Feathered / Cupped Tires & Allignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feathered / Cupped Tires & Allignment

After hitting about 10K, I decided to rotate my tires. I've always heard some noise in the back tires and I've thought it was normal. After putting the back tires in the front, that same noise was now in the front. This is when I found out that my tires were cupped / feathered in the back.

I took it to my Acura dealer and asked if they had done any allignment for my A-spec suspension and they flat out said "No, because it's not neccessary." Fortunately for me, I found the Acura's A-spec Suspension Install Manual and it CLEARLY STATES that the allignment is a requirement for the new suspension.

I took that in and without much argument, they did the allignment to the A-spec suspension specs and along with that, gave me brand new tires.

If you have A-spec suspension, make sure they did an allignement. Specs for A-spec suspension and normal suspension is different and allignment is a MUST!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem. However, I did get an alignment done after the time of the suspension install - atleast I was charged for it.

I've read that a lot of people have experienced this same problem with the A-Spec suspension. As I write this my tire shop is shaving my Toyo tires to help even out the wear (they're almost brand new, just 7k on them). But I need to verify my alignment after.

Do you have those numbers? I glanced over a few posts that there were newer specs for alignment. Do you have your aligment sheet handy?

Thanks!
Collin
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by sybaek3
After hitting about 10K, I decided to rotate my tires. I've always heard some noise in the back tires and I've thought it was normal. After putting the back tires in the front, that same noise was now in the front. This is when I found out that my tires were cupped / feathered in the back.

I took it to my Acura dealer and asked if they had done any allignment for my A-spec suspension and they flat out said "No, because it's not neccessary." Fortunately for me, I found the Acura's A-spec Suspension Install Manual and it CLEARLY STATES that the allignment is a requirement for the new suspension.

I took that in and without much argument, they did the allignment to the A-spec suspension specs and along with that, gave me brand new tires.

If you have A-spec suspension, make sure they did an allignement. Specs for A-spec suspension and normal suspension is different and allignment is a MUST!

Was it Pohanka?

Man you really should rotate your tires more often than 10K. It will really save your tires. And from what I've read on the board the TL goes though tires fast, some more than others, but faster than any other car I've owned.