Fuzion HRI

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuzion HRI

Has anyone bought the Fuzion HRI all season performance tires? I had a guy recommend them to me last weekend. There is a dealer for them right by my house. He said his TL went great in the snow with them last winter. They are supposed to be made by Firestone/Bridgestone or someone like that.
I found a few old posts on here about them but nothing helpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Racer

I have the Fuzion ZRI's. They are ultra high performance summer times. I, however, use them all year around since it does not snow too bad in NYC as say, alaska.

Good tires, no complaints and they stick to the road. They do however wear out too quick. I have to replace mine after 15,000 - 20,000 but then again, I am city driving so a lot of breaking, corner taking etc.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced

The HRI's are supposed to come with a 40K mile wearout warranty. I have a Firestone dealer quoting me $480.00 for 4 tires out the door. I might tell him if he throws in a front end alignment, I'll try them out.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look it up on tirerack first. Pretty sure you'll get them there for cheaper, and you can check out surveys and reviews. My old 3 series had HRIs on them. They're cheap but have very good wet traction. Very good tire wear too and nice thick tread. They aren't meant for amazing dry handling though but they have undeniably great wet weather handling (which is why I got them for my DD at the time). They can feel a little mushy/soft so you might want to run a slightly higher (few lbs) tire pressure with them. I do remember that after I got them it was impossible to break the tires/peel off afterwards compared to my stock Continentals. They're grippy in that regard, but they aren't as performance oriented as Michelin PS2s that I once had. Great for DD duty tho, and I'm def considering getting them again before winter strikes since my TL tires are pretty worn.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got them too, but this will be my first winter with them. I got them installed for $400.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 PM
hates potatoville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my car last year, they were already on it. DON"T GET THEM!!! They're great on dry roads. You will do some hydroplaning when it rains. Last winter it snowed a lot and I was sliding around like I had summer tires on. In my driveway I have a slight incline and there was a very small amount of slush, I was spinning trying to get into my garage! I'm changing them out to something else but I know for sure before it snows here, those tires will be off my car.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Fresher the Better

The Fuzion HRi is an unremarkable tire in the HP all-season category. It received lackluster owner reviews at Tirerack.com; it came in third in Tirerack's comparative review back in 2006; and it came in dead last in its category in Consumer Report's 2009 tire test:

Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLAwesome
The Fuzion HRi is an unremarkable tire in the HP all-season category. It received lackluster owner reviews at Tirerack.com; it came in third in Tirerack's comparative review back in 2006; and it came in dead last in its category in Consumer Report's 2009 tire test:

Thanks for the info. Do you have anything on the Sumitomo HTR + ? My local NTB talked me into a set of those. He said they are a better tire that the Goodyear GT all seasons and they are cheaper. They are price matching the tire rack price. I'm having them installed tomorrow. My current tires are so bald that anything will be an upgrade.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by Fuzzbutt
Thanks for the info. Do you have anything on the Sumitomo HTR + ? My local NTB talked me into a set of those. He said they are a better tire that the Goodyear GT all seasons and they are cheaper. They are price matching the tire rack price. I'm having them installed tomorrow. My current tires are so bald that anything will be an upgrade.
CR reviewed it last year. Very good for snow & low rolling resistance, pretty average otherwise, except for very bad treadlife:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...asuhptires.jpg

Personally, I think you're being penny-wise pound foolish by not just getting the 50,000-mile warranty Continental DWS:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info. The Continental isn't available at the NTB I was at. I think I will try them and if they don't work out, replace them next winter. If things work out money wise, I would like to get a nice set of summer rims and tires and put dedicated winter tires on the stock wheels. However, it seems like I'm paying my daughters ballet school a couple hundred every few weeks. Braces will be next.
Does it ever end??

