Foose Speedster vs Privat Netz

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foose Speedster vs Privat Netz

I need some help in making a decision.

I currently have Foose Speedster Rims on my 04 NBP. One wheel is bent and I have Falken 451 tires on them

Replacing the rim is 450.00, and I definately want new tires. I do not like how the Falken sounds or feels.

I saw a TL with a set of Maya STM wheels on it, and WOW. But 710 a piece for a rim only is a little out of my league. It seems like the Privat Netz wheel is similar looking, and is a lot cheaper.

I am amazingly indecisive. Should I buy a new Foose rim, and new rubber or buy a set of Privat Netz or other mesh-type wheel?

Any help is appreciated. thx
Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u got any pics for these rims??
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the both but just go for a change and get the Privat Netz they look great on any color
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
cleaning the mesh type rims is a bitch!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Privat Netz = $150 > Maya STM = $710...

Rims are like fashion these days, and it makes some folks feel good to run exotic, excessively expensive wheels in completely impractical scenarios, ... like daily driving to work...

What do you get for 5X the price?

1) Name... Check out my Maya, Dub, Volks, etc.

2) 1-2 lbs of saved unsprung weight... whoop te f'ing do.

3) Forged/stronger design... which is great, but most people curb thier rims before they ever put them in a scenario where the stronger rim would be an advantage. You're gonna curb em if you drive your car. Very seldom do you bend one, quite often you scrape one.

If you wear jeans, get the Privats, if you insist on Burberry... get your checkbook out... and we'll all be impressed with how much you spent on your rims.

BTW, I love my Privats. If I had a garage queen, I wouldn't have a TL, and I probably would have an expensive rim on it.
$700/per wheel racing rims wheels belong on real sports cars, not pseudo sport luxury sedans.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Join the darkside! I like the privat's because, honestly, most of the time you are driving anyway and I doubt it is humanly possible for someone to recognize what type of wheel you have while they are moving.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by aznbo187

Join the darkside! I like the privat's because, honestly, most of the time you are driving anyway and I doubt it is humanly possible for someone to recognize what type of wheel you have while they are moving.
Bam...

Don't do staggered though. Can't rotate your tires, minor handling performance hit, and poseur RWD look.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Here's my NPB with my Privat Netz and no stagger

I was pretty set on the Maya STM's myself and thought I had found a set of 20's I was going to be able to pick up for a song $1,500 (They had some curb rash) from eBay but everytime I bid, the other guy covered my bid so I picked an exit point and got out around $1,400. In the end they sold for $1,595+about $125 in shipping. Those had the full black center and the curb rash may have been tough to fix anyway. I did see two (non-matching other than hole configuration) sell recently on eBay for dirt cheap. Of course, then they still woulod have had to of bought 2 more at retail for a cost of around $1,800. The hole pattern did not match out cars anyway so I was only an observer on that one.

I too bought the Privat Netz because they look so close to the Maya (MUCH closer match than the HP or Ruff's or Axis IMHO). Here is mine on 19x8 all around..
[img=http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3477/turnedrightwheelsharpfm5.th.jpg]
[img=http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9390/clearencestockvg5.th.jpg]
[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6446/illgeallyparkedec8.th.jpg]

I generally detest posers but this particular application brings up a couple of questions I am reluctant to present but here it goes any way.... (1) How do I get just the Maya center caps and (2) I wonder if they will fit? Don't really want to "advertise for free" the Privat Netz name and would much rather simply leave people geussing. I've thought about replacing these center caps with Acura std (but they are pretty plain) or HRE (I can find them fairly easily but these don't really look like HRE's).
Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Do you think the Stock Acura center caps would fit?

I agree, I thought the Privat Cebter caps are a bit gaudy...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Instructor

I personaly think those privat netz are kinda ugly. They spokes are a bit too chunky and the unmachined sides of the spokes looks terrible. If you want some mesh wheels that look good in similar style take a look at XIX wheels 05 model. ebay pics

These wheels also come in 19s and in TL fitment, plus they look very similar to the mayas.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 PM
wdp skyhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go for what you like I have messed up enough rims to know it is not how much they cost but how they look
Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by limited
I personaly think those privat netz are kinda ugly. They spokes are a bit too chunky and the unmachined sides of the spokes looks terrible. If you want some mesh wheels that look good in similar style take a look at XIX wheels 05 model. ebay pics

These wheels also come in 19s and in TL fitment, plus they look very similar to the mayas.
Don't know if this applies to the thread starter, but the privat's fit the 6-speed TL. If these fit the Brembo brakes, then we got a winner!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:00 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

The XIX's are OK but one of the reasons I did not go with the XIX's is because I didn't think they looked much like the Maya's. I personally think the Netz look more like the Maya's due to the two different finishes on the Netz. The Maya's have two different finishes as well.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Argh! Missed the five minute timeline for edits (Took me a minute to find the wheel pics)...

Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Intermediate

I appreciate everybody's input. I am trying to sell my Speedsters, and I am buying a set of Privat....looks awesome. The Maya's would be nice, but I agree with Kennedy. 710 on a single rim is wayyy to much, and I am pretty sure a divorce would follow quickly after their purchase.

Now I just need to get rid of my Foose Speedster.......
Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I would def go with the foose speedsters. They are high quality proven rims with a good track record. Plus they look sick on a tl with the full chrome and small dish.

Those privat netz are super cheap rims. I have to admit, they do look decent on TL's, but didn't your parents ever teach you that you get what you pay for? under $200 per rim, come on i like to save money too but dont cheap out on a big investment for your ride, you don't need Maya's but don't scrape the bottom of the barrel either
Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by desper
I would def go with the foose speedsters. They are high quality proven rims with a good track record. Plus they look sick on a tl with the full chrome and small dish.

