GY Assurance ComforTred vs GY Eagle ResponsEdge

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GY Assurance ComforTred vs GY Eagle ResponsEdge

at 53k on my '07 TL. Looking for new tires for the stock wheels.

i live in oregon, it rains a lot. not too worried about snow.

$700 total OTD for the comfortred, $560 total OTD for responsedge.

I have the comfortred on right now, but the responsedge come in on friday and i can return these and they will refund the difference.

first experience was handling got a whole lot more responsive, and the road noise was very quiet. felt my car hug the pavement a lot better too. all in all very happy with the comfortred, but for the savings, considering responsedge and their carbon fiber sidewall

so any owner experiences with these tires? will i notice a big difference if i "downgrade" to the responsedge? I am 24, i could use the price difference towards tein springs , i dont drive super aggressively, and i need something that will get me through the big puddles in oregon!

thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
No experience with these tires, but if you the type considering Tein assemblies, I sure wouldn't buy the GY ComforTred as it's has a very narrow tread width when compared to others and is only a H rated tire. Also, there is no size listed for the 245/45-17, the size I would purchase.
ResponsEdge doesn't even have a size for the TL.
Just my
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Racer

Thanks for your response. I am on 235/45-17 right now with comfortred. Is there a reason you go 245?

Sorry I'm a complete tire noob and I'm on an iPhone so can't really search too well. I'm not completely sold on lowering, just looking for a good tire.

I was gonna do eagle f1 a/s buy my friend at GY said that it's discontinued and don't have my size.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

You'll find that the OE Michelins are about 25.6" tall while replacement 235/45-17's run about 25.3". The 245/45-17 is a closer fit 25.7". When you review the various tires, also look at the tread width as it will vary greatly within a specific size:
245/45-17 A/S tires:
Yokohama 8.7"
Bridgestone Serenity 8.1"

The GY ComforTred in 235/45 (largest width available) is 7.7" wide

Not that this in itself is the ultimate buying guide, but it will give some insight into the performance/appearance quality of the tires, at least in my opinion. You'll find that many don't list the tread width and then only through visual examination, or phone calls, this specification can be established. If a smooth and soft ride is required, just leave them on, if more aggressive look and/or performance needed, upgrade.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
You'll find that the OE Michelins are about 25.6" tall while replacement 235/45-17's run about 25.3". The 245/45-17 is a closer fit 25.7". When you review the various tires, also look at the tread width as it will vary greatly within a specific size:
245/45-17 A/S tires:
Yokohama 8.7"
Bridgestone Serenity 8.1"

The GY ComforTred in 235/45 (largest width available) is 7.7" wide

Not that this in itself is the ultimate buying guide, but it will give some insight into the performance/appearance quality of the tires, at least in my opinion. You'll find that many don't list the tread width and then only through visual examination, or phone calls, this specification can be established. If a smooth and soft ride is required, just leave them on, if more aggressive look and/or performance needed, upgrade.
I had 235/45 17 sized Serenity's on and didn't encounter any problems with that size and the ride was super quiet and smooth.

Only question I have about going to 245/45 17 is, the majority of that size on tirerack causes the speed and load rating to increase which I would think it not something you would want for a car like the TL would you?

Anyway, I agree Don that if you looking for a smooth/quiet ride that the Comfortred Tourings are the best bet as a cheap alternative to the Serenity's. If you can afford the Serenity's I would get them. If you want something more sport oriented I would reocmmend the S4s or something from Michelin.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by smarty666
I had 235/45 17 sized Serenity's on and didn't encounter any problems with that size and the ride was super quiet and smooth.

Only question I have about going to 245/45 17 is, the majority of that size on tirerack causes the speed and load rating to increase which I would think it not something you would want for a car like the TL would you?

Anyway, I agree Don that if you looking for a smooth/quiet ride that the Comfortred Tourings are the best bet as a cheap alternative to the Serenity's. If you can afford the Serenity's I would get them. If you want something more sport oriented I would reocmmend the S4s or something from Michelin.
If you notice, the OP stated that he was contemplating installing Tein suspension and that would normally indicate that the tires desired would be of a more aggressive nature, e.g. width and construction, rather than a tire that would afford a soft and cushy ride. If one wanted a compromise in the 245/45-17, there are many H rated tires available, most exceed the OE load rating, but the only drawback is that you should not exceed 130 mph with the H rated tire.

Just an FYI-I have the S4's on the TL (245/45-17), and they are a great all around tire, wide tread, great ride and handling, but if used in the cold, the flatspotting is really annoying. It's not a minimal amount as the car can sit at a mall for an hour and the flatspotting returns, have the car sit in the garage for weeks and it will take many, many miles for the tires to return to round.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
If you notice, the OP stated that he was contemplating installing Tein suspension and that would normally indicate that the tires desired would be of a more aggressive nature, e.g. width and construction, rather than a tire that would afford a soft and cushy ride. If one wanted a compromise in the 245/45-17, there are many H rated tires available, most exceed the OE load rating, but the only drawback is that you should not exceed 130 mph with the H rated tire.

Just an FYI-I have the S4's on the TL (245/45-17), and they are a great all around tire, wide tread, great ride and handling, but if used in the cold, the flatspotting is really annoying. It's not a minimal amount as the car can sit at a mall for an hour and the flatspotting returns, have the car sit in the garage for weeks and it will take many, many miles for the tires to return to round.
Yeah, that is the only downside to Yokies I have had in the past as well with two separate tires from them. Its not that big of a deal and like you said, the flat spotting goes away in a few miles of driving. The tires were great for the most part!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Just put on a set of Khumho AST's... Not a track tire to be sure, but a hell of a lot better than the Pirelli P6 4 Seasons (garbage!) that were on it when I bought the car...!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skippyTL
Just put on a set of Khumho AST's... Not a track tire to be sure, but a hell of a lot better than the Pirelli P6 4 Seasons (garbage!) that were on it when I bought the car...!
wow you really think khumo ast's are better than the p6? that is odd, since khumo is a poor constructed tire using low quality material. pirelli on the other hand is a great contender to many michelin and other top name tires.

and to the op i think you need to reconsider your two choices. first of all why those two tires? goodyear is NOT a good brand, their tire manufacturing procedures are inferior compared to many other less expensive brands. so if your decision was made due to price, you do have other opions, if you decided due to handling you have many other options, overall you have many options that can both save you money and give you a better product. just my