Free suspension upgrade? Shortening stock sleeves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Free suspension upgrade? Shortening stock sleeves?

I was looking at this as I replaced my rear Konis last weekend. I was losing light and did not have enough time to figure out if shortening the bushing spacer/sleeve out would present any problems. So far a google search has turned up nothing of anyone else doing this.

What I was thinking about doing is shortening the sleeve so the bushings can be torqued down more resulting in a stiffer bushing. I like the more direct feel of a stiffer bushing.

A quick look at the rod looks like there is enough thread to crank down a good 1/2" more on the bushings.

I'm picturing the motion of the suspension in my head and I can't see any downsides to this besides more NVH but without a shock in front of me I may be missing something. I might be missing something large, who knows but I think I may try this. There's the off chance that it could slightly raise the car, but I have nothing to look at.

Can anyone tell me this absolutely won't work before I take the car apart? The Type-S top hats are supposedly a nice upgrade, this may be very close.

Here's an alternative poly bushing for under $20. The only reason I won't do that right now is I might get lucky and not have to remove the shock from the car to shorten the sleeves.

Last edited by I hate cars; 12-30-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I think it would raise it. When installing my brothers coil-over sleves on his gts we screwed up & put them flipped & we had an awkward stance where the front was raised higher than the rear (even with the fronts all the way down in its lowest setting). Dunno if this makes any sense. It even sounds confusing in my head & he drove it like that for a day before we took it all apart again & rebuilt it. If im understanding you correct, you just wanna be able to keep tightening the tophat a 1/2 inch more than its supposed to right?

Last edited by TRIOD3SIGNS; 12-31-2010 at 01:47 AM.