Finally put the suspension and tires to the test against a Z06 (kind of lame)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Finally put the suspension and tires to the test against a Z06 (kind of lame)

It's kind of lame but I've been trying to make it to the track with no success so I take what I can get lol.

I was on the way to Vegas at 2AM on a Tuesday morning. We were literally the only cars on the road at the time so we may have been speeding a little. I'm following my friend in his Z06. Not the 500+hp one but the 405hp one. We're making good time, our average speed was 86mph for the entire trip which is harder than it sounds. As the 58 merges to the 15, there's a nice long left hand corner where you can really test out the handling. So we enter the corner at about 110mph and both of us are slightly accelerating. I'm catching him slightly and I saw a slight wiggle of the tail and he backed out. I purposely floored it just to see how much more traction was available and I was able to go by him pretty hard with the pedal to the floor and without the stability control kicking in. The fact that it didn't understeer or pull back the throttle tells me it had a good bit of traction left.

I believe the posted limit for the corner is 55mph and my exit speed was above 120. I'm not bragging about that but it's a way to gauge how tight the corner is. And again, we were literally the only cars on the road at the time and I could see waaaaay out in front of me. 2AM on a Tuesday morning.

I talked to him later and he admitted that he was at the limit of traction in the Vette. It's not much of a test of the car, it's more of a test of the tires but it's good to know that it it's current state the TL can hang with the best out there..... until I hit a straightaway. One steady state corner doesn't mean the TL would hang with the Z06 on a course even if both cars had equal power but the TL does feel just as responsive and transient response and balance is great. I really have to get it to the track soon.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!

I can't wait until my next track session.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Nice!

I can't wait until my next track session.
When/where/can I tag along???
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Easiest way to calculate how fast to go through a suggested area to have some fun with your car is to double the suggested speed and subtract about 10 MPH from that number.

SO if a curve has a suggested speed of 35, you can go 60. However this won't work in the mountains as you'll be over the edge and through the woods, to grandma's house we go....

The TL has great handling at higher speeds on some gradual to sharper turns, what kills it are the sudden turns at somewhat lower speeds. A few canards and aerodynamic enhancements would greatly help the TL with it's understeer, but with FWD it's naturally going to be there.