H&R Swaybars

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
H&R Swaybars

Anybody have them. If so, some comments on their effectiveness etc. Also how long does it take to install the front bar.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Very high quality stuff. Bushings are better than anyone else's.

The bars seem to be stiffer than their size would indicate. My front one is on soft with the rear 24mm Progress on stiff and I had to stiffen up the rear springs to get the understeer out. I would highly suggest buying the H&Rs as a set to get the handling balance you want.

I have a-spec springs, Koni shocks, and an H&R front with a Progress rear and bodyroll is almost non-existant yet it rides about like a stock TL on 20s. A little harsher but not too bad.

A word of advice, you probably don't want a bar this stiff with stock springs as it would be asking to break rear swaybar mounts and it would take some of the independence out of the independent suspension. A-specs would be the minimum spring I would run with these bars.

The front bar took me from 6PM after work to nearly midnight but I was working in the dark on my back with the car on a jack. Put it up in the air on a lift with good light and if you're good you could likely do it in an hour. However, since the subframe has to be lowered a front end alignment is mandatory afterwards.

The high speed stability will improve by leaps and bounds. The car feels nice around slower corners and the steering is very precise but you will really notice it on hard corning at near triple digit speeds. Dont' forget you need more damping to control the motion of the bars if you want to do it right so a set of Konis is not a bad idea. They won't hurt your stock shocks but you won't get the maximum benefit without better damping since the swaybar is a spring and you're increasing the springrate at each corner sometimes as much as 200%.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
One hour to install the front swaybar? That's good news. My mechanic said the book says 3 hours,

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Very high quality stuff. Bushings are better than anyone else's.

The bars seem to be stiffer than their size would indicate. My front one is on soft with the rear 24mm Progress on stiff and I had to stiffen up the rear springs to get the understeer out. I would highly suggest buying the H&Rs as a set to get the handling balance you want.

I have a-spec springs, Koni shocks, and an H&R front with a Progress rear and bodyroll is almost non-existant yet it rides about like a stock TL on 20s. A little harsher but not too bad.

A word of advice, you probably don't want a bar this stiff with stock springs as it would be asking to break rear swaybar mounts and it would take some of the independence out of the independent suspension. A-specs would be the minimum spring I would run with these bars.

The front bar took me from 6PM after work to nearly midnight but I was working in the dark on my back with the car on a jack. Put it up in the air on a lift with good light and if you're good you could likely do it in an hour. However, since the subframe has to be lowered a front end alignment is mandatory afterwards.

The high speed stability will improve by leaps and bounds. The car feels nice around slower corners and the steering is very precise but you will really notice it on hard corning at near triple digit speeds. Dont' forget you need more damping to control the motion of the bars if you want to do it right so a set of Konis is not a bad idea. They won't hurt your stock shocks but you won't get the maximum benefit without better damping since the swaybar is a spring and you're increasing the springrate at each corner sometimes as much as 200%.