Finally completed the Tein Basics/Progress RSB install thoughts, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Finally completed the Tein Basics/Progress RSB install thoughts, questions

OK so I just finished my LOOONG awaited install of the Tein Basics. This is my last big install. My car is maxxed out people! There is almost nothing left to mod according to my original plans.

My cousin did most of the work at his shop while I directed and assisted. I am going to keep it short for now as I am exhausted but I had a few questions:

As I was installing the shocks I was looking for those 2 OEM washers to transfer and install onto the the Teins. I finally realized that the gold ones inside the dust boot were the ones they were talking about and they needed to be tapped out they were stuck on there pretty good. I only saw the black ones on TOP of the dust boots AFTER I installed them. I just shrugged my shoulders because they didn't look all that important and I didn't use them. I did use the gold ones, I realize they are necessary to hold the lower rubber bushings below the shock mounts in place. Were those black washers really necessary?

I have NO IDEA how you guys use those spring compressors!! THEY SUCK BIG TIME. We literally struggled with them for a couple of hours. I dunno if this is a first but we actually did our install WITHOUT using a spring compressor! Really! I dunno we just plain hated it. The stupid thing was made for 4X4s or something. I looked at AutoZone, Advance Auto and Pep Boys and they all carry the same damn thing. I know there is a smaller version out there made to use on smaller sport springs of cars like ours, I looked around, must be hard to find.

I know the top nut has to be tightened to 21.5 lb ft. torque but it was very hard to tighten the nut. I could only get it to about 15lbs torque and then the nut would keep rotating on the piston. I would try to hold it with my hands. (I know tools are not allowed on it) I just left it. Is it OK if it wasn't super tight? Is it OK to tighten the nut now while it is on the car to 21.5 lbs torque. I dunno the instructions/DIYs were not clear about this.

Were there any torque specs for any of the other bolts? My cousin wanted to keep using the impact wrench I hope nothing got threaded.

I dunno how you guys got to the rear shock mount bolts without taking the rear shelf out. We tried without taking it off and we just couldn't do it. I dreaded pulling that rear deck and pillar panels. I took it off a couple times which is easy. It's just putting that crap back that SUCKS big time!

Mechanically speaking it was much more simpler than I had anticipated but the install had it's fair share of hangups on the way. All in all it took us about 6 hrs. I didn't align it yet, thought I'd drive it about 50 miles and let it settle. I'll have him align it tomorrow.

Honestly with our inexperience I thought we were bound to screw something up but after test driving the car and listening for squeaks, rattles, looseness etc.....NOTHING! Looks like the install went just fine!

Quick impressions: The car feels simply great! The suspension definitely feels different and the bumps hit with a more tight firm feel. Feels MUCH more like a German car.....Hate to say BMW but that's what it reminds me of. I can see why some people may not like how the car takes bumps as compared to stock but I like it better this way. The ride is still VERY smooth and well controlled. No more float/dive/squat or lean. The car has definitely improved in handling on sharp turns. All the raves about the RSB at firm setting is true. LOVE IT! Took a few crazy turns on some chicanes that I know like the back of my hand late at night. The car was on rails. Very 3 seriesish (If only the steering could match that car I'd say if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell the difference.)

And with about 1.5" of drop the car looks gorgeously transformed. I am just trying to watch those potholes/parking blocks and steep driveways now. Pics to come!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get some pics up man!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 AM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome dude, finally got them installed. You will love them!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So if I'm reading your review correctly, you're saying you didn't sacrafice much ride comfort? If the car drives similar to a BMW then I'm certainly not worried about ride comfort.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

its about time you installed them.gheywave:..........
Old 08-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by milk man
its about time you installed them.gheywave:..........
motion seconded!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 AM
King of NYC

OK I knew I was going to get those smileys! You picture whores. If it's one thing I know about AZ it's that a thread doesn't get any attention unless it's gots PICS! I thought you guys have seen Teins before.....but of course these are on MY ride......lol. OK, here you go but I gotta warn you the car was not washed!:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I set it right at spec....at that adjustment 1" above. It looks like it is lowered at the perfect drop. Call me a moron but I want to maybe go down .25"?? Anybody concur? I know it goes against all sane judgement because I am bound to scrape something with my bodykit. (I have puddle lights too!) We had trouble taking the car off the lift during install, lol. We had to JACK it to get it off the lift supports!! Still for some reason I feel like if you are going to lower it....might as well slam it?!?

