or moderately aggressive?

i have read really good things about the tires but the only question mark is the side-to-side movement.. how does it feel changing lanes at high speeds or taking turns say about 20mph to 30mph over the turn limit?

also what about road noise?

and thanks for posting!! need some new tires and reviews on here are great
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
FRESHINNOVATION NBP TL-S

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
will be purchasing these tires soon for my new wheels. after reading all the reviews im pretty sold on them. ill keep you guys posted.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
TireRack gave these a good review. 2nd place in its category of value oriented A/S. These will probably be my next set of tires when my V12s wear out.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
BUMP

anyone still running these?

I'm considering these along with Continental extreme contact DW and DWS, although I already have a set of Blizzaks on the TLS.

Looking at 225/35-19 on 19x8.5 +32
Old 01-31-2015, 01:39 AM
Cruisin'

I have the Generals on two cars, with no complaints. Been driving my '97 Prelude in the snow recently, and they work pretty well. On both cars they show decent wear, good ride, low noise (though increases at end of tire wear), and the price is great.
My TL came with DWS….will have a choice to make, when the time comes.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Racer

Thanks Flip 2

I think I'm going the way of DW - read a lot of reviews of the AS-03 becoming very loud after a couple thousand miles which I do not care for as I do a lot of highway driving

can anyone else chime in on road noise for the AS-03?
Old 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
^^ true for me. I am not sure if it had to do with me buying separate pairs, but they were loud the minute i rode after the install. Initially, when i had a pair upfront, they weren't as loud or i didn't notice the road noise. the minute i got the second pair, it became apparent. i rotated and had wheel alignments, same noise.
mattpete (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CBP08TL
^^ true for me. I am not sure if it had to do with me buying separate pairs, but they were loud the minute i rode after the install. Initially, when i had a pair upfront, they weren't as loud or i didn't notice the road noise. the minute i got the second pair, it became apparent. i rotated and had wheel alignments, same noise.
thanks mate - I'm going to get Michelin Pilot SS anyway! now I'm thirsty for spring

Where in New England are you?
I travel to Metro Boston quite frequently - Wellesley, Framingham, Burlington, Concord.... etc.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Just to add to comments on my experience with the Generals. I have them on a '97 Prelude (2nd set) and an '83 Firebird (with LS1- '00 Corvette wheels). Both are not noisy. The last set on the Prelude had some noise for the last 8000 miles (got 34-40K on them- I think). Before I went to Generals on the Prelude, I've had many kinds of tires on the car. They would mostly melt away quickly and would get noisy after 8-10K miles.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattpete
thanks mate - I'm going to get Michelin Pilot SS anyway! now I'm thirsty for spring

Where in New England are you?
I travel to Metro Boston quite frequently - Wellesley, Framingham, Burlington, Concord.... etc.
LOL I am NE as in North East. I am actually in NY.

As for the tires, i am running on 245-45-17. Maybe the deviation from stock size is playing a part, i don't know

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the new General G-Max AS-03 yet?