Thanks again for the info!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Fresher the Better

Braces will be next.
Does it ever end??
Divorced?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced

I have the sumitomo htr+ on my 05 TL and while they arent the greatest performance tire they are very quiet and they have a nice ride
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced

I had Just had the Summitomo's installed last night. I checked out the Conti that TLawsome referenced. It's a nice looking tire for the money. If these don't work out I might try them next.
NTB price matched the tire rack for the tires. The only complaint i have so far is that they automatically dinged me for the "king royal" tire package. That covers rotation, road hazard, and balancing. I wanted that anyway because it's only a couple bucks more that just mounting and balancing. I think they should have spelled out the available options though.

So far the new tire are quiet and handle fine. If I can get around in the snow and I get 20K out of them I will consider them a good value. I the snow gets too bad, I will have to steal the Murano off of the old ball and chain......that reminds me....I need 4 new tires for that also $$$$$$$$$......is there a tire clunker program coming???. If you add in the 4 tires I bought for my motorhome in the spring I will be shelling out close to $2500 on tires this year.....ouch!

If I remember I will post an update on the Sumitomo's after our 1st snowstorm.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I believe these tires are made by goodyear
Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 AM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I got 40k out of my sumitomo HTR+. They get pretty loud though near the end of their life.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by nycACURA
I believe these tires are made by goodyear
If you are referring to the Fuzion tires, they are made by Firestone. It is their entry level "tuner" tire brand if that makes any sense. I ran the ZRI (summer only) on my last car and they were great for the price I paid.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackass
If you are referring to the Fuzion tires, they are made by Firestone. It is their entry level "tuner" tire brand if that makes any sense. I ran the ZRI (summer only) on my last car and they were great for the price I paid.
You're right. I am confusing them with fierce tires.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the HRIs on my car and they seem ok. The only complaint I have is that they are not comfortable. Other than that the treadwear, noise, and handling seem good.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced

As a followup to my earlier posts on these tires, I did have a chance to use them in the snow the other day. We got about 5 inches and I had to run some errands so I decided to test them out.

So far, the seem to go good in the snow. The traction pulling out and going forward is pretty good. The side to side traction and handling is good and predictable. The stopping power is less than stellar on ice. On snow, it's not too bad. They handle well on dry roads and in the rain.
Having driven an AWD Subaru for the last 10 years I am used to not fearing the weather. The TL handles no where near what the Subaru did in bad weather so it's hard to tell which part of the difference is the car and which is the tires.

All in all, I would say the Summitomo's perform pretty good for only being an all season tire.

As a side note, NTB sent me a letter saying I am automatically enrolled in their 3 year safety club. That gives me free flat tire service, jumpstarting, and towing if the spare is unusable.
I'm guessing the catch is the towing is to one of their facilities.
Hopefully I will never need it!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Advanced

The 07 TLS i just got came with new fusions that the dealer had put on (main guess because they are real cheap) they are loud and the ride is worse than my dropped civic on oem tires was. As soon as I finish off parting out the civic, wheels/tires are first on my list.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
got these tires and have driven on them for 2K miles....highway + city

1st kiss ur great gas mileage goodbye....on the highway for 250miles i used to get 33-31 mpg cruising at 70mph with my falkens and messed up alignment....now i get 28-30....so a drop of 4-5 mpg on an avg

2nd a little noisier than my prev tires (falken ze 912 and michelin mvmx4....
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Another followup on the Summitomo tires. We received over 40 inches of snow in February. Unfortunately, I had to go to work on a few bad days. The summitomo tires weren't great, but I never got stuck and made it 20 miles each way without any problems.
I got stuck on a hill one time and just for the heck of it, i turned OFF the traction control and then went right up it. Kinda backwards from the way you would think it would work. I have also noticed a 1 mpg decrease in fuel mileage. Depending on how they last, I might try a different tire next time.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Fresher the Better

Sumitomo recently introduced the replacement to th HTR+, which is their new HTR A/S P01:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...FS+P01+%28W%29

I hope tirerack does a review of them soon.