Those privat netz are super cheap rims. I have to admit, they do look decent on TL's, but didn't your parents ever teach you that you get what you pay for? under $200 per rim, come on i like to save money too but dont cheap out on a big investment for your ride, you don't need Maya's but don't scrape the bottom of the barrel either
It really depends on each persons situation. Some happen to live in places where streets aren't the greatest, and it sure easier on them knowing that their replacement wheel will not cost them lunch for a month!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by desper

Actually, I paid $160 per wheel... but it seems your parents failed to teach you the value of a dollar. Low cost doesn't always mean low quality... and the contrapositive, high costs doesn't alway imply superior quality.

Sure Maya's are 2 piece forged wheels which are SLIGHTLY stronger and lighter, and the machining design is a little more intricate and clean... but I can buy a SET Netz for the TL for the cost of (1) Maya. That's just absurd.

Privat are made by Konig, a known quality wheel maker. They're spun cast, like many other cast wheels (to include the Enkei manufactured A-Specs). I've yet to read a report of a wheel failure, out of round issue, unbalancable, or even a surface corrosion finish issue with these wheels.

I don't consider it "cheapining out" putting quality, great looking rims on my TL, even if they don't carry a high price tag... I don't need a specific brand name if the value isn't there.

If Netz cost $350 per, this conversation wouldn't be happening.... but if it makes you feel better to run $3000 rims because they cost $3000, more power to ya, but many of us just aren't that "brand" and "status" oriented. That seems to be reserved for BMW drivers.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:42 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I look for deals. Heck, if I can find a set of HRE's for a sub-$2K price I might just put them on the TL. It sure would be unique. Then again, the likelihood of finding such a deal is nearly ziltch. As I said one my Maya attempts, it ain't easy to do for a low price. Some feel $3K is fair others think that unless you spend $8K on rims you shouldn't bother. Throwing the Maya's or another "mid-priced" rim on your TL may make you feel better but when you roll up to the guy in the Benz or Beemer you would probably once again feel the "peer pressure" that seems to be so important to the un-educated. So beit. Just remember that there is ALWAYS a bigger fish in the sea. Maya's would be a nice touch but one guy on here already did it and they do have a price to them. You wanna impress us? Order a set of custom-made HRE's and drop about $8K on the wheels alone and THEN "maybe" we will give some "props" (or whatever the heck the "term of the day" may be). Just don't be an idiot and try and get 22's on this car because all that does is advertise an un-equivicable level of "folding to peer pressure (as a few younger kids did in a prior thread).
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
06 TL

Originally Posted by limited

XIX-05'S

Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
If you wear jeans, get the Privats, if you insist on Burberry... get your checkbook out... and we'll all be impressed with how much you spent on your rims.

BTW, I love my Privats. If I had a garage queen, I wouldn't have a TL, and I probably would have an expensive rim on it.
$700/per wheel racing rims wheels belong on real sports cars, not pseudo sport luxury sedans.

My 2 cents.
What if i wear SEVEN Jeans? LOL! And how did you know i wear burberry? Did you also know i have a Gucci wallet with no money in it because of my volks? HAHAH car mods for life!

But i do have to say, i got MORE looks when i had my privat netz than i do now with my volks...the only people now who go oooo and ahhh are the people who ARE into the import scene and they understand the gold/white combo and also they know that volks are the shit. but hey, do what fits your pocket......i would go with the netz personally...i think they're way nicer than the foose speedsters...those wheels are too much BLING BLING. doesn't fit the JDM style...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
WOW Kennedy ?

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Privat Netz = $150 > Maya STM = $710...

Rims are like fashion these days, and it makes some folks feel good to run exotic, excessively expensive wheels in completely impractical scenarios, ... like daily driving to work...

What do you get for 5X the price?

1) Name... Check out my Maya, Dub, Volks, etc.

2) 1-2 lbs of saved unsprung weight... whoop te f'ing do.

3) Forged/stronger design... which is great, but most people curb thier rims before they ever put them in a scenario where the stronger rim would be an advantage. You're gonna curb em if you drive your car. Very seldom do you bend one, quite often you scrape one.

My 2 cents.
WOW, Kennedy aren't YOU the one suggesting Forged to me? And YOU are the

Volk KING. What 4 sets. Then WHY do you buy Volks?

Are the $150 Privates strong enough? I guess a bent lip isn't as common as I once believed. As you stated that curbing a wheel is MUCH more common then bending one.

Sorry to not answer the original question, I like the Netz, nice looking and LOW COST
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Privat Netz FTMFW!!!

Here are mine in Forge Grey....including a few taken at an autocross the morning I got the wheels put on!!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Racer

Keep what you have! Replace it!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Privat Netz!!! (biased opinion, I have 'em also)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Foose, all chrome, YUK. Period............................................ ..........
Old 07-17-2007, 01:27 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Foose, all chrome, YUK. Period............................................ ..........
finally JD, we agree on something
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
i agree with you..... actually i don't like any pictures of wheels in this thread that includes Maya, Netz, and Foose. they look too busy. I'd rather go with Volk or Works
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs down ALL Chrome looks Ghetto, IMHO

Originally Posted by Pizza4Everyone
i agree with you..... actually i don't like any pictures of wheels in this thread that includes Maya, Netz, and Foose. they look too busy. I'd rather go with Volk or Works
I have been doing alot of thinking and the Work Varianza and Volk GT-S, both in

silver are at the TOP of my list. Quality, class, great looking.

Foose are TOO "Look At Me" wheels. IMO