General G-Max AS-05

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
General G-Max AS-05

Looking for a tire with bang for the buck? Look no further! Installed today! This most recent entry into the Ultra High Performance tire arena gives a new look at the price/performance ratio. So far, these tires are the bomb! Having owned Michelin AS/3's, Continental DWS's, and most recently, the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-S A/S, these tires represent a new standard in value for UHP all season tyiz. Would have gone with the BFG's again, but the last set wore out in a year and a half with a UTOG rating of 400 AA A. After reading the reviews for the these new Generals on Tirerack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS), Mavistire, and tirereviewsandmore.com (https://tirereviewsandmore.com/gener...as-05-reviews/), I decided to take a shot especially considering the 500 AA A rating and the price. $110 each mounted, balanced, & installed WITH a road hazard warranty from Mavistire. Granted, Winter snow hasn't been tried since there tires only came out in May, but all the reviews and my initial impressions are extremely encouraging. There's even a 45 day trial meaning I can return them within 45 days for a refund !

Last edited by DMZ; 09-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DMZ:
Jackass (09-28-2017), JMiles_T (05-05-2019)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Will be very interested in your reviews as the mileage piles on. I also have been watching these since the AS-03 was priced and rated similar. The AS-03 didn't score well for ride and noise, nor was it scored well in wet performance. It looks like General may have gotten that figured out in the AS-05 since those scores appear to be more in line with their competition. I don't care as much about true snow/ice since I have dedicated winters, but care more about noise and ride quality as they age.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Jackass
Will be very interested in your reviews as the mileage piles on. I also have been watching these since the AS-03 was priced and rated similar. The AS-03 didn't score well for ride and noise, nor was it scored well in wet performance. It looks like General may have gotten that figured out in the AS-05 since those scores appear to be more in line with their competition. I don't care as much about true snow/ice since I have dedicated winters, but care more about noise and ride quality as they age.
My 1st 24 hour impressions still impress me! Car rides like I'm on a flying quiet magic carpet and my city gas mileage has upped a notch or 2.

If you remember the slogan from their old TV commercials from years ago, "Sooner or Later, You'll Own Generals!"
How right they were!

Stay tuned ................

Last edited by DMZ; 09-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

After my 1st experience on wet roads, my initial impression remains the same. So far after 12 days, these tires are STILL the bomb. All of you who want to spend more on Michelins, Contis, Pirellis, etc., go ahead! Its your money, not mine.

Last edited by DMZ; 10-09-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

After 1 month, I can say I'm still fully satisfied with these tyiz. Out and about in the driving rain today, they perform as would be expected.
No hydroplaning, and they hold beautifully on turns in the wet. Still recommended !
Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a set of these. These are the first tires that made me realize I've only been riding on horrible tires before. Had on some Cooper rs3-a, these are like skating. Low road noise, good grip. Being general it's possible it's the same compound as continental dsws. Not a bad new contender.
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (01-04-2018)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

1st Snow Report:

These tires hold the road in light snow at least as good if not better than the Conti DWS's or the Michelin AS/3 I've had before. In fact, they're BETTER than the original AS/3's in the snow. So for those of you who refused to believe in these tires, time to wake up! Don't let their low price fool you, these are the right tires at the right price.
ackyourah (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yaaaay!

Thanks DMZ!! ... love Acurazine and the regulars like you. I really value your insights and no nonsense opinions.

I've been researching on line for at least 3 weeks now struggling to decide on a replacement for Conti Extremecontact DWS's (down to the D now, but I'm at 50k!), Would have replaced with the same but very disappointed that the DWS's aren't available any longer... only the revised version = DWS06. Why not happily just go with the updated version? After all they must be improved, right? Well, in a completely unintentional yet fairly controlled experiment, the DWS06 treadlife appears substantially inferior to it's DWS predecessor.

Quick story (sorry this is a tangent, but some may find interesting): Having been reasonably pleased with several sets of the DWS contis on my 06TL 6MT, in May 2016, I purchased a set for my son's 04TL 6MT. Or at least I thought I had. In a surprisingly horrible experience at our local Sears (who had previously done a great job for me with tires on several other cars), we later discovered they had installed 3 of the newer type DWS06's and 1 original type DWS. We do regular 5k rotations and practice religious tire pressure maintenance. My son has pretty chill driving style: not a putzer, but no hard cornering and mild acceleration. He fully appreciates he didn't pay for the tires and buys his own gas. So far all 4 tires have gone for a similar relaxing ride.

At 18k miles in 19 months (coming up on 4th rotation so not perfectly controlled):
All 3 DWS06's --> S almost gone.
The lone DWS --> solid S remains.