Originally Posted by NJDEE
So if I'm reading your review correctly, you're saying you didn't sacrafice much ride comfort? If the car drives similar to a BMW then I'm certainly not worried about ride comfort.
Ummmm OK I take some of that back, lol. I guess it was the excitement of getting this done. I drove it today on rougher road and yeah.....it's firmer than a Bimmer. I still have to drive it a bit to make some judgements. Imagine a stock BMW on 20s or something, that's what it feels like.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
iScrape going into

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
OK I knew I was going to get those smileys! You picture whores. If it's one thing I know about AZ it's that a thread doesn't get any attention unless it's gots PICS! I thought you guys have seen Teins before.....but of course these are on MY ride......lol. OK, here you go but I gotta warn you the car was not washed!:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I set it right at spec....at that adjustment 1" above. It looks like it is lowered at the perfect drop. Call me a moron but I want to maybe go down .25"?? Anybody concur? I know it goes against all sane judgement because I am bound to scrape something with my bodykit. (I have puddle lights too!) We had trouble taking the car off the lift during install, lol. We had to JACK it to get it off the lift supports!! Still for some reason I feel like if you are going to lower it....might as well slam it?!?

Ummmm OK I take some of that back, lol. I guess it was the excitement of getting this done. I drove it today on rougher road and yeah.....it's firmer than a Bimmer. I still have to drive it a bit to make some judgements. Imagine a stock BMW on 20s or something, that's what it feels like.
I say slam it, you gotta pay to play.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Type- (S)low

Yeh. dude. Why buy all that if you want it to look stock. LOL.....
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NICE!!....im think about either coilover or the A-spec.....just not sure if i wanna be bothered with the trouble of worry about steep driveways and or speed bumps...im from the CHI and around here, its not the smoothest roads....lol. are you on the A-Spec suspension in the before photo??
Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Full A-Spec 08 CBP TL-S

what did you have before, just stock or a-spec
Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice pics your car looks real good....it looked like a 4x4 befor but much better now
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
the drop is what you needed from the before and after pics.. came out nice. its possible to install the rears w/o taking the deck out.. just have to work in small turns, I did mines like that, but as you mentioned mechanically more room. whatever works
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM
King of NYC

Many people thought I had a mild drop before but nope, just stock.

I was in Chi-town last year and I know the roads are not perfect. Here in CT they aren't that much better but honestly NY roads are WAY worse than anywhere. That's where I have to watch it! I went through some big bumps today and yep it was a bit harsher than with my stock setup but still it dosen't bother me at all. Still feels tight and rock solid. Whatever this suspension can do at speed and on the twistys makes up for it 10 fold!

I still want to go lower but I scraped today somewhere VERY lightly over a speed bump.....I was SO scared I busted my puddle lights but I didn't. Makes me want to make them recessed now.....but that is a HUGE project!

I probably could have taken the rears w/o the deck out but my cousin didn't have the right tools. (shoulda brought mine from home!) He keeps insisting I need a camber kit. I told him I am more worried about toe. I don't think it's too aggressive a drop to worry about it and I don't see any camber issue at least VISUALLY. I need a proper alignment, my car is just eating through tires!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Racer

I just did my tein ss two weeks ago and set it up to the standard one inch. I had to have someone pull out the lift arm while i picked up on the fender because it was so low. I eventually adjusted it up so its not slammed. All the diveways in hamden are to steep so i ended up scraping the bumper cover up a little.
I thought the ride was a little harsh so i adjusted them down to the standard 8 (it was at 16, max stiffness)
When i did the alignment on it i found that my fronts were still in spec and the rear camber was out just a hair. The rear toe was a quater inch in so i did have to adjust that. But i would say if it was still slammed i probbly would need the camber kit
Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by djbonsu
NICE!!....im think about either coilover or the A-spec.....just not sure if i wanna be bothered with the trouble of worry about steep driveways and or speed bumps...im from the CHI and around here, its not the smoothest roads....lol. are you on the A-Spec suspension in the before photo??
Looks like a base with base suspension. I'm in the same boat as you, regarding whether or not to upgrade to A-spec ( also considering H&R / Koni). I'd say the max the a-spec will lower you is about .75 (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but with 18s and the a-spec kit, the car will appear lower. To me a stock aspec looks low enough for me, especially on Northern NJ / NYC roads. Another deciding factor is that the a-spec is a properly matched OEM system.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
next month i will be ordering my Tein SS. I want to get the EDFC but i keep hearing that they are hard to find, but i could be wrong.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 PM
@ cur @

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice drop. How do they feel on the road? I'm very close to buying a set for me 2nd gen. I was hoping to get some reviews on them before hand. $900 is a reasonable price for Teins, but I just want to make sure I'm getting what I will pay for...
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

I know the gold washer is very important. Not sure about the black ones. I know I did because the instruction said so. If you hear anything pop that means the black washer was needed haha. As for tightening the nut on top. Did you lower your car to the ground before torquing it? I would say the TL is the hardest to remove the shocks on the rear. I did 3 installs on different cars and I hate dealing with the rear on the TL. However I managed to get to it w/o removing the rear deck. Man I wonder how the Basics compare to SS before I bought my SS. I think the height on the front needs to be lower a tad bit and its perfect.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
el bolo loco

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jokerman826
next month i will be ordering my Tein SS. I want to get the EDFC but i keep hearing that they are hard to find, but i could be wrong.
get it from marcus at heel toe. go to the blackmarket section and click on sponsors