Get 225's or stay with 235 & add Camber Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Get 225's or stay with 235 & add Camber Kit?

First a little background info:

Right now I am currently using 235 tires. I am lowered about 2" all the way around on ISC N1 coilovers with fenders rolled. Rim specs are 19x8.5 +23. I already have a camber kit in the rear of the car and right now it is set at about -1.3. I have been kicking around lowering the car a bit more in both the front and rear. Right now I only rub in the front if my wheels are turned in either direction and I hit a dip in the road, going in a straight line and hitting dips no rubbing occurs. I don't currently rub in the rear, but when the car was a little bit lower even with the damper on full stiff I would get minor rubbing when hitting dips hard enough, and especially if someone was in the back seat.

So with that being said in order to lower the car a bit more without having any rubbing issues I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

1) I stay with the 235's, add more negative camber to the rear to avoid any rubbing issues even with someone in the backseat. I would then purchase the Skunk 2 Pro Series camber kit for the front and add some negative camber to avoid the minor rubbing I get over dips.

2) Buy 225 tires and adjust the rear camber if necessary, but forgo buying the Skunk 2 camber kit for the front as I would hope the 225 tire would be enough to let me lower the car a bit more and not have to worry about any rubbing issues.

Cliff Notes: Stay with the current 235 tires and buy front camber kit and adjust rear camber to avoid rubbing.

OR

Buy 225 tires and hope that solves any rubbing issues that may occur when I lower the car more.

Side note: Skunk 2 kit is about $290, new tires will run $400+

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Shop around for the Skunk2's...I bought front UCA's and rear Ingalls kit for around $300 for both iirc.

As for lowering more. Leave the rear 235 tires on and add more camber if needed, whinch shouldn't be much. (I'm assuming your fenders are already rolled front and rear)

The fronts, sorry but you will still have that rub when turning into places while on a incline. More camber or a narrower tire probably wont fix that with the wheel specs you have. I deal with the slight rub, because it only rubs on inclines, not while turning on level pavement (im lowered around 2.5" with 19x9.5 +22 all around, running 225-35 tires if that helps you any) Your setup may take both 225 tires up front and more camber to fix the rubbing issue

Also im around -2 camber front and -2.5 rear and have not seen any wear issues thus far.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
Shop around for the Skunk2's...I bought front UCA's and rear Ingalls kit for around $300 for both iirc.

As for lowering more. Leave the rear 235 tires on and add more camber if needed, whinch shouldn't be much. (I'm assuming your fenders are already rolled front and rear)

The fronts, sorry but you will still have that rub when turning into places while on a incline. More camber or a narrower tire probably wont fix that with the wheel specs you have. I deal with the slight rub, because it only rubs on inclines, not while turning on level pavement (im lowered around 2.5" with 19x9.5 +22 all around, running 225-35 tires if that helps you any) Your setup may take both 225 tires up front and more camber to fix the rubbing issue

Also im around -2 camber front and -2.5 rear and have not seen any wear issues thus far.
Wow $300 for both is a steal, and yes my fenders are rolled in both the front and rear. The front rubbing issue doesn't really bother me too much. The only time I ever experience it is when I pull into where I live. There is a small dip and if I hit it at more than 5mph the fender will touch the tread slightly. I normally don't drive fast into parking lots or anything of that nature anyway.

I guess my biggest concern is the rear. I don't always carry passengers back there and I don't think 4 people have ever been in my car at once. But when someone is back there I would like it not to rub. At the current ride height and damper on full stiff I don't rub at all. This was just tested a few nights ago when I had a passenger in the backseat. I think this can be solved by just adding some more negative camber even with having the 235 tire in place.

Since you are lower than I am and have a bit more aggressive specs, have you ever had anyone ride in the backseat? Any rubbing issues with people back there?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by The Machine
I don't always carry passengers back there and I don't think 4 people have ever been in my car at once. But when someone is back there I would like it not to rub.

Last edited by ebelp; 09-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
05_NBP_TL (09-29-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Lmfao!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Machine, the only time mine ever rubbed was when the tire hit against the aspec rear lip where it screws to the rear bumper. A quick trim of the plastic solved that for me.

My rear tires never hit my fenders, even on big dips.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you mind rake at all? This pertains to your question of rubbing when people sit in the back. I have an 05' TL that is lowered on teins with no clearance for the front tires on my fenders and about an inch on the rears(no fender rolling or camber kit), mind you though this is on 17" stockies. Would you suggest 19's or should i go with 18's and a low tire profile. I dont mean to jack the thread!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ultimatum127
Do you mind rake at all? This pertains to your question of rubbing when people sit in the back. I have an 05' TL that is lowered on teins with no clearance for the front tires on my fenders and about an inch on the rears(no fender rolling or camber kit), mind you though this is on 17" stockies. Would you suggest 19's or should i go with 18's and a low tire profile. I dont mean to jack the thread!
I actually prefer the car a tad higher in the rear for the rake look. The way this car is designed it needs that kind of setup. Having everything sit even makes the car look like the rear is sagging.

And honestly you could go with either 18 or 19. With both you will have to run a low profile tire, but obviously the 18's will have a bit more meat to them than the 19's. Look at Ebelp's progress thread. He runs 18's for his summer and winter setup and they look sick! Also check out Sharksbreath's progress thread he runs 19 and his car looks just as great.

It's all about personal preference because you can make either size look good depending on how low you go and what style rims you choose. With 18's though, you really have to pick the right style rim so they don't look too small.

I have 19's on my car and like the looks of them best. I think the they are ideal size for this car. Not too big and not too small.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by The Machine
I actually prefer the car a tad higher in the rear for the rake look. The way this car is designed it needs that kind of setup. Having everything sit even makes the car look like the rear is sagging.

And honestly you could go with either 18 or 19. With both you will have to run a low profile tire, but obviously the 18's will have a bit more meat to them than the 19's. Look at Ebelp's progress thread. He runs 18's for his summer and winter setup and they look sick! Also check out Sharksbreath's progress thread he runs 19 and his car looks just as great.

It's all about personal preference because you can make either size look good depending on how low you go and what style rims you choose. With 18's though, you really have to pick the right style rim so they don't look too small.

I have 19's on my car and like the looks of them best. I think the they are ideal size for this car. Not too big and not too small.
thanks! but with 19's did you find the ride quality diminish at all, especially sitting that low(top of tire with or a little tucked into fender) Because with 17's and running just height adjusting teins my ride is still comfortable, but on my dads e46 M3 whose sitting a bit higher and on 19's(low profile tire) the ride can be pretty harsh.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ultimatum127
thanks! but with 19's did you find the ride quality diminish at all, especially sitting that low(top of tire with or a little tucked into fender) Because with 17's and running just height adjusting teins my ride is still comfortable, but on my dads e46 M3 whose sitting a bit higher and on 19's(low profile tire) the ride can be pretty harsh.
It's hard to compare a BMW to a TL. They are two totally different cars with different suspensions. So while his may seem a bit more harsh with 19's there no saying it will feel like that with you TL.

A lot of the ride quality has to do with the suspension you run. Not saying that having a larger rims and thinner sidewall doesn't play a part in it though. With my 19's I feel that the ride quality is still great. I have ISC N1 coilovers with street comfort spring rates. The front damper is on 16 and the rear on full stiff, 32, and I still feel the ride is very comfortable. Also, I guess depending on where you live can be a factor as far as ride comfort is concerned, as not all places have great road conditions.