H&R coils, new top hats still need a spring compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
H&R coils, new top hats still need a spring compressor

I was under the impression i could skip the whole spring compressor, but i guess i was wrong..unless i'm missing something. I even rented a spring compressor and wrenched on it and still not enough clearance to mount top hat and nut.

I imagine i'm not mounting the spring compressor correctly? Seems i can't fit it any higher because of the closeness of the top coil and too low will cause trouble mounting.

The rears were easy enough, but the fronts are a real PITA. I just never remember anyone mentioning a spring compressor was needed to mount new top hats.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Make sure the shock is fully extended.

The compressor should be able to compress the spring enough to easily install the top hats.

If you're not doing so already, it would be easier to mount the compressor on the lower coils, not the upper coils.

Make sure the coil is oriented the correct way. If it doesn't sit in the perch right, you could lose 1/2" right there and if you managed to get it on, the car would sit wrong.

I'm still not 100% sure of your problem. Can you give a little more detail?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Put an impact on the spring compressor, saves you a lot of time and an arm-ache I went through this when installing my Teins, just play with it a little OP, you'll get it!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Make sure the shock is fully extended.

The compressor should be able to compress the spring enough to easily install the top hats.

If you're not doing so already, it would be easier to mount the compressor on the lower coils, not the upper coils.

Make sure the coil is oriented the correct way. If it doesn't sit in the perch right, you could lose 1/2" right there and if you managed to get it on, the car would sit wrong.

I'm still not 100% sure of your problem. Can you give a little more detail?
Yeah the shock is fully extended i don't see how it could be pushed in with no weight on it.

I'll go in the garage and compress em again, see if its any different this time.

Originally Posted by AMUA6
Put an impact on the spring compressor, saves you a lot of time and an arm-ache I went through this when installing my Teins, just play with it a little OP, you'll get it!
yeah god i wish i had one, if i don't get it i might just bring it to a shop to install the top hats. This is my first time using a spring compressor and already i don't like using it.

Well i thought i wasn't doing something right, glad to hear others have had to use a spring compressor to get top hats on.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Are your spring compressors maxed out and the spring still isn't compressed enough? I know I was limited to wear I could put the compressors on my Teins, it was a wee bit tricky. A little trial and error

Get them compressed enough to where you can get the top hat on and a few rounds turned with the nut, then you're golden.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Keep trying it, and you'll get it. As mentioned, air tools would help you greatly. So would having some help. It's easier with 2 people.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Make sure the spring seats aren't up too far also...just saying.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
every shock I have installed always comes with a plastic strap on it that holds it down in a compressed state. Then when I cut it, the rod comes out of the housing and it extends from internal pressure. Your shock looks like it either has no pressure or its made to only have 1 inch of movement.. And I know it has got to have more than 1" of movement. That shock looks messed up. It looks 2 or 3" from the top of the shock housing. no way will that thing work right!! I say inspect the shock for damage or get a new shock. What kind of shocks are those?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
every shock I have installed always comes with a plastic strap on it that holds it down in a compressed state. Then when I cut it, the rod comes out of the housing and it extends from internal pressure. Your shock looks like it either has no pressure or its made to only have 1 inch of movement.. And I know it has got to have more than 1" of movement. That shock looks messed up. It looks 2 or 3" from the top of the shock housing. no way will that thing work right!! I say inspect the shock for damage or get a new shock. What kind of shocks are those?
Where do you see that??

We need a pic without the spring and the dust boot removed.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Where do you see that??

We need a pic without the spring and the dust boot removed.
do you not see the NUT on top the rod? Like I said, if there is no strap on it, holding the rod in a compressed state, then it sure looks like there is not any pressure in the shock. It should be extended if there is no retaining strap still on the shock.

question: If you pull on the rod, does it come out further? If so then the shock is bad. No pressure.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

do you not see the NUT on top the rod? Like I said, if there is no strap on it, holding the rod in a compressed state, then it sure looks like there is not any pressure in the shock. It should be extended if there is no retaining strap still on the shock.

question: If you pull on the rod, does it come out further? If so then the shock is bad. No pressure.
If it's not gas charged, it won't self extend.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Drifting

do people really still install non pressurized shocks in 2010? haha

But, in either case, the rod is not extended. So, don't matter.

And if its not a pressurized type shock, then why didnt this guy pull out the rod?

This is a weird post.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-16-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

do people really still install non pressurized shocks in 2010? haha

But, in either case, the rod is not extended. So, don't matter.

And if its not a pressurized type shock, then why didnt this guy pull out the rod?

This is a weird post.
He said it was all the way out. It's kind of hard to tell but what you're looking at is not the shock body, it's the rubber protective boot which has a metal washer built into the top. It follows the movement of the rod.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
He said it was all the way out. It's kind of hard to tell but what you're looking at is not the shock body, it's the rubber protective boot which has a metal washer built into the top. It follows the movement of the rod.
+1

I have installed these but it was a long ass time ago. IIRC I had to compress the spring a lot. I was a little surprised...again, if I am recalling correct. It was like 3-4 years ago...
Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed H&R coilovers, you have to press on the top hat and have someone else install the nut. Make sure spring is sitting all the way down. Spring compressor would help cause trying to adjust the front coils is pain in the rear. My car is sitting real low in the front.