Flatspotting - only a cold weather thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatspotting - only a cold weather thing?

Guys - (this is not a complaint Steel ) I was under the impression that the flatspotting was more of a problem in the colder temps. I drove my car yesterday - normal commute etc. This morning - going to work on same roads etc - as soon as I left house and hit 60mph the car was shaking really bad - never done it like that before. After some warm up time (hard to tell when - commute is usually 80mph) it went away. Just curious why it was so bad this morning, much worse than other mornings. It was real warm yesterday - outside temp said 90 on commute home...so my long winded question is, is flatspotting a temperature thing or not - could the tire getting too HOT also flatspot it over night? I was making some agressive turns and driving on the way home last night. (p.s. no weights are missing etc.)

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

TBone2004: I have the same experience!!........so you are not the only one..... but I don't really mind it. A car is like a house...you know...it's never perfect...sometimes you have to fix alittle here and alittle there... that's where my friends comes in I don't have an answer for you... just...like to share my thoughts with you because I have the same kind of problem... I wouldn't call it a problem, rather an annoying that I can deal with.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the flatspotting is the result of temperature differentials; ie, warm tires when you parked last night and the morning low temp. The nylon belt takes a "set" as the tire cools and the set is not relieved until warmed up again. I am noticing the flatspotting with 65 degree days and 55 deg in my garage at night. It doesn't seem to be as severe as it was this past winter, though.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

SOooooo true - The house comparison is dead on. I was going to add that in my replies on the complaining thread, but sometimes I can ramble on.

When people say for this much money this car should have no problems etc. I remember thinking the more luxiourious a house (new construction that is) that there would be less problems etc. Not so at all. Relatives of mine were house hunting and I could not believe the workmanship was no better in the 1.2 million $ house, then in say my house when it was built (uh, not quite that high $$ ). Some cases it was even worse workmanship! So I agree, all cars have problems, and some may have all the problems and some may have none - I keep preaching - cars and houses are built by hand - you are gonna get problems...I don't care the make or cost of the car.

Umm, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, 'sup with the tires doing it on a hot day. Good explanation from another member - I'll be happy when these tires wear out.

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
A car is like a house...you know...it's never perfect...sometimes you have to fix alittle here and alittle there...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It can happen any time. It usually seems worse in the winter cause the tires have to warm up from a lower temperture and are stiffer when you first start driving. It usually only happens when you let the car sit for a period of time, but it seems many f you 3rd gen TL guys have problems with small periods of time between driving the car.

Your best bet is to get better tires when the factory stuff wears out. I never have problems on my car on either the stock tires or with my summer tires. Even my dads old BMW which is his toy car doesn't have issues with flatspotting usually and it will sometimes sit for a week or two before being driven.