As I was divorcing the DWS (because she's now DWS06), I had to find a different tire. And I am really glad to see your review on the General G-Max AS-05's this morning! I don't know how I could have missed it during my research but if I had caught it earlier, my decision would have been much easier. Just yesterday I ordered the Generals! Getting installed next week.
DMZ (12-17-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Meh, too early to really know. Only 71 reviews and a fair amount of documented noise in those reviews, including TireRack's own test. Almost no comments on snow performance.

Gonna have to wait and see.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Agreed

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Meh, too early to really know. Only 71 reviews and a fair amount of documented noise in those reviews, including TireRack's own test. Almost no comments on snow performance.

Gonna have to wait and see.
Yeah, I hear ya. The limited reviews and reports of noise got my attention as well (just added to the struggle). But I need something now. I am just happy I chose one that appears good (including light snow) out of the box. Went through 3 sets of DWS and every set got a bit noisier with age and they were always sensitive to certain surfaces. While I definitely appreciate a quiet ride, I personally will give up some silence for lasting performance -- again that's just my preference if a tradeoff must be made and seems one always does. A noisy AND poor performing ride would be really disappointing. Time will tell. Will report back here as time goes on.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Let's get something straight here folks. No tire is gonna be 1000% perfect all around no matter how great or not so great the reviews are.

All I can say is after almost 2 months and surviving being pushed on to the curb, (https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-today-963958/) the AS-05's perform as good as can be expected from any UHP All Season tire. That includes their performance in light snow.

I have no complaints, and as far as I'm concerned, so far, so good!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

2nd Snow Report :

Was out in the new snow storm the East coast is facing this morning, and all I can say is that these tires performed as expected. They had enough grip to get me around safely in the snow and on the treacherous roads.

So you naysayers out there who cringed over just a couple of negative noise reviews(out of dozens) by drivers on Tirerack, go spend $40-$60 more for Michelins or Contis !
Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

At 2 months and 2,100 miles on the General G-Max AS-05...

Snow: In a nutshell, I can confirm DMZ's experience and impressions. After several heavy WI snows I am very pleased with the performance of these tires. The first half of my 35 mile commute is on rural roads. Other half on expressway. We live in a rural area and I've driven through several hundred feet (distance, not depth) of 6+ inches of unplowed snow on our gravel driveway (which has a very slight downhill slope). I also had no problem driving back up the driveway in my tracks. On the regular roads I've driven on fresh, accumulating snow, slush, packed snow, and packed snow over ice and I am happy. Driving on snow is never like a dry road. So I am describing common sense conditions here. In snow, these tires are at least as good as any I've owned (which for this car has only been the Conti ExtremeContacts DWS). I've never owned dedicated snow tires.

Wet: based on limited experiences so far, impression is also good. Will know better after some spring downpours.

Dry (and cold, sometimes very): Traction on par with the Conti DWS. Very happy.

These tires definitely flat-spot (seems to correlate to duration parked... for nearly a week a few times). Probably similar to the Conti DWS. Until the tires re-equilibrate, they can be noisier and feel unbalanced. But this is transient and I consider a small trade-off for otherwise stellar performance. Otherwise they are smooth and quiet. I wonder if this has contributed to noise complaints in other reviews (by people who do not understand flatspotting). I'm not suggesting it's not fair to report the noise, but just be sure to tell the whole story.

My son will need to replace his tires soon (04 TL 6MT) and I'm happy I will need to waste no time researching. These are the ticket unless things change as the miles accumulate.
The following 2 users liked this post by ackyourah:
DMZ (02-21-2018), Pair of TLs (04-04-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put a set of these on my wife's car 3 months ago. Had to use her car to get back and forth to work the other day. This is the first time I've driven the car since the tires were put on. Absolutely the loudest tires I've ever had on any vehicle I've ever owned. Like Ironman Stewart's off road rally car with sand knobbies on it.. I wish I had driven it right after they were installed because I would have taken them back.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:16 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by 05tlguy
Put a set of these on my wife's car 3 months ago. Had to use her car to get back and forth to work the other day. This is the first time I've driven the car since the tires were put on. Absolutely the loudest tires I've ever had on any vehicle I've ever owned. Like Ironman Stewart's off road rally car with sand knobbies on it.. I wish I had driven it right after they were installed because I would have taken them back.
I don't have any noise issues. And very few (if any) of the on-line reviews of these tyiz can cooberate.
After 13 months, I can honestly say I'd buy these again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aside from the noise, they handle very well.I haven't driven in snow yet but will soon. I'm glad your noise levels are acceptable. I wish could concur . Im sorry i didn't read Tire rack's driving review of them as they also felt noise was evident. I will say that flat spotting is much less of an issue than any other Tire I've had on the car though.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Funny thing, due to the fact the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires I have on my TL, I ordered a set of General G-Max AS-05s for my wife's Mazda3; I'll probably have them mounted within the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I noticed they updated these to the AS-07. Anyone tried them yet?
Old 03-14-2024, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by wizurd
I noticed they updated these to the AS-07. Anyone tried them yet?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=319